Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

A little late, but I want in! I've been getting pretty far behind on my music lately, and if I want to finish anything I've started I really need to crack down on getting stuff written and refined.

A couple of goals:

1) Practice at least 30 minutes a day

2) Do a recording at least twice a month, hopefully get some feedback and make improvements

3) Finally learn how to play that drat piano

4) Have at least 3 songs done, or at least fully written, by the end of March

And I'm no musical genius, but if any other music folks want someone to throw ideas around with, I'd be glad to help however I can!
Good luck everybody, looking forward to seeing what we can get done!

WEEK 1 UPDATE
Practice time: ~4 hours
Recording: https://soundcloud.com/user-253733554/sgull_1

Got a lot of practice in, finally getting the hang of my modal scales, just need to work on meshing the different modes together and making my lines a bit more fluid.
Knocked out a super rough recording, but I don't know whether to make it a mainly finger picked piece or put some rhythm and additional instrumentation behind it.

Goals for next week: Keep working on modes and transitioning between them, write either a chord progression or additional instrument track for this here scratch track

WEEK 2 UPDATE
Total practice time: 8 hours

Started working on practicing my piano technique. Getting both hands to play at the same time is a bit of a challenge, but I'm making progress. Keeping good finger position while progressing up and down scales is a challenge too, and I 'd like to have a better grasp on it by the end of the month.

Goals for next week: Work on scale progression, simultaneous playing with both hands, record some backing piano for the scratch

WEEK 3 UPDATE
Total practice time: 11 hours

School started last week, so free time has been at a bit of a premium. Made a lot of progress in getting both hands synchronized properly, and started on writing a new piece that I'll try to have recorded by next week.

Goals for next week: Work on recording

Rock Paper Tongue fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Update's in!

Really digging the blog, Fanky! I love looking at how humans made sense of natural phenomena before we had the know how and technology to properly explain them :D
How long have you been in the field?

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Off work, finally getting to peep out everybody's progress so far. Props to all of the excercisin' and dieting folks. It takes a whole lot of effort and willpower to maintain that sort of discipline, so good work, and keep it up!

And that's super cool! Never met anybody in anthropology, much less one who was in it for 9 years. Definitely looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Update is in! Hoping some of my fellow music buds swing on by again

e: quote is not edit

Rock Paper Tongue fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2017

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i did a music

i hope yall like its p basic

Not really my cup of tea genre-wise, but its got a really nice chill vibe to it and it made for some good background music while I was making breakfast today. Hoping you do some more stuff, I'm always looking for new music to check out!

HaveARottenDay posted:

Is it too late to sign up? I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year and I'm not all that great anyway. Thinking maybe I learn a new song every week.

And you should absolutely join up! Music is good and more people should do it :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

Little late, but update's been posted. Being back in school has really made it hard to find good practice time, but I'm going to keep at it the best I can!

• Locked thread