Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

MrWillsauce posted:

I think you should just say what you feel man. I think everyone wants to hear what you have to say

All right.

So I recommend doing some reading; I have thought about what might be worthwhile for someone in your position to read, and this is a brief list I have come up with:

-Baudelaire's Paris Spleen
-Rimbaud's A Season in Hell
-Rilke's The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge

I would pick one of these three and spend a great deal of time with it, reading it very carefully, until you feel you understand it.

I would further suggest that you avoid reading any supplementary information about the text (or texts) you have chosen, up to and including Amazon reviews, cliffnotes, or the information the publisher has written on the back/jacket of the book. This may not be entirely possible but I recommend that you try to avoid anyone else's interpreting the work for you before you have a chance to interpret it yourself.

Of the three, Rilke's book is the most difficult; Baudelaire's is the kindest, and the most modular, and I suggest you start there, but Rimbaud is also a fine choice.

(Paris Spleen is a series of prose-poem vignettes, which can be read in any order; it's the easiest to break down)

These three are suggested because they are all works by fine poets which do not suffer overmuch in translation, as they are poetry but they are not in verse.

If none of these are interesting I suggest you make a study of the work (poetry or prose) of the Polish poet Czeslaw Milosz; he wrote poems only in Polish but he personally translated almost all of his own work into English so you don't need to worry about missing much; Visions from San Francisco Bay, a book of essays he wrote while he was a professor at UC Berkeley, would be an acceptable place to start, maybe, if you find the poetry difficult.

I have other advice if you would like it but I think that if you want to be a writer this is probably the place to start.

There is an alternate route which does not involve any sort of reading whatsoever but I suspect you would not like it as much, and it is much harder to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

it seems like the trick is to try to remain mindful
:hellyeah: hun!

quote:

anyways~ i am now coming up on 1 week w/o smoking cigs after about a month long relapse following 2yrs of not smoking. so far so good w/ that...and ive also cut back the throttle on my alcohol consumption significantly post-holidays so i may as well keep that up for now as well and stick to just a couple of nites a week at most. beyond that i might have so more plans but i think thats enough to handle for now, anything else can wait until winter is over with.
i hope you still smoke some thing :420::q::420:

joke_explainer

Nutrition and the body is so strange. There's evidence that the adenovirus Ad-36 somehow permanently causes your body to be more likely to store food as fat.. Conservation of mass is always a thing of course, but genetics and tweaks like that adjusting the way your body treats your blood sugar are very interesting. The same person could try to keep to the same diet and exercise, and one feels exhausted and hungry constantly while the other feels normal, and yet the exhausted one will gain more visceral fat than the bright and happy one. It's difficult to pin down any particular system to keep the body running smoothly. Some fats cause inflammation; some don't; some do only if they aren't balanced with other fats; thousands of things affect the efficiency of digestion and nutritional availability to the body. Compounding the number of variables, it's very difficult to absolutely strictly control your diet, pretty much ruining the usefulness of a lot of personal observations in aggregate. Still, people find things that work for them. It seems like the best thing to do if you struggle with diet / health and nutrition is to try different things until you find something you like that makes you feel good. Some diet that minimizes your misery in either direction of over-indulgence or constant hunger is probably the better. It's also been studied that just tracking your calories without making any intentional changes to your diet makes you eat healthier.

FluffieDuckie

:siren: weekly reports due :siren:

mine is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

life tried to kill me this week but i'm still here so at least there's that

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

death sext

FluffieDuckie posted:

mine is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

:agreed:

updated https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&perpage=40#post467832991

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

FluffieDuckie posted:

aint this a day early

we started on sunday
shoulnd we report on the past week on a sunday? idk maybe i just count weird

e : not that i didn up date!! check the 1st page for the scary terry / alien / matoi ryuko / social vegan sig

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

aint this a day early

we started on sunday
shoulnd we report on the past week on a sunday? idk maybe i just count weird

e : not that i didn up date!! check the 1st page for the scary terry / alien / matoi ryuko / social vegan sig

dude this is byob. if you turn it in on a wednesday we don't care

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

you might get a sticker for turning it in on wednesday, it's byob and wednesdays are a pretty big freakin deal around here

death sext

resolution: draw a dang frog

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
what on earth

is it wednesday already?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mariana Horchata

Haven't smoked a fag in about 2 weeks now and drinking has been restricted to two notes a week on average so far so good another BYOB success story thx fluffy dux u make Jenny Craig look like a fool u so cool

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

:hellyeah: hun!
i hope you still smoke some thing :420::q::420:

ofc

It's Blueberry season!

(literally it is in Chile, home of the world's greatest blueberries)

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 15, 2017

FluffieDuckie

Mariana Horchata posted:

Haven't smoked a fag in about 2 weeks now and drinking has been restricted to two notes a week on average so far so good another BYOB success story thx fluffy dux u make Jenny Craig look like a fool u so cool

ofc

It's Blueberry season!

(literally it is in Chile, home of the world's greatest blueberries)

you go girl

be sure to be posting your updates in your sign up thread if you want to qualify for an awesome tag

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

today i saw john hodgman and it was good. also i did a thing by doing civic duties. this evening i'm meeting with a cool therapist to see if she would be a good fit for me! everything's coming up ladybeard.

on a terrible non-resolution-related note: i am sucking poo poo on my diet this year. i eat a pretty restrictive diet to begin with because of food allergies, but frying things that are healthy doesn't mean that they are healthy fried things. i need to not deep fry kale. it was really good (kale and mushroom fritters with cashews). it needs to be a once in a great while food. this is something i'm also going to work on with my therapist--fooding as a normal person.

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

i am going to do all the things i said i was going to do within my week today, and then i am going to update. I AM GOING TO DO IT.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Palisader messaged me; she'll update her OP at a later date as she's on throttled 2G data right now and can't get the forums stylesheet to load without timing out.

alnilam

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

Palisader messaged me; she'll update her OP at a later date as she's on throttled 2G data right now and can't get the forums stylesheet to load without timing out.

Tell her we said hi!

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Update is in! Hoping some of my fellow music buds swing on by again

e: quote is not edit

Rock Paper Tongue fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2017

byob historian

Dangerous Minority posted:

Update is in! Hoping some of my fellow music buds swing on by again

e: quote is not edit
i did a music

i hope yall like its p basic

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

and im gona fukken record at least an ep this year im sick of listenin to boring music on my phone

e week 2: i made a remix :3: https://soundcloud.com/user-826793366/leave-a-trace-of-a-trace

hope all u sentient beins is bein well :unsmith:

shabbat goy

I had a bad week, between sickness and car problems. I did get halfway through my motorcycle licensing stuff, though, so I should have a full license by March :cool:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

shabbat goy posted:

I had a bad week, between sickness and car problems. I did get halfway through my motorcycle licensing stuff, though, so I should have a full license by March :cool:

congratulations! what sort of motorcycle do you have?

shabbat goy

I don't have one, I kind of just got the urge to get the license. I may buy a super cheap project bike off craigslist and wrench on it until getting frustrated and giving up.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

make that your next resolution--get a project bike. resolution after that: fix project bike.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
  • 1/3 sets of exercise
  • 0.5/3 hours of harmonica practice
  • 3/3 hours of some kind of art (mainly silly forums stuff)
  • 100/500 sorted pics in my pics folder

soo... it's a start

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Palisader

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I LIIIIIVE and this time I've confiscated my daughter's phone so she won't eat up all the data again. Thank you, hamjobs!

HaveARottenDay

Is it too late to sign up? I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year and I'm not all that great anyway. Thinking maybe I learn a new song every week.

FluffieDuckie

HaveARottenDay posted:

Is it too late to sign up? I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year and I'm not all that great anyway. Thinking maybe I learn a new song every week.

nope. get on board :getin:

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i did a music

i hope yall like its p basic

Not really my cup of tea genre-wise, but its got a really nice chill vibe to it and it made for some good background music while I was making breakfast today. Hoping you do some more stuff, I'm always looking for new music to check out!

HaveARottenDay posted:

And you should absolutely join up! Music is good and more people should do it :thumbsup:

Mariana Horchata

shabbat goy posted:

I don't have one, I kind of just got the urge to get the license. I may buy a super cheap project bike off craigslist and wrench on it until getting frustrated and giving up.

i recommend a dual sport!

shabbat goy

only if it's 2-stroke :getin:

Mariana Horchata

shabbat goy posted:

only if it's 2-stroke :getin:

my only two-stroke experience was my kitted italian moped that hit 70mph once

ur playing with black magicks friend

good luck with ur licensing and bike purchase tho - and be sure to gear up! if u have the excuse to dress like a power ranger why wouldnt u take advantage if it could also be the difference between a full recovery and death/dismemberment.

u might already post there (i havent been in a while) but Cycle Asylum in AI is super knowledgable and always helpful...i was in ur position 2yrs ago and got my first and put like 7,000mi on it by the fall!

alnilam

shabbat goy read this it's very useful
http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

and if you want me to come with you and check out a bike any time just let me kno

FluffieDuckie

:siren: week 3 reports are due in your sign in post :siren:

my week sucked all the way around. my goal for next week is for it to not suck

Mariana Horchata

oh in response to ur comment earlier FlufflieDuckie i dont need anything in return for this, im just putting my goals down here in post form and hanging around for the moral support and resolution chat. i hope everyones doing ok! i still havent smoked a cigarette in like what 3 weeks now? not sure of my progress w/r/t anything else i may have expressed improvement in but of course they werent nearly as important as the primary focus

Mariana Horchata

yes i kno, i kno - i try but its not just me its the dopamine or lack thereof :ohdear:

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Update completed, and I just wanted to point out that my remaining miles combine to create their ultimate form: the funny s*x number 420

death sext

this wasn't in my official resolutions, but my personal small resolution was to organize my very cluttered bathroom. I went from 90% of my counter space being taken up by skincare stuff and makeup, to a nearly empty counter with all my stuff tidily organized in a rolling set of drawers. it feels so much better :sweatdrop:

FluffieDuckie

death sext posted:

this wasn't in my official resolutions, but my personal small resolution was to organize my very cluttered bathroom. I went from 90% of my counter space being taken up by skincare stuff and makeup, to a nearly empty counter with all my stuff tidily organized in a rolling set of drawers. it feels so much better :sweatdrop:

god i love that feeling

shabbat goy

Mariana Horchata posted:

my only two-stroke experience was my kitted italian moped that hit 70mph once

ur playing with black magicks friend

good luck with ur licensing and bike purchase tho - and be sure to gear up! if u have the excuse to dress like a power ranger why wouldnt u take advantage if it could also be the difference between a full recovery and death/dismemberment.

u might already post there (i havent been in a while) but Cycle Asylum in AI is super knowledgable and always helpful...i was in ur position 2yrs ago and got my first and put like 7,000mi on it by the fall!

hell yeah, ATGATT

and al, thanks for the link! Looks very helpful. Not sure if/when I will actually get around to getting a bike, but I'll let you know!

byob historian

fixin to go meditate! hope the wall is still there

sentient beings are numberless i vow to save them

desires are inexhaustible i vow to out an end to them

the dharmas are boundless i vow to master them

the buddha way is unsurpassable i vow to attain it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

fixin to go meditate! hope the wall is still there

sentient beings are numberless i vow to save them