Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm going to get my poo poo together. That's too obtuse and too opaque a goal, and also not really measurable in concrete and exact terms, so it makes a bad overall goal anyway.

To break this down instead:

1. I'm going to change my business name and get registered appropriately for a business license under new name. This allows greater credibility and flexibility in branding and also gives me a wider customer base just by appeal. Goal date: March 1st, highly flexible. Goal Met: 31 January 2017

2. I'm going to start processing conflict (especially perceived outside aggression/verbal and physical aggression by outside parties) and better via therapy, even if it's just doing the goddamned CBT workbook with the DBT modifications myself again. I know group therapy is difficult and uncomfortable and I have a tendency to downplay my problems into outright lying about them ("everything is fine!") and then I bottle things up, implode, explode, and dissolve. This is untenable, so gently caress that. Goal to find an initial therapist (not outright lifetime committed obviously) by March 31st.

That's it. Accomplishing those two simple tasks (with complex meanings and results) will improve my life in good measures and give me a solid footing.

_____

JANUARY 1, 2017: I downloaded all of the loving paperwork I have to read over and it's literally over 1000 pages of poo poo to wade through if I want to actually read it, so I sent off an email to the business lawyer to talk to him about this stuff since it's literally his job to do all of that, and that sets goal 1 in solid forward motion.

Goal 2 update: so far, so bad, I'm talking myself out of going to therapy even though I know it would help a lot a lot. I'm finishing off an email to my primary care doc to talk to her, and the psychiatrist, about what they think and who they'd recommend. Email button send go, it's done and that puts me in one step closer. I'm also going to spend a few minutes cross-referencing their recommendations with my insurance coverage list and budget accordingly for initial meetings with a few of them after I hear back from my PCP and psychiatrist next week.

_____

JANUARY 8, 2017--No progress. Fuuuuck.

_____

JANUARY 16, 2017--Met with first therapist. Not a match immediately as they don't provide the type of services I need, even though they advertise as such. Made contact with a second therapist, will follow up from there. Started CBT workbook with DBT mods added.

_____

JANUARY 22, 2017--I found a therapist. We had a good meeting. I'm going to see her Tuesday. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow or it would be sooner. I am very glad I did this. I also went to the one stop permit place for a bunch of stuff, changed my PO Box and phone number, and generally just did New Businessing Things to transition from the partnership to the new classification. I'm also ready for a new psychiatrist and have stepped up my efforts to talk with my PCP but she's had a sick kid so I'm trying to accommodate for that too!

____

JANUARY 30, 2017--Therapist good. Collaborating with a fellow textile artist on a homegoods line right now. Putting together moodboards and line ideas and figured out production specs for about fifty percent of the goods so far, so all I have to do is finish that up, and then make the items. Easier said than done, but the initial anxiety of pitching the idea for a collaboration is already over and done.

SPECIAL UPDATE: JANUARY 31, 2017--Business switch completely done. Not uploading paperwork proof because internet. Will show Duckie if need be tho. I'm ready. I AM READY. God help us.

_____

LATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2017--Therapist still good, definitely gonna keep going twice a week. My ceiling fell in this week and I had a conniption fit because all of these little things with our apartment never being fixed and them completely failing us with lease renewals, etc., so emotionally, I am a loving trainwreck. Bad update, no points.

Also I convinced Mike to meet with a therapist to help him through this bullshit too, so I guess that makes up for it! Therapy is good and it's nice to have a sounding board from a neutral third party whose only interest in making sure we get better.

__

FEBRUARY 12, 2017--Holy poo poo that was a week. Two weeks. Basically since my ceiling fell in and my life imploded I've been unable to actually work since I work from a home studio, so I've been doing all the administrative poo poo I normally avoid instead. I managed to get my paperwork in order, get the PO box remedied, see the therapist EVERY DAY(!!! goodbye money, hello coping skills), see my friends who I haven't seen in months, and I even cooked a full meal. Frankie comes home in two weeks, and we're renewing our lease with hell-landlord only to make buying a house slightly smoother this next year, so I'm not worried about bringing a baby therapy dog in training home right now. He's also pre-enrolled in Puppy K with our favorite trainer ever.

I didn't realize how much I did get done even with the ceiling drama until I really talked about it in depth with the therapist. It's okay to give yourself some credit, guys!

__

February 20, 2017--I had a meltdown last week and a meltdown yesterday, who would've thought I have a sadbrains? YAY. It'll get better. More progress next week I guess.

--

February 26, 2017--Frankie is home. Beans is happy but a weird turd. I went to therapy 4 days last week because of intrusive thoughts but I have a plan for working with the current set of thoughts, at least (logic is good, understanding and giving myself space is good). The meltdown hasn't helped much but it did bring me to a window of perspective and that's good! Progress!

__

March 4, 2017--HOLY HECK ok that was some progress. And some curveballs emotionally. I saw my therapist four times, Mike still loves his therapist, uh I met someone nice who is my friend now and that's cool, and I am very much having fewer meltdowns. The miracle of a neutral third party, SSRIs and a lot of self-work I guess.

--

March 13, 2017--9 day gap but there was a lot a lot happening. More emotional curveballs, but REALLY REALLY GOOD ONES and productive therapy that led to a nice resolution. Nice friends are very nice indeed. Meltdowns are primarily playing Worst Case Scenario in my head all the time. This has been really really good for my life. I'm sorry to be so vague but honestly it's hard to really talk about private stuff, ha.

__

March 30, 2017--Holy poo poo I missed a week, crap. Okay. Well. Things have certainly changed a lot thanks to therapy. I'm going through a Life Upheaval and there's a lot of paperwork and it's interesting, but it's a good thing. I'm actually looking forward to getting up in the mornings now, and doing things doesn't feel like a chore. Yay.

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i aint eatin no beef (except prime rib) or pork or none a that mess

and im gona fukken record at least an ep this year im sick of listenin to boring music on my phone

these are my new years resolution

e: also i need to meditate agains so im gonna go to the sangha in charlotte i need to make a resolution or ill forget because :420:

real good ideas (and heck yes to going to sangha for practice, it really helps me a lot) and pls link the ep when you're done (and some of your other music!!!)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

byob gonna kick 2017s rear end!!

but gently, and only with consent

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

t.s. smelliot, you are a good person for doing what is literally the hardest job anyone has to do, and i am so sorry. i am truly, truly sorry. i know you probably already included this in your "not feeling emotionally dead" plans but you should really talk to someone else, another professional too, about your experiences. for one, you deserve better, no one should be holding the lives and actions of ANYONE ELSE against you for any reason. that's not just unprofessional, that's manipulative and hosed up, and it's obviously causing some post-traumatic feelings in you. you deserve so much better. *hugs*

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

Myfitnesspal is great for tracking calories. It's working really well for me

same. it's also nice for tracking activity like dog walks and gardening as opposed to just running/lifts, etc.

i started the paperwork process for filing a business closure and a business open under a new name, wish me luck. gently caress.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

i know my update isn't due till this weekend, but instead of working on my resume for a couple of hours this week i worked on it all new years day, applied for a volunteer job, got an interview, and just got offered the job

congratulations!!! i hope it's something awesome!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

well, gently caress. i mean i know it's going to be frustrating, but thank you for doing the frustrating job because i am 100% behind helping refugees and immigrants. you are a real real real good egg, duckie, and i like you lots.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

Dude use myfitnesspal. Put your food in there for a couple of days. It will tell you if you're eating too many carbs

yes exactly, this is the best way of doing things if you are (like me) bad at keeping track of things.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if i dont listen to my stomach tell me when to eat why would i listen to a computer

my stomach is a dumbfuck and it thankfully didn't program mfp so i'm gonna listen to the computer.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm having a really great time with my resolution because it's exactly the paperwork equivalent of being fed feet-first into a woodchipper every day multiple times a day because running a business is fun and good and totally for everyone.

next year my resolution can be "hire someone to handle this poo poo for me," but i'm not rich yet or even ready to handle an employee.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FilthIncarnate posted:

I'm concerned that the advice I am tempted to give may contradict much of the advice previously offered.

Also that this discussion will clog up the resolution thread.

Would it be possible to discuss this in another location?

edit: maybe more privately, also, unless other people won't be offended if I secondsay them.

post the advice!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

you might get a sticker for turning it in on wednesday, it's byob and wednesdays are a pretty big freakin deal around here

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

today i saw john hodgman and it was good. also i did a thing by doing civic duties. this evening i'm meeting with a cool therapist to see if she would be a good fit for me! everything's coming up ladybeard.

on a terrible non-resolution-related note: i am sucking poo poo on my diet this year. i eat a pretty restrictive diet to begin with because of food allergies, but frying things that are healthy doesn't mean that they are healthy fried things. i need to not deep fry kale. it was really good (kale and mushroom fritters with cashews). it needs to be a once in a great while food. this is something i'm also going to work on with my therapist--fooding as a normal person.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Palisader messaged me; she'll update her OP at a later date as she's on throttled 2G data right now and can't get the forums stylesheet to load without timing out.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

shabbat goy posted:

I had a bad week, between sickness and car problems. I did get halfway through my motorcycle licensing stuff, though, so I should have a full license by March :cool:

congratulations! what sort of motorcycle do you have?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

make that your next resolution--get a project bike. resolution after that: fix project bike.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

fixin to go meditate! hope the wall is still there

sentient beings are numberless i vow to save them

desires are inexhaustible i vow to out an end to them

the dharmas are boundless i vow to master them

the buddha way is unsurpassable i vow to attain it

peace to you my friend!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

social vegan posted:

*sits quietly at the back of the class playing chopsticks*

it's good and i'm proud of you. please post Social Vegan's Piano Hour for us one night, it'll be fun.

lmbo calrissian posted:

I put it in my OP but I GOT THE CAR BABES, I GOT THE 05 CIVIC FOR $5K O GOD HELL YEAH I COMPLETED ONE OF MY RESOLUTIONS BITCHES
IT RUNS GREAT AND I GOT A GOOD DEAL WELL MAINTAINED IM THE KING OF THE f u c k i n g PLANET

civics are the best honda!!! you are in good car club now; kiss your honda gently every day and it will kiss you gently for many years my friend.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

update in the opt-in post; back to work for me.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm trying! i'm doing what i can to not go batshit insane and keep working. working is sanity. also this is a radically different direction from what i've been doing so it's going to be interesting to explore.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

today i yelled into the board of equalization void and also did business with canada already. i mean, i just called my friend's mom to ask if she has any cool yarn in stock, but still. that's business-like. it pertains to business. also getting recipes for maple sugar cookies.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Met my first goal. It is good.

Palisader posted:

I updated my post already but I'm so dang proud of this

I know it looks simple but it took me most of a night

this is cool af and we should talk about those cards.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I updated. It's late but there's good reason since my ceiling loving fell in this week. Also I love Mike's new therapist (as does he, the most important part), and I love my therapist. It's been really good to have an outlet for all of the poo poo that keeps happening to/around/near me.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

i'm a big fan of therapy. i think everyone should be in therapy

Me too. It makes me a much happier, healthier person, and it helps me check my inherent irrationality of thought.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

update posted. i realized that my last update wasn't completely bad--i just wasn't giving myself credit for managing real life happening to me, instead of around me, while my work and my activism is still happening.

remember to give yourselves credit for coping with your day to day shitshow! it's only taken me more than three decades to realize that and it's taking a huge loving weight off my shoulders.

as a reward for my progress i'm taking myself to a conference in may to take spinning classes and hang out in a cabin by asilomar.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hamjobs posted:

I'm going to get my poo poo together. That's too obtuse and too opaque a goal, and also not really measurable in concrete and exact terms, so it makes a bad overall goal anyway.

To break this down instead:

1. I'm going to change my business name and get registered appropriately for a business license under new name. This allows greater credibility and flexibility in branding and also gives me a wider customer base just by appeal. Goal date: March 1st, highly flexible. Goal Met: 31 January 2017

2. I'm going to start processing conflict (especially perceived outside aggression/verbal and physical aggression by outside parties) and better via therapy, even if it's just doing the goddamned CBT workbook with the DBT modifications myself again. I know group therapy is difficult and uncomfortable and I have a tendency to downplay my problems into outright lying about them ("everything is fine!") and then I bottle things up, implode, explode, and dissolve. This is untenable, so gently caress that. Goal to find an initial therapist (not outright lifetime committed obviously) by March 31st.

That's it. Accomplishing those two simple tasks (with complex meanings and results) will improve my life in good measures and give me a solid footing.

_____

JANUARY 1, 2017: I downloaded all of the loving paperwork I have to read over and it's literally over 1000 pages of poo poo to wade through if I want to actually read it, so I sent off an email to the business lawyer to talk to him about this stuff since it's literally his job to do all of that, and that sets goal 1 in solid forward motion.

Goal 2 update: so far, so bad, I'm talking myself out of going to therapy even though I know it would help a lot a lot. I'm finishing off an email to my primary care doc to talk to her, and the psychiatrist, about what they think and who they'd recommend. Email button send go, it's done and that puts me in one step closer. I'm also going to spend a few minutes cross-referencing their recommendations with my insurance coverage list and budget accordingly for initial meetings with a few of them after I hear back from my PCP and psychiatrist next week.

_____

JANUARY 8, 2017--No progress. Fuuuuck.

_____

JANUARY 16, 2017--Met with first therapist. Not a match immediately as they don't provide the type of services I need, even though they advertise as such. Made contact with a second therapist, will follow up from there. Started CBT workbook with DBT mods added.

_____

JANUARY 22, 2017--I found a therapist. We had a good meeting. I'm going to see her Tuesday. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow or it would be sooner. I am very glad I did this. I also went to the one stop permit place for a bunch of stuff, changed my PO Box and phone number, and generally just did New Businessing Things to transition from the partnership to the new classification. I'm also ready for a new psychiatrist and have stepped up my efforts to talk with my PCP but she's had a sick kid so I'm trying to accommodate for that too!

____

JANUARY 30, 2017--Therapist good. Collaborating with a fellow textile artist on a homegoods line right now. Putting together moodboards and line ideas and figured out production specs for about fifty percent of the goods so far, so all I have to do is finish that up, and then make the items. Easier said than done, but the initial anxiety of pitching the idea for a collaboration is already over and done.

SPECIAL UPDATE: JANUARY 31, 2017--Business switch completely done. Not uploading paperwork proof because internet. Will show Duckie if need be tho. I'm ready. I AM READY. God help us.

_____

LATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2017--Therapist still good, definitely gonna keep going twice a week. My ceiling fell in this week and I had a conniption fit because all of these little things with our apartment never being fixed and them completely failing us with lease renewals, etc., so emotionally, I am a loving trainwreck. Bad update, no points.

Also I convinced Mike to meet with a therapist to help him through this bullshit too, so I guess that makes up for it! Therapy is good and it's nice to have a sounding board from a neutral third party whose only interest in making sure we get better.

__

FEBRUARY 12, 2017--Holy poo poo that was a week. Two weeks. Basically since my ceiling fell in and my life imploded I've been unable to actually work since I work from a home studio, so I've been doing all the administrative poo poo I normally avoid instead. I managed to get my paperwork in order, get the PO box remedied, see the therapist EVERY DAY(!!! goodbye money, hello coping skills), see my friends who I haven't seen in months, and I even cooked a full meal. Frankie comes home in two weeks, and we're renewing our lease with hell-landlord only to make buying a house slightly smoother this next year, so I'm not worried about bringing a baby therapy dog in training home right now. He's also pre-enrolled in Puppy K with our favorite trainer ever.

I didn't realize how much I did get done even with the ceiling drama until I really talked about it in depth with the therapist. It's okay to give yourself some credit, guys!

__

February 20, 2017--I had a meltdown last week and a meltdown yesterday, who would've thought I have a sadbrains? YAY. It'll get better. More progress next week I guess.

__

February 26, 2017--Frankie is home. Beans is happy but a weird turd. I went to therapy 4 days last week because of intrusive thoughts but I have a plan for working with the current set of thoughts, at least (logic is good, understanding and giving myself space is good). The meltdown hasn't helped much but it did bring me to a window of perspective and that's good! Progress!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

update posted. i've been, um, having a really good weekend. :D

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

update about to be posted. another really good weekend. real real real good. not gonna claim any false miracles tho but i'm walking around with a stupid grin all the time.

thanks, therapy, haha.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cool good things about resolutions that you make are that they might make you figure out that what you thought you wanted wasn't what you wanted at all! and also that it's okay to want different things!

neat!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

depression is stronger than any resolution i could make or any other part of me
it will always win
its the only thing about me that doesnt scream loser :unsmith:

bebop god dang it to h*ck, you are my friend and ilu because of it, but you frustrate me sometimes, bub. i don't think you're a loser or i wouldn't fuckin' talk to you so much, and people wouldn't ask where you were all the dang time.

if you wanna talk about it, you know i'm here, and you always know where to find me (and who can). come hang out, we'll bitch about music and talk about mental health.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I had 2 goals:

I met both of my goals. Like, literally, the first one was the easiest bandaid rip off once I started the process. It was just terrifying to have to shut down a business and restart, and it was a slog, but it was worth it. Relieved.

The second one is an ongoing process and a lot of upheaval is going on relationship wise but it's good. It's healthy, and it's a process, and I'm a lot happier and lot more engaged in my life than I was before when I was just being passive. I still let things just happen--leaf on a stream, etc.--but I know that I can actively drive my own responses to those things happening in a lot healthier way.

Please duckie give me my tag.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Me too. I'm proud of all of you guys, and I'm proud of me, selfishly. You guys helped me a lot, just knowing that you guys were going to actually give a poo poo about my progress even if it was for a forum tag. And it worked. I am Pavlov's poster, and I'm glad of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I Was The Fury posted:

So I tried to meet my 500 miles resolution and am on track to at least finish it by July at the latest. Moving back in with my parents last week has changed my dog-walking path to be several miles longer, so that has helped. However to date I have only made it 373 miles of the intended 500, so I have failed.

you didn't fail, hon, you did a great job and we're proud of you!!!

seriously, you guys trying made me try, thank you.

• Locked thread