Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

a little background willsaucy - I was a competitive wrestler when i was a young piso and would have to gain and lose crazy amounts of weight in a flash. It was very hard for me, in fact until my late twenties it took some serious effort for me to gain weight. There isnt really a "healthy" way to gain mass quick, but i tried a lot of things for years and found that the best and quickest way to do it is to:

1. drink milk like crazy (every meal, between meals)
2. buy a weight gainer protein supplement
3. lift weights. 3 days a week - Squat, bench/military press, deadlift

or

4. Turn 30 and watch yourself gain 5 pounds just looking a food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

for the record, im not just hanging out in the resolution thread for the laffs. I have a resolution too, but dont really want to share it. reading everyone's last year helped me complete mine, so im doing that again. good luck to us all.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MrWillsauce posted:

grilled cheese is real. real good

:agreed:

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

People looking for fitness advice should check out the general fitness/outdoors thread, it's full of really good advice with just a sprinkling of bad advice for flavour too!

Re: my NYR
I'm in the process of spending way too much money on some real nice mountain kit so I don't die

Twerkteam Pizza

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

People looking for fitness advice should check out the general fitness/outdoors thread, it's full of really good advice with just a sprinkling of bad advice for flavour too!

Re: my NYR
I'm in the process of spending way too much money on some real nice mountain kit so I don't die

Where is it???

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Where is it???

it here

FluffieDuckie

:siren: week 1 reports are due guys! :siren:

remember to put them in your opt in posts.

mine is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

social vegan

I have failed to do anything because my girlfriend is only around in town this month so I will take my lumps sorry jah!

vanisher

This is what I think of when I see FD's sig

e: I updated mine!!

vanisher fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 7, 2017

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
My resolution is to get buff/gain weight. I'm naturally like 5-7% body fat, I'm currently going to the Y. I'm gonna try to go 3 times a week.
My second is to buy a car. I'm about 8 months overdue for one. It will make my life about 3x easier. If I happen to get one soon, my goal will be to practice driving it, cause I'm too inexperienced.

Update 1: I went 3 times and got sore. i'm waiting on this guy to lmk if his car is ready.. 2005 civic $5k
Update 2: I went multiple times and have been so sore it feels like I've been losing my virginity. ALSO I BOUGHT THE CAR, 05 CIVIC YEAH BABY ONE OF MY RESOLUTIONS IS COMPLETE
Update 3: I've been gyming and the weights im using are moving up and my titties and arms are getting bigger. But its discouraging when i see the super strong hot boys there still.

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2017

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

updated with my failure, drat this cold. gonna do some reading tonight tho now that the fever has vanished~

FluffieDuckie

It's not a failure. It's a setback. I didn't make 3 days in the gym so I'm trying to work out a schedule for next week to make sure it happens

Quidthulhu

you go, fluffie!

FluffieDuckie

Also I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I need to go in for another steroid shot in my foot and this is no small thing.

Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?

FluffieDuckie posted:

It's not a failure. It's a setback. I didn't make 3 days in the gym so I'm trying to work out a schedule for next week to make sure it happens

Sometimes you gotta just build up to these things. Congrats on your new job though!!!

Updated my resolution post with the topic and outline of my next blog post: Decomposition :zombie:

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

MrWillsauce posted:

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

I know that this was a while ago, and that you have mentioned that you might not want to do it, but I have something I could suggest, if that would be interesting to you.

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
id like a better handwriting, i dont like mine so im gonna do some practice cos i found a wikihow which will definitely help me

its not like i want to commit acts of forgery or anything honest

thats my new years resolution thanks for eading

Quidthulhu

can you link to that wikihow, my handwriting is atrocious and my students make fun of me constantly for it :C

alnilam

Does the wikihow have funny drawings

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

:pray:

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Update's in!

Really digging the blog, Fanky! I love looking at how humans made sense of natural phenomena before we had the know how and technology to properly explain them :D
How long have you been in the field?

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
Signing up!

Every week:
  • 3 sets of exercise
  • 3 hours of harmonica practice
  • 3 hours of some kind of art
  • sort 500 pics in my pics folder

And at the end:
  • get a real job

Complete failure.

• 1/3 sets of exercise
  • 0.5/3 hours of harmonica practice
  • 3/3 hours of some kind of art (mainly silly forums stuff)
  • 100/500 sorted pics

• 2/3 sets of exercise
  • 0/3 hours of harmonica practice
  • 5/3 hours of some kind of art
  • 0/500 sorted pics in my pics folder
  • 1 hours of some kind of art
  • 5/500 sorted pics in my pics folder

• 2/3 sets of exercise
  • 0/500 sorted pics in my pics folder

• 2/3 sets of exercise
  • 150/500 sorted pics in my pics folder

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 13, 2017

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
This week I failed because I forgot about this thread, and I was still on a vacation so I probably wouldn't have done anything anyway.

But tomorrow starts a new week.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 8, 2017

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm having a really great time with my resolution because it's exactly the paperwork equivalent of being fed feet-first into a woodchipper every day multiple times a day because running a business is fun and good and totally for everyone.

next year my resolution can be "hire someone to handle this poo poo for me," but i'm not rich yet or even ready to handle an employee.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lastgirl posted:

id like a better handwriting, i dont like mine so im gonna do some practice cos i found a wikihow which will definitely help me

pretty handwriting wrocks! keep at it l g

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Quidthulhu posted:

can you link to that wikihow, my handwriting is atrocious and my students make fun of me constantly for it :C

http://www.wikihow.com/Have-Good-Handwriting

I've been using this one bc if you use "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" it has every letter in the alphabet so its the best for handwriting practice

u can try different methods, just be sure to use that sentence so you get the most out of the alphabet :)

this one also is relaxed and encouraging so i think it will help you too

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

pretty handwriting wrocks! keep at it l g

:hai:

alnilam posted:

the one im using is p straight forward

the other ones ive seen had some calisthenics involved before you do something as strenuous as writing at a desk lmbo~

Fanky Malloons

Dangerous Minority posted:

Update's in!

Really digging the blog, Fanky! I love looking at how humans made sense of natural phenomena before we had the know how and technology to properly explain them :D
How long have you been in the field?

Thanks friend :3:

I majored in anthropology and minored in biology for my undergrad, and then I did an MA in archaeology with a focus on human burials, and now I'm a trainee funeral director/embalmer. If all those things counts as being "in the field" then 8-9 years??

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Off work, finally getting to peep out everybody's progress so far. Props to all of the excercisin' and dieting folks. It takes a whole lot of effort and willpower to maintain that sort of discipline, so good work, and keep it up!

And that's super cool! Never met anybody in anthropology, much less one who was in it for 9 years. Definitely looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

MrWillsauce

FilthIncarnate posted:

I know that this was a while ago, and that you have mentioned that you might not want to do it, but I have something I could suggest, if that would be interesting to you.

yes please

Fanky Malloons

I also made a suggestion back on page 1 -- I'm not sure if you saw it?

MrWillsauce

I did. I think it's definitely true that I'm really hard on myself and I can't write because I know it wouldn't be good, and I want to make things that are really good, so I just shut down and don't do anything. thank you and also android blues for your advice. I guess if I was really a writer I would have the drive and the desire to just write so I probably shouldn't force it. When I was a child I was told by everyone how brilliant and smart and good I was, especially at writing, and I think it had a really bad effect on me.

Quidthulhu

you're really a writer if you are writing! even in that sentence you're being so hard on yourself by moving yourself away from the pool of "true writers." writer is a discipline just like anything else, you come to it with some natural talent and affinity and then to be truly good at it you have to suck at it a lot.

but yeah if you are recognizing these areas where you're like "man i am terribad" then fight the urge to throw up your hands and instead get forging yourself into a better writer. i have a hard time taking criticism on my writing and i also have a hard time making the time to write but i know i would be better if i did both of those things more regularly. roald dahl used had blocks of time every morning and afternoon where he sat his rear end down with his writing desk and wrote stuff, no matter what and no matter what he churned out. get those times for yourself and stick to them and don't judge and destroy and stop or whatever, just keep doing it.

i've heard it takes 10,000 hours to be a master at anything; that's a lot of writing. get to it! you can do it :)

let i hug

edit: wrong thread!

Fanky Malloons

Quidthulhu posted:

you're really a writer if you are writing! even in that sentence you're being so hard on yourself by moving yourself away from the pool of "true writers." writer is a discipline just like anything else, you come to it with some natural talent and affinity and then to be truly good at it you have to suck at it a lot.

AGREED. Writing is hard, especially when you're your own worst critic. The idea that 'real writers' can just sit down at their computer and have stories essentially write themselves is just a myth. Even if someone is naturally talented, they might struggle less, but they will still struggle. The only writer I've ever met who didn't understand that writing is a soul-wrenching grind also happened to be a person who was entirely unaware of how terrible he was.

Anyway, that's why I don't think setting a daily word count works for everybody, because if you don't meet it you get frustrated and discouraged. If you want to try it, I would suggest just trying to write something every day, even if it's just one sentence or a single paragraph. Then once you get comfortable with confronting the void of a blank Word document every day, you can start with daily word counts. I BELIEVE IN U.

Mariana Horchata

iirc i brought up 2k17 resolutions in the chat thred a few weeks ago but never followed thru with posting itt. when i did tho i made some mention about being more sincere and less detached/on autopilot when having to make small talk with people in common everyday life situations (instead of automatically saying the same default words almost everytime).

this has been something of a struggle so far but it seems like the trick is to try to remain mindful of this commitment. its sorta going against the tide for me personally in a sense that i dont particularly enjoy meaningless small talk with random strangers (or ppl u quite honestly dont really desire any further relation with like most coworkers) - but coming across as sincere and genuine is somewhat important to me as a person...because i am! but i just dont understand the need to say "whats up" or "how are you?" to somebody just because u happen to make eye contact, imho i think a smile or a nod would be preferable in most of these situations but ofc i dont get to decide the basic rules for common social interaction in 2k17 USA

anyways~ i am now coming up on 1 week w/o smoking cigs after about a month long relapse following 2yrs of not smoking. so far so good w/ that...and ive also cut back the throttle on my alcohol consumption significantly post-holidays so i may as well keep that up for now as well and stick to just a couple of nites a week at most. beyond that i might have so more plans but i think thats enough to handle for now, anything else can wait until winter is over with.

Lastgirl posted:

good luck with that - ive come to terms with the state of my semi-backwards handwriting (iirc i was always adament about doing it my way in elementary school) which i dont really mind since to correct it would require about 25yrs worth of reprogramming, not really worth it considering the majority of handwriting i do is just scribling notes to myself on a yellow legal pad using different colored sharpies tho i can still print nicely when i make an effort, esp with the right pen/pencil, but i still cant even sign my own name consistently and have straight up forgotten how to write in cursive about 20+ yrs ago (teachers in school said u couldnt graduate or go to college unless u could write in perfect cursive - and just I saw thru the ruse and called their bluff even tho at the time i prob still believed in the tooth fairy)...

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

I'm concerned that the advice I am tempted to give may contradict much of the advice previously offered.

Also that this discussion will clog up the resolution thread.

Would it be possible to discuss this in another location?

edit: maybe more privately, also, unless other people won't be offended if I secondsay them.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FilthIncarnate posted:

I'm concerned that the advice I am tempted to give may contradict much of the advice previously offered.

edit: maybe more privately, also, unless other people won't be offended if I secondsay them.

i would love to hear the advice

MrWillsauce

I think you should just say what you feel man. I think everyone wants to hear what you have to say

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FilthIncarnate posted:

post the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons

:justpost:

Different advice works for different peeps so it doesn't matter if yours is opposite to mine!!

• Locked thread