Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno if it's within the scope of this thread, but gay male culture in the US is pretty toxic and exclusionary. To throw out one example, gay men with more stereotypically effeminate mannerisms or dress get poo poo on a ton compared to str8-acting homobros.

But is this a problem with gay culture, or the wider scope of patriarchy? Who is actually doing the making GBS threads? Is it other gay men, or straight men? I guess I've heard of straight acting gay men who show resentment towards the more stereotypical gay man, largely because the former feel the latter are making things harder for them when it comes to being accepted, but that just raises the question of why is it necessary for gay men to be accepted only if they act a certain way.

The thing to do would be not to tut and roll your eyes and berate people for acting in what is perceived to be a negative way, but to embrace and encourage it.

If a way of behaving rattles the patriarchy, then it should be doubled down on because it's clearly doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Phyzzle posted:

Huh. I guess trans issues fit in this thread, so I'll ask: wouldn't virtually any feminist, or virtually any other trans woman, ferociously disagree with you on that?

Germaine "Multiple Miggs" Greer might have to smell your vagina, I guess, before she could weigh in. Most non-TERFs would, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's also a significant difference in the methods of suicide men and women choose. Men generally go for the more lethal option straight off the bat. Women prefer less reliable methods such as overdose etc.

The differences in methods would also lead me to believe that there's probably a more internalized reason why men's suicide rates tend to be higher.

More lethal methods are pretty much the ultimate assertion of being able to control your own destiny. A bullet to the brain, hanging yourself etc are all pretty active means of ending your life that put control entirely in the hands of the person deciding to kill themselves. This is pretty much consistent with the messaging men are given throughout their lives.

The methods that women choose, however, are very much up to chance a lot of the time. A lot of overdoses do not work, for example, even if you're not actually discovered. This would also be consistent with messaging women are given throughout their lives.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wanna make this clear. Here is my suggestion for how to deal with inequitable division of household chores: When two people start cohabitating, they should sit down and decide how to divide up the chores in a way that they both think is fair. That should happen at the start of the cohabitation. If they cannot come up with an agreement that is satisfactory to them both, them they probably shouldn't cohabitate.

Also, I don't think making this personal is productive. You don't know me, and I don't know you, so let's not make assumptions about each other.

This was a while back, but one of the literal problems with this approach, as articulated by those articles, is that the perception of what is fair is vastly different between the man and the woman in the cohabiting situation. Men overestimate a lot the amount of work they do, or the difficulty of the work they do, so when asked to come up with what is "fair", will inevitably decide to do less work, but do work that they value as more important, and this is "fair". It's not.

Personally I hate housework but recognize it's a necessary evil and I one day would love to live in an automated house where that poo poo gets taken care of by robots or whatever the gently caress. I've already got a roomba, which is probably the greatest invention since the washing machine.

The washing machine is another interesting case since that probably had more literal impact on people's lives than most other inventions in the past few centuries. Not having to do very labour intensive work washing clothes, that would often take up an entire day, or even longer, was a huge boon to people's lives.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wasting posted:

It's impossible for me -- or you, for that matter -- to ensure that any person, whatever business they are engaged in, isn't being exploited in that business relationship. Admittedly, this is an industry where it is more common.

Indeed, my friend, which is why there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism.

The thing is, though, that while we may be aware that there might be a certain amount of exploitation inherent to any business relationship, for some businesses, it's not only known, but proven. Is it applicable to absolutely every person engaged in that business? No, absolutely not, but it's commonplace enough to give you good reason to be weary and probably treat such institutions more critically than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a thorny issue, and I personally think even the best solutions we can come up with are merely a band aid while the larger problem doesn't seem to be getting tackled, namely, why is sex considered a need, or rather why is the propagation of your future, potential self deemed to be on the same level of need as the existence of your current self?

If I don't have food and drink, I will die. That's a pretty demonstrable thing. As such, I believe food and drink should be a pretty fundamental, unalienable right. I don't necessarily believe the same thing about sex, or even propagation of the species, which sex is pretty much for (on a basic level).

I mean, I don't eat food and drink purely to survive, there is undeniable a pleasure aspect that comes with it, same with sex. The commodification of sex definitely seems to have given people the impression that it is a fundamental need like food and drink, though, when it is not. It's a nice perk, but I think the pressure placed upon people, particularly by society, to be seen as a normal sexhaver is doing immeasurable harm. The message being that if you're not having sex, or don't have the desire to have sex, you're a fundamentally broken person of little to no worth because everyone else is having sex all the time (citation needed)

Or to put it another way: gently caress advertising forever.

• Locked thread