Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues

MrWillsauce posted:

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

Have you tried the Pomodoro technique? It helped me a lot with similar problems and is worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

like, when i was working as a freelancer, pomodoros were totally vital to my daily routine, especially when i was doing ghostwriting stuff. applied well it can take you from noodling around on a blank page to a solid 10k+ words a week no trouble.

putting some music on helps too. if you can set up a routine when working, similar to a bedtime routine where your body just responds to certain signals, music can work as a signifier, especially if it's a type of music you largely don't listen to otherwise. i like the grand sound and relax daily for long, immersive/progressive mixes that (important!) have no vocals.

even working hella fulltime, i still write a lot now, and these techniques are key to putting out some real volume of text on a work night or whatever. i would also advise against trying to write every day if your current problem is not writing at all: setting aside two - three days a week as your "writing days" will likely be more helpful, and if you feel like you have that in hand and are itching for more, you could ramp up from there, but not until you've got that comfy rhythm down.

it's all about routine and approaching it as not just leisure/creativity, but work too. but it's a type of work that's also leisure, so it's pretty great, ultimately!

Android Blues

treasure bear posted:

and only if 2017 pays us for it

• Locked thread