Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I dunno if it's within the scope of this thread, but gay male culture in the US is pretty toxic and exclusionary. To throw out one example, gay men with more stereotypically effeminate mannerisms or dress get poo poo on a ton compared to str8-acting homobros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

MASC4MASC

Do you have any good reading on this? I know it's true of course, as anyone with a Grindr profile does, but I've never looked into it seriously.

I don't but would be really interested in reading some good articles on it.

There's also a lot of racism, ageism, body shaming that goes on. MASC4MASC no fems fats or asians under 30 only.

Of course that's not true everywhere and for all of the subcultures but in my experience there's a lot of really unhealthy pressures and attitudes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Frijolero posted:

Right-o.

Even gay men have to subscribe to sexist gender norms. I've seen plenty of it in Mexico and Texas. I can't count how many times my mom has asked me if my gay brother is the "man or woman" in the relationship. :sigh:
But then there's gay males who will subject their peers to the same standards.

Yeah, it seems to me that "traditional" gender roles and expectations are applied to gay men both in how they should act and who they should date.

You should be a strong confident manly man, and ideally you should date someone young and pretty.

I don't think mannerisms and dating preferences are necessarily racist or bigoted. Some people are more traditionally masculine, some are more feminine, some people are more attracted to one or the other. Some people are more attracted to partners of their own race and that's not just based on appearance. I've mostly dated white guys but I think that's largely because of my social circles and the fact that I share more cultural experience with them, I don't have any strong preference. Growing up gay and black, for example, is pretty different from my own experience and gay black dudes are their own distinct subculture.

BUT BUT BUT, all of that is heavily reinforced in media and the larger culture and it's not healthy. If you tend to go for more masculine Hispanic dudes, fine whatever that's your preference. But don't poo poo on everyone else, be a little self-aware and support your broader community.

• Locked thread