Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is a bunch of :biotruths: bullshit that would rightfully get shouted down as nonsense if it were about women instead of men.

You are right that it would be shouted down instantly, but get this: maybe that isn't a good thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Posting about my lazy boyfriend's male privilege as I mow the lawn for him.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

You've had some terrible relationships.

Nah. Saying you won't do something for your SO because they are acting like a jerk is normal and fine.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

the trump tutelage posted:

We have a concrete goal: teach men to value housework appropriately and to do their fair share. Never mind subjective standards of cleanliness, the issue is ultimately about the division of labor. Okay - what is an actually practicable way to achieve this?
Housework strike.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yikes brae. How about you go shitblast on some other thread?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Defenestration posted:

wait, what? Can you say more about this?

Causing pain to others is bad, yes...

It's more complicated than that. Those types of physical pranks can be a type bonding ritual.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What would it mean to consent to a prank in this context?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I really understand it myself... You don't need to rely on pain to be friends with someone...

Like unless you're a masochist there is nothing positive about pain.

I understand exactly what he's talking about and I used almost the exact same phrase to describe it.

Pain can feel very good in and of itself. Like after a long run for instance.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It disturbs me how quick some people are to pathologize normal boyhood behavior like roughhousing.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Are you able to articulate why pain is a productive sensation?

Are you able to articulate why one of our senses would be entirely "unproductive"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Because causing people pain, in most circumstances, is something that does not feel good. That's sort of inherently the point of pain is it's something you feel as a warning to stop you doing whatever you're doing.

While it is possible for pain to be enjoyed, if you're a masochist, I see no reason to encourage people to rely on it.

It's like... shouting. You should, as a rule, avoid shouting, and not be taught to use it in conversation, because the effect is that people who can shout louder and with more inclination to shout can dominate the conversation. While it may have some situational applications the default should be "don't do it" because the legitimate applications of it are limited and niche.

There's nothing about inflicting pain on people that can't be substituted for other means. I see no reason to encourage something so intertwined with violence and domination because "it feels good" many things feel good, that doesn't mean we should do them.
We aren't talking about "most circumstances" here. We are talking about a specific circumstance or set of circumstances. Pain as a warning is only one function of pain, it also can signify hard work or improvement. It can also trigger a "shock" emotion like being startled which is fun in hindsight. Masochistic can mean a sexual kink or an appreciation of pain so you are going to have to be more specific.

Nobody is saying that we should encourage others to "rely on" enjoying pain. That's a total strawman. Nobody is saying that there aren't other ways boys can and do bond. That being said, I see take issue with the way you are trying to paint roughhousing as inherently problematic. Its perfectly acceptable form of play between friends and is only being defended in the context of friends.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 2, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Then I think you could stand to be far more specific about what "roughhousing" entails because I would hope you would be aware of how that is tied up with masculine socialization towards being OK with violence in general and being "tough".

We're already discussing one specific type of roughhouse, (the towel whip) so why not just stick with it? What do you mean by masochistic?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It its impossible to get somebody's consent to prank them. Pranks are still good though.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The lack of respect for the lived experiences of other people itt is sad but unsurprising.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Has it perhaps occured to you that I might have a lived experience which leads me to the conclusions I draw?

Had it occurred to you that your lived experience isn't an authority on the lived experiences of other people?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not the one pathologizing normal childhood behavior as masochistic.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

You are trying to normalize it such that anything else is pathological.

I don't have to try and normalize roughhousing. Its already normal, thankfully.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Neither is anybody else. Whipping the poo poo out of one another isn't normal childhood behavior.

Actually, roughhousing is extremely normal childhood behavior.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TB and WWN are really making GBS threads up this thread. Please do not encourage them in their attempts to lock out discussion they disagree with.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Plenty of people are suggesting that pranking is inherently problematic but nobody is even trying to defend it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

You've been defending pranking this whole time, dude. Can you not even follow your own posts?

Nobody is defending the idea that pranking is bad. Like, with arguments. Except Owlfancier who is claiming that pain is a bad thing by default.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 2, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

That's not true, TB tried to tie pranking to racist arson attacks.

Naw, she 's just been trying to start a meme that I'm klan member. :jerkbag:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Its easy to see here how some men might feel unwelcome in feminist discussion. Roughhousing as described in this thread is big part of male culture, it sad to see it disregarded so thoughtlessly.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

The subject of the thread is how elements of male culture can be harmful to men, the socialization of pain and potential victimization as normal is a very good fit for that.

The pathologization of normal male behavior is also harmful to men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yo, what is this discussion even about. Because all I'm seeing is three pages of "actually, you are" and I can't even tell what the topic is.

Whether roughhousing is inherently problematic.

• Locked thread