Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?

MrWillsauce posted:

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

I am familiar with this struggle, and I think a lot of it has to do with being a perfectionist and being afraid to write something that isn't good. I stepped away from writing fiction during my MA because the (self inflicted) pressure to write a thesis that was in line with my own standards took up all of my mental energy in that regard and thinking about getting the fictional stories I wanted to write out of my head and onto paper on top of all of that was too much. That might not actually be what your problem is, but if it is, maybe do something like challenging yourself to write X number of first drafts, no matter what length, and no matter how lovely, just to get used to doing it? Literally just let yourself write whatever you want, even if it seems terrible. You could even try and be terrible on purpose if you wanted to go really crazy with it. Because the beauty of first drafts is that you can make them better through editing, and they're generally not nearly as bad as you think they are, so just go for it!

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons

Whoops I forgot to state my h*ckin' resolution!

I made a blog recently for all of the morbid nerd stuff that I can't geek out about with fellow anthropology anymore now that I've left grad school, but I'm really good at procrastinating and finding excuses not to update it, which is the opposite of what I want to do! Therefore my resolution is going to be to update it at least once a month, and ideally every two weeks. I guess to make sure I'm staying on top of it, I'll update my post every week either with a link to a new post or with the title of the post I'm currently working on and how far I've gotten with it.

WEEK 1 UPDATE:
My next topic is gonna be decomposition, aw yeah! I've come up with a basic outline, which I will try to fill out this week:
1. What is decomposition? Definition/tl;dr explanation
2. Stages of death
3. Physical, chemical, cellular post-mortem changes
4. Cardinal signs of decomp
5. Putrefaction & skeletonization

I will also try and find pictures that are informative/illustrative but also not horrendously gross, so as not to scar people's eyeballs when they try to read it.

WEEK 2:
WHOOPS I h*cked up and did not work on composing my decomposition (heh) post at all, nor did I update my post to that effect (writing this from Monday of week 3, like a chump).
REAL TALK, I procrastinated super hard because I'm worried (like always) that it will be boring and dumb and all of my written endeavours are pointless. BUT this evening I started working on it for reals, and I feel way better about it, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to work on it a lil bit every evening this week and then get it finished up and posted on the weekend, yeah!!

Fanky Malloons fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 24, 2017

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

Fanky Malloons

MrWillsauce posted:

wait are carbs good or bad

I like eating them so I'm gonna say they're pretty good

I eat a lot of fruit and not enough veg I think. I mostly eat grilled cheese sandwiches though

As with all things, they are fine in moderation. Your body uses them for energy, and cutting out an entire food group is unsustainable in the long term, and encourages extreme and/or disordered eating behaviour. Just eat real, adult meals instead of junk food imo.

Fanky Malloons

FluffieDuckie posted:

It's not a failure. It's a setback. I didn't make 3 days in the gym so I'm trying to work out a schedule for next week to make sure it happens

Sometimes you gotta just build up to these things. Congrats on your new job though!!!

Updated my resolution post with the topic and outline of my next blog post: Decomposition :zombie:

Fanky Malloons

Dangerous Minority posted:

Update's in!

Really digging the blog, Fanky! I love looking at how humans made sense of natural phenomena before we had the know how and technology to properly explain them :D
How long have you been in the field?

Thanks friend :3:

I majored in anthropology and minored in biology for my undergrad, and then I did an MA in archaeology with a focus on human burials, and now I'm a trainee funeral director/embalmer. If all those things counts as being "in the field" then 8-9 years??

Fanky Malloons

I also made a suggestion back on page 1 -- I'm not sure if you saw it?

Fanky Malloons

Quidthulhu posted:

you're really a writer if you are writing! even in that sentence you're being so hard on yourself by moving yourself away from the pool of "true writers." writer is a discipline just like anything else, you come to it with some natural talent and affinity and then to be truly good at it you have to suck at it a lot.

AGREED. Writing is hard, especially when you're your own worst critic. The idea that 'real writers' can just sit down at their computer and have stories essentially write themselves is just a myth. Even if someone is naturally talented, they might struggle less, but they will still struggle. The only writer I've ever met who didn't understand that writing is a soul-wrenching grind also happened to be a person who was entirely unaware of how terrible he was.

Anyway, that's why I don't think setting a daily word count works for everybody, because if you don't meet it you get frustrated and discouraged. If you want to try it, I would suggest just trying to write something every day, even if it's just one sentence or a single paragraph. Then once you get comfortable with confronting the void of a blank Word document every day, you can start with daily word counts. I BELIEVE IN U.

Fanky Malloons

:justpost:

Different advice works for different peeps so it doesn't matter if yours is opposite to mine!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons

Okay I posted my week 2 update finally even though it is techincally week 3 now so I'm still behind, aughhhhh.

Fanky Malloons posted:

WEEK 2:
WHOOPS I h*cked up and did not work on composing my decomposition (heh) post at all, nor did I update my post to that effect (writing this from Monday of week 3, like a chump).
REAL TALK, I procrastinated super hard because I'm worried (like always) that it will be boring and dumb and all of my written endeavours are pointless. BUT this evening I started working on it for reals, and I feel way better about it, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to work on it a lil bit every evening this week and then get it finished up and posted on the weekend, yeah!!

• Locked thread