Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

punched my v-card at camp posted:

The one real critique of feminist practices in this regard is that I think that feminist men need to do more work to reach young men, and offer a constructive alternative to the reddit cesspools. Right now a lot of impressionable young men are starting with questions like "why can't I get a date?" and ending up with the answer "because feminists and cucks are destroying male america" because the spaces they go with the question are radicalizing them.

This is the number one motivating factor for lots of MRA types I think, they just can't get a date. Unfortunately, introspection, self-evaluation, and acknowledgment of personal flaws are discouraged in men. This is compounded when young men internalize objectification of women. This makes it harder for men to step back and look at themselves in order to evaluate themselves. In this toxic environment many men don't think to ask themselves, "Who am I? What do I bring to the people in my life? What would another person find attractive in me?"
I think this is also why a lot of guys dress like poo poo. They've never thought to evaluate themselves from an outside perspective. Doing so is unmanly.

This leads to a lot of PUA bullshit. Because it frames getting laid as a game where the subject (the man) can manipulate the object (the woman). It probably wouldn't sell, but that scene wouldn't be nearly as toxic if the message was about improving oneself for ones own benefit and to be more attractive to potential romantic partners.

ewe2 posted:

Men do this to each other just as much as they do to women, it just looks more stupid when they do. Just today on another thread someone felt the need to explain technology to me that I already knew about, apparently there was a danger I might not have understood what I was discussing with someone else. The need to be right is just as powerful as the need to patronize, and it infects all men to some degree, myself included.

I used to see this a lot in the video game industry. I'd be at an event or party with a group of people talking shop and then some idiot dude (usually on the younger side) would feel the need to explain the conversation to a woman or group of women who had bee full participants in the discussion all along. It was always cringe inducing.

Men do do it to each other, but it's usually done as a power play. It becomes an easy thing to do to women if one thinks they are automatically more powerful than any woman in the room.

Unfortunately, the internet is a machine that takes good arguments and distorts them into self-parody and now I see the word 'mansplaining' used whenever a woman and a man disagree.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

He loafs and sulks and whines and takes endlessly while never giving, duh. I'm sure he's dynamite in bed.

Your projecting of bad behavior onto other posters in neither productive or informative. Bonus points for non-sequitur dig at the posters masculinity in a thread made for the express purpose of discussing toxic masculinity on men. I suggest sticking with the classics and insinuating he has a small penis next.

Xibanya posted:

could also tie in with men being less willing to seek treatment for depression due to socialization. Had an issue with my partner where he would do gently caress-all around the house, which pissed me off, but my reasoned arguments, begging, nagging, weeping, raging couldn't get him to change his behavior. Got him on an SSRI and now he's a functional partner again.

This is a very good point. I'd also add that beyond stigma most people do not have the tools or experience to recognize mental illness when they see it. So even if a man is willing to get help he may suffer for years before he encounters someone who recognizes his problem and points him in the right direction. Depression in particular can be difficult for men to recognize in themselves as ahedonia and flat affect can often seem to be expressions of stoic masculinity.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What you guys never seem to get is that there's no projection needed, you display more than enough bad behavior right here in these kinds of conversations. And the problem with being a selfish lover is not lack of virility, but it says quite a bit about you that you think it is.

I never mentioned virility. I was referring being a selfish lover as you were. This is what I mean when I say you're projecting. I could be wrong though. It's also possible you're arguing in bad faith.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

To try to move beyond this slap fight, are there any practices that men could be encouraged to take in order to limit exploitation? I don't believe a blanket condemnation of men who solicit sex workers will lead to outcomes beneficial to anyone. Maybe people should be educated as to how to spot likely signs of human trafficking. Like someone goes to a brothel or strip club in the US and all the women are Russian or South East Asian that should be a clear sign of trafficking. Some types of sex work are more likely to lead to trafficking than others. Is there a way we could protect and encourage those kinds of work?

OwlFancier posted:

You don't have to go to strip clubs or hire sex workers, you can quite easily do without those things. You probably need a phone in order to get and keep a job, the two are not commensurable.

What technological items are considered necessary enough to justify supporting slave labor? What food items? What entertainment products? What services?

Let us English fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread