Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Blue Star posted:

Not to sound heartless but...who cares? All of those sound like things that are either men's own fault, or natural consequences of biological sex differences. Maybe boys just plain aren't as smart as girls? Maybe men don't live as long as women because of innate biological reasons that lifestyle, diet, exercise, healthcare, etc. can only do so much to alleviate? Maybe boys commit suicide more often because they're more emotionally fragile and mentally weaker than girls? Girls have it tougher than boys and yet they don't commit suicide as often. i wonder why that is?

This is a bunch of :biotruths: bullshit that would rightfully get shouted down as nonsense if it were about women instead of men.

Blue Star posted:

Believe me: I'm a trans woman and I know all too well that biological sex is a thing. It matters. Male human beings are different from female human beings. I'll never be a real woman.

I'm a trans woman and I'm a real woman, thanks.

Men and women are different, sure, but I think it's ignorant in the extreme to simply turn around and try and blame all discrepancies between the genders on that, simply because men now lag women in some respects.

How is that any better from some rear end in a top hat saying "maybe women are just inherently inferior at math and engineering" when talking about the gender discrepancies in STEM careers?

Edit: I feel like I'm missing a joke where someone took an MRA rant and swapped genders

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

You are right that it would be shouted down instantly, but get this: maybe that isn't a good thing??

"Maybe boys just plain aren't as smart as girls?" and "Maybe girls just plain aren't as smart as boys?" should be shot down if there's no evidence to support it. If you or Blue Star want to start supporting that kind of claim I'll read it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The problem with the :biotruths: argument presented without any evidence is that the answer to any question can easily become "because men and women are different".

I think it's better to start with the assumption that men and women are not so horribly different unless there is some good evidence otherwise.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What you guys never seem to get is that there's no projection needed, you display more than enough bad behavior right here in these kinds of conversations. And the problem with being a selfish lover is not lack of virility, but it says quite a bit about you that you think it is.

You're incredibly hostile to anyone that disagrees with you, and throw in personal attacks that only serve to turn the thread into a flame war. I agree with almost all of the actual points you've been making, but making cracks about the masculinity and sexual ability of male posters you disagree with is only perpetuating the same macho bullshit culture this thread is about.

If you're interested in having a discussion instead of just flaming people you disagree with I think your approach is counterproductive.

Phyzzle posted:

P.S. Guy Goodbody and rudatron, chore charts are not "the solution" - for that particular guy in that particular article you were pointing to. They're no doubt a good solution for lots of people, but that guy would never have really agreed to or followed such a list. He needed an attitude adjustment, before any re-organization.

This, exactly. It's not the stupid dishes, it's the attitude that leaving them by the sink all the time represents, and the lack of respect for his wife that it indicates. You don't solve that with a chore wheel.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread