Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i realized i've never seen a john wayne movie before, what do you guys reccomend to start with, the searchers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Searchers is a great film, but part of what makes it so interesting is how it contrasts with some of the more 'traditional' westerns John Wayne did. As such, seeing it when you're not very familiar with the classic studio western might not be the best idea. A bit like watching Scream if you don't know anything about slashers.

A better starting point might be the cavalry trilogy Wayne did with John Ford: Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande. Stagecoach is fantastic as well and mandatory viewing if you've never seen it. You could also try Red River, which has my favourite Wayne performance, though it's very much unlike the traditional heroic role he's known for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Stagecoach is a pretty good place to start. It's a shockingly modern movie, one of those templates that's still in use today.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thanks guys ill watch stagecoach first

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I rewatched Stagecoach last week and it's so goddamn good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Searchers is a great film, but part of what makes it so interesting is how it contrasts with some of the more 'traditional' westerns John Wayne did. As such, seeing it when you're not very familiar with the classic studio western might not be the best idea. A bit like watching Scream if you don't know anything about slashers.

A better starting point might be the cavalry trilogy Wayne did with John Ford: Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande. Stagecoach is fantastic as well and mandatory viewing if you've never seen it. You could also try Red River, which has my favourite Wayne performance, though it's very much unlike the traditional heroic role he's known for.

Red River is so good. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is also essential, but kind of like the Searchers a bit of foreknowledge about the genre aids your appreciation of it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist are brilliant and really highlight how much Wayne grew as an actor. Or perhaps it's his material that grew. Either way, both films feel like appropriate swan songs to the classic studio western.

Also, if you're still looking for recommendations, Brosephine, check out Rio Bravo. It's not Wayne's best film, but it's perhaps the most 'Wayne' performance he ever gave if that makes sense.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not a big fan of John Wayne, but The War Wagon was entertaining. Not only is the concept silly (a stagecoach that's armed to the teeth) but Wayne plays an outlaw for one of the few times in his career, and he and Kirk Douglas are obviously just doing a goofy movie and having a good time.

I remember Hondo being remastered in 3D in the late 80s but as I was a kid I can't remember it too well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Quiet Man is essential. John Wayne, directed by John Ford, and Maureen O'Hara. Also has an epic cross-country fist fight between Wayne and Victor McLaglen.

It's not exactly the most progressive movie, but it's so much fun. And Technicolor!

(Also, Hondo was restored in 3-D and has gotten some theatrical showings in the last few years, but the Blu-Ray is 2-D only)

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Hatari is absolutely his best film, it's a documentary about him and some other actors catching wild animals in Africa.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat so guess there is alotof good movies of his, thanks guys

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Conqueror is the most hilariously misguided thing. John Wayne is... Ghengis Khan?

They filmed it at an atomic test site so it gave everyone cancer. :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched Stagecoach for the first time a few months ago and was shocked to find out he was playing an outlaw. When they called him one, I was left scratching my head, thinking "maybe they mean someone standing behind him."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sean10mm posted:

The Conqueror is the most hilariously misguided thing. John Wayne is... Ghengis Khan?

They filmed it at an atomic test site so it gave everyone cancer. :smith:

quote:

Armendáriz began to suffer pain in his hips and years later it was discovered that he had cancer in this region. He learned his condition was terminal while at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, California. He reportedly acted in From Russia with Love while enduring great pain (he visibly limps in most scenes) in order to leave behind financial resources for his family after his impending death. On June 18, 1963, Armendáriz shot himself in the chest with a gun he had smuggled into the hospital. He was buried in Panteón Jardín, Mexico City, Mexico.

that's hardcore

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched Stagecoach for the first time a few months ago and was shocked to find out he was playing an outlaw. When they called him one, I was left scratching my head, thinking "maybe they mean someone standing behind him."

That's part of why Stagecoach was so influential. It was either the first movie, or the first majorly successful movie, where that "outlaw with a heart of gold" archetype showed up. Wayne's character and then also the prostitute character were decades ahead of their time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched Stagecoach it was pretty boring maybe john wayne isnt for me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wasn't too enthralled by Stagecoach myself. I might have to rewatch it. I loved My Darling Clementine though. Not Wayne, but the only other John Ford movie I'm aware I've seen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I watched Stagecoach it was pretty boring maybe john wayne isnt for me

If you found Stagecoach boring I doubt it has anything to do with the presence of John Wayne.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I feel like you should start with Words and Music. It's a pre-code musical so it's super fabulous in a way film wouldn't be again for a long time. That way you can understand "twink" Wayne vs. his later "Daddy" persona.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
O.o

Stagecoach just felt messy? I understand it was like the thirties but it felt kind of messy and...bad. I did like when John Wayne was on the screen tho

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Messy is a bit of an unclear descriptor. Do you mean the way the individual characters' arcs interact? Or the way it's shot? Or the general pacing?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

I feel like you should start with Words and Music. It's a pre-code musical so it's super fabulous in a way film wouldn't be again for a long time. That way you can understand "twink" Wayne vs. his later "Daddy" persona.

Red River is extremely gay

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuel Clemens posted:

Messy is a bit of an unclear descriptor. Do you mean the way the individual characters' arcs interact? Or the way it's shot? Or the general pacing?

I guess kind of lame tbh. The drunk doctor the whiskey salesman being the worst. They just felt like they're from a 1920s movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I guess kind of lame tbh. The drunk doctor the whiskey salesman being the worst. They just felt like they're from a 1920s movie

I'm afraid I still don't quite follow. From a 1920s movie in the sense that they don't fit in with the rest of the film? Or did you simply not care for the their type of humour? Because that's totally a fair thing to say.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You should watch The Outlaw Josey Wales. John Wayne isn't in it, but that's okay as he was a fat dweeb who couldn't act anyways.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mantis42 posted:

You should watch The Outlaw Josey Wales. John Wayne isn't in it, but that's okay as he was a fat dweeb who couldn't act anyways.

Josey Wales is a slog. Watch McLintock! instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3343LUHNb4

Or the Searchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5hT5FLMUBg

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

General Dog posted:

Red River is extremely gay

The movie ends with a character shouting "stop fighting and gently caress already."

It's also really good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm afraid I still don't quite follow. From a 1920s movie in the sense that they don't fit in with the rest of the film? Or did you simply not care for the their type of humour? Because that's totally a fair thing to say.

Yeah in the sense they don't fit in. Everyone else is played seriously but you have these two goofballs that like don't fit in at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you watched Stagecoach and it made you think about quitting the John Wayne Project, at least check out The Searchers. Its in color and full wide-screen Panavision, so it has much more of an epic feel to it that you may like more than Stagecoach.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

The movie ends with a character shouting "stop fighting and gently caress already."

It's also really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQmaLlmutlY

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah in the sense they don't fit in. Everyone else is played seriously but you have these two goofballs that like don't fit in at all.

Yeah, the comic relief character (usually a drunk or an old man or an old drunk) is a staple of studio westerns. If you don't care for this type of humour but still want to see more Wayne, you could try The Searchers or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Both are more serious takes on the Old West.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even The Searchers has a goofball type character(Mose) but his role is pretty small and he only shows up a few times.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Decayed drunk and paranoid John Wayne is insanely good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah im gunna try The Searchers next im excited for that one

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

yeah im gunna try The Searchers next im excited for that one

If The Searchers doesn't click for you, there's really no shame in just saying that old Hollywood Westerns aren't your thing. They are a genre to themselves and are a pretty specific taste. A lot of people enjoy westerns but only spaghetti westerns or more modern revisionist westerns.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i relaly like spaghetti westerns and i lied and have seen 1 john wayne movie in the past and recalled really liking it (dont remmeber what it was) but oh well

my favorite western is Frisco Kid tho :thumbsup:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is real good. I also like True Grit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it was north to alaska was the one i saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Decayed drunk and paranoid John Wayne is insanely good.

What other type of John Wayne was there?

Oh wait, you mean in the movies?

• Locked thread