Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really liked it. I think its the best thing I saw on TV this year and one of the best series Ive ever seem. Ive loved the end and cried like a baby at the shooting scene

Maybe Im weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still cant understand myself why Ive liked so much, but it just worked for me, it touched me. I really dont see why you all found it so bad and even "hillarious", I dont think its funny at all. Maybe is not a show for everyone, but I certainly felt it was for me

Yeah, the dance is ridiculous, and all the talk about angels and stuff, but I dont think the series is really about that. Or about NDE, or the afterlife, or any pf the mysteries and sci-fi subjects it touches

Its about a broken person telling a crazy story to a bunch of lost, problematic kids and one lost sad teacher. The story she tells is absurd and over the top, but at the same time her charisma and sincerity makes it believable, it captivates them, and by listening to her they heal and become better people, it works like a therapy to all. The show intentionally makes it ambiguous: yeah, its obviously a crazy story invented by a crazy girl, but then how the gently caress the got her sight back, and where was her all that time and etc

But while we dont know if the story is real or not, the feelings it evoke, the empathy, the compassion, the courage, the hope, it is real, and so strong, and the effect it has on those people is real. And so I was convinced, like them, even if when it sounded ridiculous, almost because it sounded so absurd

And then at the end, after French find the books, like the kids I was disappointed, and sad for her and for all, and frustrated. But then, out of loving nowhere, that shooting scene. I was "WTF?? What does it have to do with anything we've been watching for the last 8 episodes??", but right after they get up and start performing the movements, everything suddenly makes sense if it doenst, and the movements are not ridiculous anymore, but so strong and dramatic. I really started sobbing

And then its over and we dont know if the show was about a miracle, or is a real sci-fi story, or just a drama about this crazy girl who made up a story to a bunch of kids that for some unlikely coincidence ends up saving them all from a tragedy. We are left wondering as they are, torn between believing that it was all real and supernatural and amazing, or that they were just very lucky

I dont even think it needs a 2 season, its probably better if there is not. Just leave it like that and its perfect

edit: if anyone else but me liked it, I recommend watching "The Sound of My Voice". It shares a lot in common with this show, and it is also written by Zal Batmanglij and Brit Marling (and also starred by her)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 28, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grem posted:

The show is like opening a box for Christmas, you don't know what the present actually is, it's just a bunch of cool looking parts. You start building and holy poo poo this is one cool looking machine. I can't wait until it's done and I can see what it does. Welp, machine's all done, let's push the button and see where it *gets kicked in nuts by machine and dies*.

Exactly this, except that the machine instead plays the most beautiful music and you cry

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wolfsheim posted:

I think this is my problem with it. It obviously can't all be made up because of too many reasons to count, but the tone shifts so abruptly to make that ending work that you're wondering if you missed a few scenes. It felt really forced and made the characters seem like dumb fucks. In that scene where they're trying to corraborate her story all I could think was "sheriff and wife missing new england" "football star homer injury" "football star homer missing" "crazy doctor found dead, torture lab" etc etc

I think is kinda of implied that they did try to find those stuff, but never did found anything. The OA herself did found a video of Homer, but she is supposed to be an unrealiable narrator, so who knows

And by the time French find the books, her story became so unbelievable and absurd that it just needed a little tip for then to became doubters. That and the fact they believe her in great part because her charisma, so when they stop seeing her every night it falls apart. I worked for me as a watcher cause I felt much like they: while I really wanted to believe her incredible story, by halfway through the season I was kinda expecting a disappointment. So when the books appear, I was "oh, of course". Just like the kids

I agree that they could have taken a little more time to show that, and specially I feel like the 5 should have been developed more, they get too little screen time (except for Steve). This is my biggest criticism of this show.

But for me this show is also about faith, and doubt, reason and miracle. At the end of it, we have this strange person telling an amazing and absurd story. There are reasons to believe her, and reasons not to. There's a simple rational explanation for the whole thing (a traumatized and mentally ill girl making up stuff as a way of coping - or not coping - with her issues), but it is incomplete (it cant explain her sight). And there's the supernatural explanation, if you really can believe in angels and that bizarre dancing can resurrect people and open portals, but there are no proof at all of any of it.

And finally, there is the fact that it all had 2 important and real consequences:

1- their sessions healed and improved everyone involved
2- the crazy dancing ends up saving an entire school from a tragedy

And again, there are rational and supernatural explanations for both too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 31, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invalid Validation posted:

I was in it till the last episode and it felt like we just time traveled to the 90s and we care about columbine again for no apparent reason other than to give the show extra emotional weight it didn't need.

You dont care about school shootings anymore?

In any case, the ending really seems to be a love or hate thing. To most people here seems to think it was awful and ridiculous, to me it was sincerely one of the most beautiful scenes Ive ever seen on a TV show. To me it was amazing like they could make such a ridiculous situation, 4 teenagers and a clumsy old teacher dancing like maniacs in front of a shooter, to have such a strong dramatic energy. Im not much of a crying person and I coulndt control myself, I cried like a baby

• Locked thread