Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

Trash Trick posted:

Absolutely not. The story could not have been told any other way. The people who were focusing on the sci-fi elements and hoping for some explosive universe hopping shenanigans totally missed the point. The show was always about the relationships between the characters and how they were influencing one another's lives above all else, from the very beginning.

That's just the problem I had with it though, the relationship was totally one-sided. There's the moment in the hotel when she's asking the operator for phone numbers and realizes she doesn't even know their full names, and in the same episode there's the moment after the dinner when it's pointed out that she's told her story to strangers while ignoring her parents. She never cared about saving any of them at all. The series would have been SO much better if she hand selected her team and cared at all about their own trauma beyond helping her get back to her imaginary boyfriend. Instead, she told the first guy she met to bring five people, and sent out a YouTube blast to whoever was watching. She didn't care who showed up, they were just a means to an end for her. I would have loved it if it were about the relationships between the characters, but the main character was too self absorbed to notice anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think you were supposed to infer more friendship among the 5, but they only really showed that by them sitting at the same table at lunch.

I get that, and ultimately I think 90% of the problems with the show would have been solved with two additional episodes set between the finale and the one before it. In episode 7 OA realizes that she's neglecting her friends, but the scene where she tells BBA about totems and hugs Steve through the pencil stabbing show her making some real connections. She starts to open up to her parents, and her parents admit their own issues with the note. All of these things happen very close together, which to me implied that her own relationships and recovery were emerging as the main theme of the show, and it bothered me immensely that all of it was dropped for a gratuitous, unconnected finale. I don't think it even works to have the real theme be about the relationships between the five--it actually bothered me a lot that in the cafeteria all of them were back with their old cliques looking just like they did at the beginning of the show. Even having them argue the evidence for a few minutes when they all see the books would have helped bridge the transition, instead of just reacting like "well, that's over then".

• Locked thread