Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There is a famous anecdote in which a feminist author was giving an invited talk on women's studies. She was taking questions at the end, and after a while she said, "It's getting late, and we have time for maybe one for question." SHOOP, every woman's hand drops while the men keep their hands raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

What's the lesson from this? That the women should have kept their hands up and insisted on being heard, or that the men are bad and should have shut up?

Option (a), ideally. But option (b) could be called, like, a form of affirmative action by conscientious men in a less-than-ideal world.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

boner confessor posted:

men are often taught that, despite glaring inadequacies, they should speak up and assert themselves when they have nothing interesting to say or nothing valuable to contribute.

icantfindaname posted:

What's the problem with that? Why shouldn't mediocre and inadequate women speak up and assert themselves too?

"Inadequacies" as in "Inadequate knowledge", or Ignorance. Not . . . inadequate looks or muscles or penises or whatever else you might be thinking.

It is bad for ignorant people to speak up and assert themselves, because this is pretending to know what they are talking about. It is bad when men feel pressured to pretend something like that.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Believe me: I'm a trans woman and I know all too well that biological sex is a thing. It matters. Male human beings are different from female human beings. I'll never be a real woman.

Huh. I guess trans issues fit in this thread, so I'll ask: wouldn't virtually any feminist, or virtually any other trans woman, ferociously disagree with you on that?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've heard these stats a few times, but haven't ever seen a theory as to why. Is it just that men are more likely to own guns, for instance?

One hypothesis is cleanliness: women are much more unnerved than men at leaving a hideous corpse and a surrounding mess for people to judge them by posthumously.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
All I could think when reading the Politics of Housework was, "But most men around here do in fact know what 100% of the housework is like."

quote:

8. Most men had a rich and rewarding bachelor life during which they did not starve or become encrusted with crud or buried under the liner. There is a taboo that says women mustn' t strain themselves in the presence of men-we haul around 50 pounds of groceries if we have to but aren't allowed to open a jar if there is someone around to do it for us. The reverse side of the coin is that men aren't supposed to be able to take care of themselves without a woman. Both are excuses for making women do the housework.

This is such an odd response . . . Was there an entire paragraph after that first sentence that got accidentally deleted from the original 1970 article?

P.S. Guy Goodbody and rudatron, chore charts are not "the solution" - for that particular guy in that particular article you were pointing to. They're no doubt a good solution for lots of people, but that guy would never have really agreed to or followed such a list. He needed an attitude adjustment, before any re-organization.

Phyzzle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 29, 2016

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
To port a question from the other thread:

quote:

men are told to pretend to listen by other men (my father's advice for my first date was to pretend to listen and agree with everything she says), and that women aren't really saying anything interesting or important (when women complain about their day, they don't want advice, they just want to vent, so just pretend to listen, it's not very important),

OwlFancier posted:

It's very strange coming from a background without any men in it, hearing stuff like this.

I mean yeah I sort of agree that sometimes people just want to vent and if you can't offer advice you can at least offer a sympathetic ear but the operative word is sympathetic, which requires listening.

Do you feel that there is an age related distinction in this sort of weird sexual segregation? Again I don't really have a very good perspective given I have near zero male presence in my life but I can't imagine many people my age going round actually internalizing this weird idea that women and men are separate species. But then my social circles were always fairly integrated gender-wise. Does it still proliferate?

I remember hearing, "You should play off all of her serious questions, and indulge all of her whims. Women experience this as 'Romance'."

I guess internet-accessible dating advice must have improved somewhat in the last decade? For men, the options used to be pretty much PUA sites.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm just going to stop this slapfight before it starts and say that if someone thinks another poster is being too aggressive, they can report it or PM a mod.

To clarify, if someone thinks another poster was racist or lovely in other threads, should they post here about her being a literal klan member and speculate on how dynamite she would be for a roll in the sack? Or should that also be left out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Wasting posted:

Honestly, everything you've said is an exaggeration and ridiculous, and I hope anyone else reading can see that.

Wasting is willing to apologize when wrong, but oh man, that short-term memory is not firing on all cylinders. I may be going way out on a limb, but he is talking exactly like a very experienced, high functioning alcoholic who has just had a lot to drink.

Wasting posted:

Where did I accuse any of you of being on the latter [an attempt to control women]?
He is shown:

Wasting posted:

I, personally, believe that a lot of the ideas expressed in this thread are rooted in a more fundamental sexism masquerading as concern over the exploitation of women. That we need to protect them from themselves and their own sexuality.
Then shrugs & agrees that he said it.

Wasting posted:

That's fair. I can't say why any of you write the things you do, and maybe I shouldn't have written as such. But I'm always suspicious of an opinion when it aligns with a real issue.

So the rest went:

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps we can suggest that men should not patronize industries complicit with the exploitation of women?

Wasting posted:

You're demonizing sexuality, sex workers, and exotic dancers on the assumption that there are better, more puritan careers for them to engage in. It's ridiculous.
huh?

Who What Now posted:

I just want you to stop making poo poo up about anyone here "demonizing" people when that's clearly not something that's happening.

Wasting posted:

Okay.

Edit: Maybe I'm not smart enough to engage on the issue here, but can you see it?

Who What Now posted:

Can I see what? Strippers being demonized? No, I really can't. I simply don't know how your brain is making the leap from one to the other.

Wasting posted:

I agree with your first quotation 100%. Reread what I've posted.

What first quotation? Did WhoWhatNow post a few quotations? Who is 'your'? I mean, exactly like he's drunk as hell with a vestigial command of grammar.

Phyzzle fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread