Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I suspect strongly, but would need an actual psychologist or sociologist or something to back this up, that you see increased suicide rates in men because men are culturally encouraged to not express emotion. So more men are pushed to that level of desperation. But that's very much an offhand hypothesis.

The statistics still say women attempt suicide more often. If anything is to be read into it about society and culture, it is that suicidal men usually have access to more successful means of killing themselves.

Half of all suicides are by firearm, and I'm sure access to firearms skews heavily male.

Also, women have their own set of pressures towards hiding emotions. Men may be encouraged to be stoic, but women are encouraged to smile and be pleasant. And the stigma of a mental health issue is bad no matter what your gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Defenestration posted:

oh, a libertarian?

I'm told libertarians of color exist but I honestly don't understand how. You need like a massive amount of privilege and willful ignorance about how it works to remain a libertarian

That's nothing. There are African-American Sovereign Citizen groups out there. But maybe that is just a whole other level of crazy.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What was your education like, guys?

Boys were definitely disciplined more. For the same offenses, girls would get a talking to by the teacher, but boys would be sent right to the principal and on into the formal discipline procedures. Which meant that by the time you got to detention and Saturday school, it was mostly boys. Girls might be chatterboxes, but boys talking were a classroom disruption, and that was breaking an actual rule.

There were things that boys were told they weren't good at, and things boys were told they shouldn't be good at.

Early on it was made very clear that boys were not as good as girls with reading and writing. And it wasn't so much that you would be discouraged from doing it, but more that if you were bad, no one expected you to get better. My brother got all the way to high school being functionally illiterate.

The only science I recall being better for boys was the more hands on or math heavy physics. Building paper bridges and calculating how far a toy car would roll. Biology seemed pretty balanced, but at that level it was mostly just memorizing the parts of cells and classes of animals.

I'm not sure if it was deliberate at my high school, but the top ranked boys sport (wrestling) got as much attention and praise as the top ranked girls sport (water polo). So both boys and girls sports were encouraged.

Things that you shouldn't do, or were discouraged, we're the typical stuff like sewing, gymnastics, dance. Art was kind of a gray area, but art teachers were also all women. With so.many teachers being women, there weren't many male role models to encourage boys to do much of anything. I ended up doing machine shop for 3 years in a row.

This was the mid 90's, and girls were very much encouraged to do well in anything that was traditionally dominated by men. "Boys are so smart" was not a thing, at least at my school. And neither was treating learning as bad. It was also the time when Ritalin became huge, and ADHD was a problem only boys seemed to have. In retrospect, it was an awkward time to be a boy. The teachers coming in weren't working as hard to uphold patriarchy (they were mostly liberal women), and a lot of adolescent male behavior was being criminalized and pathologized.

In all honestly, there are a lot of perks to being a man. My experience in k-12 was not one of them. At almost 40 years old, the k-12 years were hands down the most miserable in my life so far. I also have a son in high school now, and it is interesting that he has many of he same struggles with the school system.

Toxic masculinity is bad an all. But treating it with special ed, medication, and expulsion, isn't really filling the vacuum left behind.

• Locked thread