Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Grem posted:

The show is like opening a box for Christmas, you don't know what the present actually is, it's just a bunch of cool looking parts. You start building and holy poo poo this is one cool looking machine. I can't wait until it's done and I can see what it does. Welp, machine's all done, let's push the button and see where it *gets kicked in nuts by machine and dies*.

The ending did nothing but drive home the themes of the series, for me, and I thought it was masterful. OA felt so much guilt and sorrow over not being able to help those she left behind, so she did what she could with her limited scope of influence, and saved a few people who were going down paths to destruction on their own. We don't know exactly what happened to her- only that she suffered unimaginably tragic events. When they talk about death and coming back and making a sacrifice and gaining artistic abilities they aren't talking about *death*- it's a metaphor for severe trauma, and choosing to "come back" is the choice of living to fight another day and attempt to move forward in life, rather than letting your trauma consume you. The school shooter is someone who suffered but chose to die, because they were alone. The power of relationships and shared trauma were able to win out against the loneliness and lashing out. I liked it!!

quote:

You can imagine some exec somewhere going "the leftovers is critically acclaimed for dealing with mystical events with ambiguity, people are going to love the OA!"

I can't disagree more. The writers clearly had a story they wanted to tell. I can't imagine a production with less executive meddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

This show could use some executive meddling.

Absolutely not. The story could not have been told any other way. The people who were focusing on the sci-fi elements and hoping for some explosive universe hopping shenanigans totally missed the point. The show was always about the relationships between the characters and how they were influencing one another's lives above all else, from the very beginning.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

How was it a wet fart? That line of thought makes me so sad. gently caress milquetoast focus-grouped lowest common denominator endings. As I said, it drives home the themes of the entire series. How traumatic circumstances and isolation destroy individuals and those around them. How talking and getting a window into one another's lives heals us. How it isn't easy.. the dance was painstaking and required sacrifice and dedication to complete. No other ending would have done the story justice.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 29, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I really don't like the idea of the show continuing with the same story :\

• Locked thread