Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
A truck at work had the venerable piece of poo poo e4od transmission that went from "fine" to "not fine" without much warning. Dude said it started to shift funny, so he slowed down to get it to a safe place to stop. Made 30 seconds, and then it just didn't anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

First off, this thread is fantastic!

eberbs posted:

My new job required an air brake endorsement so this weekend is spent at a trucking school. Gonna be driving some neat trucks.

Don't pump the brakes and lose air pressure, make sure your slack adjusters aren't broken. Bam, just passed your air brakes endorsement.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My city's parking authority also usually has an auction every month for impounded cars. It used to be an okay deal, but now that they've set a $500 minimum bid you are almost guaranteed to get screwed.

A friend of mine is in his 60's, when he was in his early 20's his car was stolen. It was a POS and somehow the cops never found it, which is weird since about a year later he saw it parked at a local store. He knew it was his car since it had an oddly specific dent. He grabbed his spare key, fired it up, and drove home. The next day he was arrested for stealing a car... His car... It ended up impounded and auctioned off! I guess the cops did a good job identifying the "stolen car" the second time around...
I've always been afraid of something like that buying impound cars.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

eberbs posted:

Frame is a little rusty

a LITTLE??? :stonk:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

That thing is amazing and looks to be in decent shape. Probably a horror show underneath, but from here it looks good :)

Most people I talk to hate driving a three-on-the-tree, but I really like them. It's also about the best theft protection around. Just have to make sure the controls rods are adjusted correctly and the bushings are in good shape or they end up in two gears at once and you have a lot of cars honking at you...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

The way my parents tell it, this was an issue practically from new on my truck :v:

Chevy? From what I hear it was a bigger issue with them than with others. I drive a 51 plymouth with a 3 speed and it never has any trouble. I shift really carefully and double clutch my downshifts, though. Since I don't put a lot of force on the shifter it's much less likely to get jammed up. Back in the day when they were being driven by the general public, not enthusiasts, I can see why they had a ton of problems. It seems the average person can barely operate an automatic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I've at least wondered a few times how hard it would be to make a column linkage run a T-56.

I think it would be difficult to find the gears. Some cars had 4 on the column, saab, mercedes, toyota, etc. There was some sort of pushing the knob or whatever to get to reverse, with a 5 speed I suppose you could do that for 5th and reverse. But a 6 speed? eek. A normal 3 speed linkage is disgusting enough, I can't imagine the shitshow of jammed up gears a 6 speed would pose. If you make it work, however, I wanna drive it.
You could also leave the keys in the thing and nobody would ever steal it :D

• Locked thread