Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Maybe this thread would be better then...What are some issues that are exclusive to women?

I can think of one.

Because something I've noticed on the occasions I attempt to educate myself via online feminism, the narrative is immediately seized by virtue signaling people who see feminism not as the notion of equality of all people, but as a club they get to exclude people from.

The next question is what are the issues modern feminism is facing and how can those issues be addressed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I agree with this. I think there's a lot to be gained from building a male-centric movement that tackles men's issues through a feminist lens. Right now, a ton of men take their problems into anti-feminist spaces that fill their heads up with a lot of garbage, and we end up with the horrors of the "men's right's movement".

The negative issues generated by forcing people to fit into the male gender role creates a lot of suppressed insecurity and anger, and it seems like these anti-feminist spaces are some of the very few places where men (especially young men) feel it's safe to open up about their frustrations and say whatever they want, no matter how embarrassing or problematic. And in exchange for a safe space where it's okay to vent freely, they're fed reactionary nonsense that encourages them to view feminism as the root of all male weakness and insecurity, and patriarchy as the antidote to their personal suffering.

I think if we could create feminist versions of these male spaces out there that allowed this kind of venting and offered men a counter-narrative that correctly puts their problems into the context of harmful gender roles and toxic masculinity, we could take the wind out of anti-feminist movements.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a legit thread or if it's a half-assed attempt to save the feminism thread from a dumb slap fight/derail, but either way, sincere discussion about this thread's topic absolutely needs to happen, imo. I hope this thread doesn't end up a total dumpster fire and/or forgotten in a day.

Alright so let's start by identifying problems men face.

Many of the MRA talking points are just wrong, for example child custody battles, however a few incorrect assumptions doesn't invalidate all concerns.

So what factual concerns are there that men face?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:rolleyes:
That was a common ground starting point, you start with the obvious then you invite others to contribute.

So maybe contribute rather then poo poo post?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

overconfidence despite evident inadequacy and mediocrity, for one

How does feminism solve this issue?

And why is "mediocrity" a character flaw in your opinion?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kubrick posted:

Along with what UV_Catastrophe mentioned, the President's Counsil on Men and Boys is a good place to start: http://whitehouseboysmen.org/one-pager

"A nationwide crisis of boys and men already exists. The Commission identifies five components:

• Education. Boys are behind girls in almost every subject, especially reading and writing. Yet boy-friendly programs (e.g., recess and vocational education) are being curtailed.

• Jobs. Our sons are not being prepared for jobs where the jobs will be. Yet women rarely marry men in unemployment lines.

• Fatherlessness. A third of boys are raised in father-absent homes; yet boys and girls with significant father involvement do better in more than 25 areas.

• Physical health. Life expectancy has gone from one to five years less for males than for females, yet federal offices of boys and men’s health are non-existent.

• Emotional health. Boys’ suicide rate goes from equal to girls to five times girls’ between ages 13 and 20, as boys feel the pressures of the male role."

Thanks!

• Locked thread