Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blue Star posted:

Girls have it tougher than boys and yet they don't commit suicide as often. i wonder why that is?
I think a big part of that is that, directly or indirectly, boys are constantly told that they need to make the tough decisions and man the fort, whereas girls are told that they don't really own their own bodies and shouldn't show themselves up. Ending one's own life has been spoken of as the ultimate act of self ownership by some philosophers.

That's why suicidality in men more often takes the form of feeling that they've exhausted all reasonable options and are choosing to end it all, whereas women are more likely to 'ask permission' in the form of parasuicides, suicidal gestures not intended to be fatal. And then they often end up in the coercive/abusive systems of treatment for that, as a result of being 'attempted suicides'.

I don't think either of those outcomes are good, and we should be looking at the root overall causes, alienation, poverty, debt, etc. that drive people to those ends, because the alternatives (that we start telling boys they don't own their bodies or we accept increased female suicide as a sign of equality or we over-medicalize the whole thing) are all really gross.

Phyzzle posted:

Huh. I guess trans issues fit in this thread, so I'll ask: wouldn't virtually any feminist, or virtually any other trans woman, ferociously disagree with you on that?
There are a group of second wave feminists who are transphobic as all hell and seem to have a bully pulpit from the British press for it as a result of being good on women's rights a few decades ago. Most newer feminists either distance themselves from them or try to only focus on the good they did (which might be yeah-buttery), but I'm not sure about more traditional feminists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

I suspect strongly, but would need an actual psychologist or sociologist or something to back this up, that you see increased suicide rates in men because men are culturally encouraged to not express emotion. So more men are pushed to that level of desperation. But that's very much an offhand hypothesis.
If it were just that though, you wouldn't see increased parasuicide rates in women above that of the suicide rate in men.

That possibly points to there being more women than men who wish to end their lives, but that women are conditioned to believe that they have less bodily autonomy over the matter than men do, and/or that men are more conditioned that they have to 'do it right if they do it at all, no half measures'. Both are different and toxic attitudes arising from patriarchal society.

Unfortunately a lot of the male-focused suicide prevention campaigns seem to think that just talking more will reduce the disparity between male and female suicide rates, ignoring the parasuicides and their consequences, rather than any attempt to address root causes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stone cold posted:

Breathing in dander and dust and having allergy attacks because vacuuming is unreasonable: nothing gets past this guy!
There's some interesting research that suggests a link between modern obsessive hygiene standards and the increase in allergies and autoimmune disorders, especially the hygiene hypothesis and the old friends hypothesis.

There's also research showing a link between modern obsessive hygiene standards and not dying of typhoid fever though, so it can go both ways.

More relevant to the deleterious effects of patriarchy on men themselves rather than on households, one of my friends just linked me the TimeCube of Unexamined Male Privilege.

• Locked thread