Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

falcon2424 posted:

This is why we shouldn't mix up movements and ideologies.

Ideologies have infinite space. People could write a billion books on men. There will still be paper for books on women.

Movements don't have infinite space. A meeting lasts an hour. Each minute on men is a minute that's not spent on women.

So, male equality is (and should be) part of Feminism the ideology. But, if there are men's issues that need attention, that attention should come from its own social movement.

My only problem with this is that Feminism is largely based in womens' experiences and that a Male Feminist movement could devolve through the "blind leading the blind". It's why I'm skeptical of the idea that people who most benefit from privilege should self-educate themselves on social justice ideologies based in subjective experiences they'll never face; how do you know their own subjective experiences won't lead them to develop alternative explanations and viewpoints that in-places contradict or bowdlerize the parent movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

the trump tutelage posted:

Why is this bad? Is there something sacred about the subaltern experience?

e.
Parse what you just said.

"How can you be sure they'll be indoctrinated uncritically accept the prescribed view?"

I don't necessarily agree with it myself, but the common refrain I see with social justice discussions is that the privileged should "be quiet, listen, and believe" (unless an individual in an oppressed group disagrees with their position, in which case ignore that individual)

• Locked thread