Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:
This is one of the weirdest shows I've watched lately. As I can see, it's a very polarizing show as well.

At first, I was delighted by the show. The self-transcendence aspect of it was very appealing at first. Mix that with all these symbols and religious-ish allusions, and it automatically classified as a fantasy show in my mind as soon as it started.
But then, the dance moves came. I'm a bit weirded out, but I can accept that and still like the show. I mean I expect some magic, since it's fantasy.
Then, the 2-3 final episodes come. And I don't know what to think anymore.

As someone else said before, there are gems of genius to be found throughout the show. I see it as a "symbolic-heavy fantasy pseudo-science fiction" kind of show. I like open-ended-make-it-what-you-think kind of endings, but this one left me with a strange aftertaste. Maybe it's because it feels the last 2-3 episodes were rushed.

Also, the cult argument is something that comes back a lot. For me however, I didn't really have the feeling she was really trying to start a cult.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but if we assume the following:
  • The books were a FBI plant (it was pointed it's the only way it fits the storyline)
  • She truly believes her story is real (wether it's true or she is crazy in the head)

Then it really looks like she's believing she's the original angel, and she's just asking for help. And these people joined her, and believed her story, for some reason.
But if she doesn't believe her own story (i.e. made it up), then yeah it's not a story about NDEs and self-transcendance anymore, but rather about the beginning of a cult.

Still, if they make another season, I'll be really curious to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:

Phylodox posted:

It might be a title that gets passed on.

Would be a bit ironical since it means the "original angel"

• Locked thread