Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Let's consider for a moment, the expectations and ideals we're supposed to fill and aspire to hold.

So called 'masculine' traits such as: Independence, strength of body, ruggedness, volitile temperment, indifference, intelligence, logic, STEM aptitude, emotional distance, leadership, ambition, competitiveness, powerful voice, athleticism, high income, sexually aggressive, sexually insatiable and more.

And then 'feminine' traits that are seen as aberrant or womanly, even homosexual in nature: Empathy, sympathy, eloquence, kindness, cleanliness, emotionally open, low income, physically inept, soft skin, soft voice, contentedness, depression, liberal arts aptitude, paternal instinct, love of children, etc.

How do we go about breaking this stuff down? It's not all negative, and certainly not limited to men (clearly women have nearly the opposite expectations). I want to see a country where both the cowboy and the nurse are seen as male roles to aspire to. Taking care of children is another big one. The biggest thing in my life is being called "Daddy!" by my little boy. That shouldn't be seen as off, or soft. How do we fix it? Especially in the age of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

the trump tutelage posted:

I'm still trying to understand why, in the scenario where the man doesn't care (and doesn't expect the woman to care), and maybe isn't even aware of the woman's dissatisfaction, it's not incumbent on the woman to bring the issue to the forefront even if it's unfair or sexist that she has to. To say she doesn't seems like you're privileging being right than actually materially improving the lives.

Or, in the above scenario, why it's the responsibility of the man to become more cleanly and not the woman to relax her standards.

Feminism explains the Darwinian Why of the situation, but how does it uniquely propose to resolve it?

Christ man, have some goddamn pride in your living space. Living in squalor isn't a badge of honor. Nobody is impressed with how dingy the place is. Know what people DO get impressed by? A well kept house. In said scenario, the guy has no pride. He "doesn't care," while she does. That's an obvious disparity in the relationship. The answer is "because she cares."

• Locked thread