Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
There's a sweet fire truck in NY.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1&acctid=10884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Ran the packer a few times then it lost all compression. Princess auto had a briggs and stratton snowblower motor on sale for $120. Bolted right up and runs mint.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So some random guy knocked on my door today and gave me this

Not the first time someone has knocked on my door in regards to my eagles but this is the first time they gave me something. score.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Been super busy at the new job still learning the ropes, getting good on the equipment. Crushing cars with a excavator is a great stress reliever.
Got the PT loser on the road as my dd and trying to sell the ford.

In other car news i will soon be getting my grandpa's 81 camero due to his failing health. he is the original owner. Has a 305 and its auto.

just needs a tune up and a good wax as he has not been driving much so it has sat for most of this winter but it fires right up and runs mint.

Im going to keep it mostly original, just going to put a 4 barrel carb and new stereo then get collector plates and drive it on weekends.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sorry to hear about your grampa but drat, that's awesome.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Busy day driving the old international flatbed picking up cars and processing them.

Picked up a vw scirocco an old land barge and a blazer\jimmy (i will be crushing the blazer with extreme prejudice)

if i can find a good place to mount a go-pro in the excavator i will try and get some video of smashing the gently caress out of them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not the scirocco! Or the land barge! :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not the scirocco! Or the land barge! :(

Yeah I... would not have the intestinal fortitude for that job. You're a stronger man than I, eberbs

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Land barges look cool but unless they've been hot-rodded they tend to be absolute pigs that are terrible to drive, even in a floaty-highway-couch kinda way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Land barges look cool but unless they've been hot-rodded they tend to be absolute pigs that are terrible to drive, even in a floaty-highway-couch kinda way.

I dunno, 350HP is easy as pie (cam, headers, 4-barrel) and it slots nicely into that "effortless power to get out of its own way, but not fast" zone in the middle of your extremes there

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

I dunno, 350HP is easy as pie (cam, headers, 4-barrel) and it slots nicely into that "effortless power to get out of its own way, but not fast" zone in the middle of your extremes there

Am I missing something? Cause that looks like a malaise-era American Car. By which standards 350hp is a hot rod.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Am I missing something? Cause that looks like a malaise-era American Car. By which standards 350hp is a hot rod.

I admit I was thinking of something older and bigger based on the description (isn't that a midsize?), but I think that's still a RWD V8 so it can't be that bad, can it? Both SBC and BPO have aftermarket support. :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raluek posted:

I admit I was thinking of something older and bigger based on the description (isn't that a midsize?), but I think that's still a RWD V8 so it can't be that bad, can it? Both SBC and BPO have aftermarket support. :shrug:

A 1980 Oldsmobile got a whopping 105 hp from a 4.3L V8. The 5.0L V8 would bump you to 150 hp.

They were strangled with poorly engineered pollution controls, applied ham-handedly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Deteriorata posted:

A 1980 Oldsmobile got a whopping 105 hp from a 4.3L V8. The 5.0L V8 would bump you to 150 hp.

They were strangled with poorly engineered pollution controls, applied ham-handedly.

Sure, and if you do the simple stuff like cam/intake/4-bbl/headers like I suggested above, all that stuff goes away.

Although I've never owned a BPO, so maybe they all suck like you suggest.

E: Although this is all academic, since it's a malaise era car that's not going to be cool no matter what you do to it, just like every G-body that isn't black with a <6 on the fender. Far be it from me to defend an 80s anything.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This. Stepdad had an 83 or 84 Olds with a BPO V8 of some sort (305? 350?) briefly, and I got to drive it a little. "Glacial" would describe the power.

The engine wasn't in great shape to begin with (had tappy lifters on one cylinder and we suspected it wasn't running fully on all 8), but it was incredibly painful in the power department. It could hit ~60, but it took forever to get there. Good luck keeping up with modern traffic. 0-20 was pretty decent, once you broke what I'd guess was 2000-2500 RPM it just faceplanted.

It was the most comfortable car I've ever driven though, and I certainly wouldn't mind one with a modern powerplant.

My first car almost wound up being my best friend's grandmother's car - an 84 or 85 Buick or Olds (I forget which), mid size. It was equally sluggish, but it was a hell of a couch.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

With my grandpa's health situation I am going to be helping him in my spare time with his wood milling business.
Its a pretty small operation but he does good work and makes a killing.

16 foot Alaska mill

He has a massive collection of lumber including oak, cedar, sequoia, pine and some i cant remember.

And been using a 1959 Massey Ferguson work bull tractor

Gonna start a few projects of my own, maybe make a sweet coffee table out of a slab of sequoia

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think that “land barge” is an oldsmobile delta 88 which likely left the factory with a 307. The only boat anchor worse than a 305.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm looking at the stats of 80s oldsmobile v8s and they are comparable to the i4 in my Versa. :stare:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the olds on the rack today, ill check what motor it has before i crush it. But like you guys are saying it is probably gutless as gently caress.

The Blazer is gonna get a beating tomorrow.

And i picked up a new victim. I think its a 75 250 ranger. Has a 460 motor with an edlbrock carb.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That truck looks like it would be sweet as gently caress without that godawful box of hantavirus sitting in the bed.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

That truck looks like it would be sweet as gently caress without that godawful box of hantavirus sitting in the bed.

Yah i pulled all the copper, wiring and appliances out of it today. The sledge hammer made things a bit easier. The inside had no joke probably 2000+ dead fly's in it along with a few live ones.

Got under the hood of the olds and it is a 1980, but i couldn't find a sticker for the motor but here's a picture if someone can tell what motor it is.

The rest of the day was spent doing maintenance on some of the trucks.

Grapple truck and one of the garbage trucks needed oil change fuel filters and greasing

and fixed a bad o-ring on a coolant line and fixed an oil leak on one of the loadals. Only had to drain out a small lake's worth of coolant to change it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

I see an engine bay crying out for a motor that produces more than 100hp.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its nearly impossible to tell without stickers or casting numbers, but the blue paint and 4 barrel intake makes me think its an olds 350. Although a small number of 307’s came that way in 1980 as well. Any way you cut it, its junk from the worst era of cars. Nostalgia from my teenage years of rusty beaters in upstate NY.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Processed an 80's turdcel and someone took the time to rivet a piece of plastic to the air cleaner lid, its hard to see in the picture but it has maintenance stuff like oil changes and mileage. not a bad idea.

These old tercel wagons are pretty cool, but it wasn't a 4wd one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I saw a Mercury Mountaineer with a lift kit and swampers today. I guess you go muddin' with the 4x4 you got, not the one you want.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Towed this in for scrap. Apparently its hydro locked from driving through a puddle. Twin turbo right hand drive 5-speed, t-tops.

Its amazing what some people will throw away.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
:psyduck: How did he at least not pull off a bunch of parts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:psyduck: How did he at least not pull off a bunch of parts?

They're worth like zero loving dollars. Even five, six years ago there were JDM Z32 300ZXes going for almost nothing. I saw one with a full set of period HKS speed parts get pushed into the crusher in 2009 because it cost the owner nearly ten grand in labour rewiring it to get the thing to run again.

They were the hot JDM import like a year before the R32 Skyline became legal. It was probably getting ridden hard by teenagers since it landed in, what is it, a 1989? 2004, so 14 years of getting pounded on as an already cheap turbo car.

The only other people who would want parts are other skinflint teenagers, and chances are the car is mostly OEM except for stickers and dorifto body damage because installing a set of Chinachargers and a manual boost controller into one of these is a multiple-weekend project so it would never get done.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 30, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I wouldn't mind a 300zx with an ls swap.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Tearing into the 300

And picked up an old ex-postal jeep

It even says "right hand drive" on the back.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Someone was selling a custom painted hood for a d21 for $50. I could not say no

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

eberbs posted:

loving AMAZING

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice. Is there anything over top to protect the art?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nice. Is there anything over top to protect the art?

its been clear coated

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That hood has booty and skeletons on it!

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Took the Eagle out for a drive yesterday for the first time in months. I played around with some of the ignition wiring so hopefully it wont leave me stranded on the side of the road. Im gonna put a few days of insurance on it and see if its reliable enough to drive on the regular until a Cherokee comes into my work so i can do the head swap to efi.

Work has been crazy busy, got about a dozen cars waiting to be processed. Did this old diesel square body the other day, picked it up in the tow truck off some ghetto barge from one of the gulf islands. Backing a tow truck onto a tiny barge that only holds like 3 trucks while the waves are bashing and moving the barge while trying to load this bitch was pretty hosed up.

Also sold the F150 for $500 to some guy for parts. glad to see that gas chugging poo poo heap gone, now time to sell the pt loser to make room for the camero.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

eberbs posted:

oh my

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

towed in a car-bq today. Only got 1 picture but can anyone guess what kind of car it was?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cavalier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like a three hunnert

• Locked thread