Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

MrWillsauce posted:

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

I know that this was a while ago, and that you have mentioned that you might not want to do it, but I have something I could suggest, if that would be interesting to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

I'm concerned that the advice I am tempted to give may contradict much of the advice previously offered.

Also that this discussion will clog up the resolution thread.

Would it be possible to discuss this in another location?

edit: maybe more privately, also, unless other people won't be offended if I secondsay them.

FilthIncarnate

MrWillsauce posted:

I think you should just say what you feel man. I think everyone wants to hear what you have to say

All right.

So I recommend doing some reading; I have thought about what might be worthwhile for someone in your position to read, and this is a brief list I have come up with:

-Baudelaire's Paris Spleen
-Rimbaud's A Season in Hell
-Rilke's The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge

I would pick one of these three and spend a great deal of time with it, reading it very carefully, until you feel you understand it.

I would further suggest that you avoid reading any supplementary information about the text (or texts) you have chosen, up to and including Amazon reviews, cliffnotes, or the information the publisher has written on the back/jacket of the book. This may not be entirely possible but I recommend that you try to avoid anyone else's interpreting the work for you before you have a chance to interpret it yourself.

Of the three, Rilke's book is the most difficult; Baudelaire's is the kindest, and the most modular, and I suggest you start there, but Rimbaud is also a fine choice.

(Paris Spleen is a series of prose-poem vignettes, which can be read in any order; it's the easiest to break down)

These three are suggested because they are all works by fine poets which do not suffer overmuch in translation, as they are poetry but they are not in verse.

If none of these are interesting I suggest you make a study of the work (poetry or prose) of the Polish poet Czeslaw Milosz; he wrote poems only in Polish but he personally translated almost all of his own work into English so you don't need to worry about missing much; Visions from San Francisco Bay, a book of essays he wrote while he was a professor at UC Berkeley, would be an acceptable place to start, maybe, if you find the poetry difficult.

I have other advice if you would like it but I think that if you want to be a writer this is probably the place to start.

There is an alternate route which does not involve any sort of reading whatsoever but I suspect you would not like it as much, and it is much harder to explain.

• Locked thread