Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It is surprising that men would not deal with the issues Kubrick mentioned effectively. Is it just that we are too tunnel-visioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Men do this to each other just as much as they do to women, it just looks more stupid when they do. Just today on another thread someone felt the need to explain technology to me that I already knew about, apparently there was a danger I might not have understood what I was discussing with someone else. The need to be right is just as powerful as the need to patronize, and it infects all men to some degree, myself included.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

boner confessor posted:

why do you say it looks "more stupid" when men assume ignorance among men? wouldn't it be equally stupid? could there be an expectation that women wouldn't know things?

To a certain kind of man, it's like getting to play in a lower league than he's used to, free kicks all round. The beta gets to feel like a bully.

Let us English posted:

Men do do it to each other, but it's usually done as a power play. It becomes an easy thing to do to women if one thinks they are automatically more powerful than any woman in the room.

The anxieties of a pecking order get their release in this fashion.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

botany posted:

Men do over explain to other men, that is true. But at a lower rate than to women in my experience (and the experience of other lecturers that I've talked to). And women almost never do it to men.

I'm not disagreeing here, I think it's actually worse on the internet than face to face, and it may not be borne out by your experience but from men's point of view there's little difference. Men feel explained-to a lot, perhaps they measure their social inferiority by it.

It's the same with privilege playing victim, they don't actually see the difference, but they imagine they're being victimized. It's almost a siege mentality. They're ready to attack on the assumption they're always being patronized (of course there are exceptions). Men also feel better if they think they can successfully compete in a different domain than the one they assume for their "competitor". With women this can be anything, but it's just as instructive to see how men boost their egos by comparing each others occupations and don't get them started on sports.

The assumption of baseline competency is a measure (to men) of where on the ladder you are. Read any technical discussion and see just how impatient men are with each other when they assume an understanding that isn't there, that's the flip side. Women mostly do not feel the need to compete like this and even if some men don't, they still fear being explained-to.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Defenestration posted:

doing the Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers reviews in the political forward thread, I certainly notice a theme of gun nuttery paired with toxic masculinity resulting in claims like "if you so much as set foot within a thousand yards of me on my property I will straight murder you because that's what men do"

There's definitely a connection with the whole "stolen valor" thing. That is, desperation to be valued in a hierarchy that can't be questioned, but there's probably an American cultural thing feeding into that. It doesn't really work like that here in Australia for example.

• Locked thread