Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffieDuckie

Welcome to the official byob 2017 new years resolution thread!

Rules:

(1) post in this thread indicating what your resolution will be and how you will measure success/effort.

(2) ONCE A WEEK update that post with your weekly update. It will be impossible to track down everyone's posts to see if they updated us, so please put the updates in your sign up post

(3) everyone who TRIES will get a free tag that looks like this

Trying means you update us every week and tell us how you did. Humans are not perfect. You're going to eat that piece of birthday cake. Trying means you don't throw your hands up after you eat the cake and go "welp i give up". Post in your weekly update "i did pretty well except on tuesday i ate a piece of cake". Then keep trying

If you miss a weekly update you don't go "welp see i'll never do it" and you walk away. as soon as you remember you pop in and give an update and work harder to remember next time.

(4) contest starts now and ends at the end of March. Yes you have to do it that long because actually changing things takes a long time. Yes this is a long time for byob to keep interested in something. You're going to EARN that tag and you're going to be a better person for it.

(5) pick something accomplishable. you're not going to stop smoking, drinking, smoking weed, and lose 50 pounds this month. please don't set yourself up to fail.

(6) there will be special prizes for super achievers. more on that later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

I'm in!

My goals

(1) holy cow have i gained some weight this holiday. Starting NOW, i'm going to start getting my eating under control by using myfitnesspal to track everything i eat. I will set up an account that anyone can look at. that will for sure keep me in line.

(2) i hurt my foot again and that's kept me out of the gym which is compounding the problem in number 1. i'm going to find something active to do that i can do with a bum foot and do that at least 3 times a week. I will enter that activity into myfitnesspal.

(3) i need a job. paid or volunteer. i have got to do something positive to make the world a better place. i will spend at least 2 hours a week working on my resume and job hunting. this isn't a lot of time and i expect i'll spend more time, but we're starting with baby steps here. I will report my progress to this thread weekly.

-------

1/7/17 report

(1) my calorie intake since starting tracking

i don't even want to talk about new years eve, but other than that i'm pretty drat proud of myself

(2) gah. i made it to the gym once this week instead of 3 times. i'm not proud of this but it's largely related to my kickassedness on number 3

(3) my goal was to work at least 2 hours a week on my resume and job search. instead i spent all day one day editing my resume and cover letter, sent them in to a volunteer job posting, had an interview on thursday, and started the job on friday. it's a volunteer finance associate at a small non profit who's doing some great things with refugees and immigrants. it's supposed to be 10 hours a week, so 2 5 hour days, but starting monday i'm the ONLY finance person they have and their books are a mess so i'm afraid this is going to turn into a THING. but for now we're going to call this resolution ACHIEVED.

-------

1/14/17 report

holy hell what a bad week

(1) i only tracked calories 4 out of the 7 days this last week. i'm at that critical point where i jump back on that horse or say gently caress it, so i'm jumping back on it. strangely i got on the scale and i've lost 5 pounds since we started this so clearly something's working so i'm trying hard not to beat myself up too much over this

(2) ok so i worked out 3 times this week but only because our back fence blew down in the storm and now i have to walk the dogs 4 times a day. which is awful for my foot so i have an appointment to get steroid shots in my foot on monday. so let's call this one acheived only because life forced me to

(3) welp after getting a look at the financial records at my new company i walked out, had a long conversation with the HR manager highlighting all the legal problems they were headed for, and never went back. let's just say they've been misstating revenues to the IRS for many many years and have no backup so they're headed for the kind of headache no sane person would sign up for, especially for free. i'm going to catch my breath after that one but at least i have a good resume and cover letter format for when i'm ready to try again. this time i'm only applying to nonprofits with audited records. i guess learning is a good thing.

-----

week 3 report

welp. i thought last week was bad. i'm lucky to have survived this week. seriously. that should be my accomplishment. still alive

(1) tracked calories 4 out of the 7 days. lost another pound, but that was just pure luck i think

(2) finally bit the bullet and got steroid shots in the arch of my foot. i got tired of not being able to do normal things. this meant i did nothing active and instead sat on the couch with a swollen foot, but i'm set up to get back in the gym next week

(3) looked online for jobs my required 2 hours but after the last disaster, i'm being super careful who i'm getting involved with, so i didn't apply anywhere

next week has to be better right?

-----

week 4 report

(1) tracked calories 5 out of 7 days. overall i did "ok". still struggling with this one a bit

(2) worked out 3 out of 3 days this week (whoop!). hopefully i have this one under control now

(3) i've decided that what i'm trying to do is look for something valuable to do that doesn't actually have to be "a job". so i've started getting involved in some activism activities. I put in way more than 2 hours this week, including protesting at sfo this weekend and attending a conference call on upcoming events. I have a little transportation problem getting to some of these, but i'm definitely "on track" on this one

---

week 5 report

(1) tracked calories 4/7 days but i should get credit for 5 bc one day myfitnesspal was dead

(2) went to the gym 3/3 days this week, plus tried to be "active" most other days

(3) putting in way more than my 2 hours a week on activism activities. I'm calling my representatives daily. I'm attending planning calls. I've resolved my transportation problem into the city so I'll be starting going up there next week.

in general things are pretty good. next week i'm focusing more on my eating. just went to the grocery and bought super healthy stuff so let's see how that goes

---

week 6 report

I was sick every day this week so my biggest accomplishment was surviving

(1) tracked calories 0/7 days but didn't eat much so i think i accomplished this in spirit

(2) went the the gym 0/3 days. walking accross the house was exercise enough thank you

(3) actually accomplished this one. Went to a meeting where i got lots of good activist info. since we don't talk politics here, feel free to pm or email me for a list of good online resources for people wanting to get involved. also spent my sitting on the couch time to do some planning. so i spent way more than my 2 hours on this this week.

----

extremely late week 7 report

(1) tracked calories 4/7 days. part of that was because i was sick, part was because i'm just really off track over here

(2) went to the gym 0/3 days. since i'm posting this late i can give you the spoiler that i'm turning that around this coming week

(3) omg I'm all over this one. I'm making at least 3 calls a day, sending out 2-4 postcards a day, and sat in on 2 conference calls. I work at least 3 hours a day gathering info and generally making myself a pain in the rear end for elected officials everywhere.

-----

only moderately late week 8 report

(1) tracked calories 3/7 days.

(2) went to gym or exercised in some way 4/3 days (yay)

(3) went to 1 protest and spent at least 2 hours a day making calls, sending postcards, and listening to conference calls.

___

week 9 reports

(1) tracked calories none days this weeek. I was finding that tracking calories was actually causing more problems than it solved bc as soon as i went over on calories one day i'd be like "Well hell i guess this day is blown" and then i'd eat all the food i could find. so now i'm just trying to make smart choices one by one. like having salmon at the italian restaurant instead of pasta. i'd say that's working way better so i'm going to stick with that

(2) exercised 3/3 days

(3) continue to kick butt on this one. spend at least 2 hours a day every morning on calls/postcards/etc, went to a town hall, went to an org meeting for a new group starting up.

_____

week 10 report

(1) tracked none, but my eating has been much healthier since i stopped obsessing about it

(2) exerceised 3/3 days

(3) went to protest, attended 2 meetings, made countless phone calls, mailed 12 postcards.

------

Week 11 report

(1) I don't want to talk about it

(2) exercised 2/3 days

(3) made 12 phone calls, sent 10 postcards, and attended 1 meeting

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

yipee!

i was starting to think i was going to be alone

FluffieDuckie

these are all great.

i can report that today has been a much better day just knowing i have to report in. i tracked all my food and planned so i hit 1200 calories exactly, read an article on hybrid resumes, and started reworking my resume. so day 1 done. yay!

FluffieDuckie

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

t.s. smelliot, you are a good person for doing what is literally the hardest job anyone has to do, and i am so sorry. i am truly, truly sorry. i know you probably already included this in your "not feeling emotionally dead" plans but you should really talk to someone else, another professional too, about your experiences. for one, you deserve better, no one should be holding the lives and actions of ANYONE ELSE against you for any reason. that's not just unprofessional, that's manipulative and hosed up, and it's obviously causing some post-traumatic feelings in you. you deserve so much better. *hugs*

Ladybeard's right. Part of healing will probably need to include reaching out to a therapist to fully recover. Anyone who's been through what you have needs help recovering.

:glomp:

FluffieDuckie

MrWillsauce posted:

I dunno... I really hate it. When I'm doing it I just wanna stop and do nothing. I don't have very much willpower. I feel like I don't do nearly as much as I could when I go to the gym. Good thing I have a buddy who makes me do something

hang in there willsauce. yesterday i went back to the gym after being injured and couldn't believe how weak i've become and just wanted to give up, so i know how that feels. but i know if you keep it up you'll start enjoying it

FluffieDuckie

guns for tits posted:

Count your calorie intake and go for 45 to 60 minute runs about 5 days a week.

Myfitnesspal is great for tracking calories. It's working really well for me

FluffieDuckie

i know my update isn't due till this weekend, but instead of working on my resume for a couple of hours this week i worked on it all new years day, applied for a volunteer job, got an interview, and just got offered the job

FluffieDuckie

it's a volunteer finance associate at a group that provides counseling and legal services to refugees and immigrants

so the cause is pretty awesome. the job is going to be frustrating. like they have no accounting procedures in place despite being around for 5 years

FluffieDuckie

MrWillsauce posted:

grilled cheese is real. real good

Dude use myfitnesspal. Put your food in there for a couple of days. It will tell you if you're eating too many carbs

FluffieDuckie

:siren: week 1 reports are due guys! :siren:

remember to put them in your opt in posts.

mine is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

FluffieDuckie

It's not a failure. It's a setback. I didn't make 3 days in the gym so I'm trying to work out a schedule for next week to make sure it happens

FluffieDuckie

Also I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I need to go in for another steroid shot in my foot and this is no small thing.

FluffieDuckie

:siren: weekly reports due :siren:

mine is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

life tried to kill me this week but i'm still here so at least there's that

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

aint this a day early

we started on sunday
shoulnd we report on the past week on a sunday? idk maybe i just count weird

e : not that i didn up date!! check the 1st page for the scary terry / alien / matoi ryuko / social vegan sig

dude this is byob. if you turn it in on a wednesday we don't care

FluffieDuckie

Mariana Horchata posted:

Haven't smoked a fag in about 2 weeks now and drinking has been restricted to two notes a week on average so far so good another BYOB success story thx fluffy dux u make Jenny Craig look like a fool u so cool

ofc

It's Blueberry season!

(literally it is in Chile, home of the world's greatest blueberries)

you go girl

be sure to be posting your updates in your sign up thread if you want to qualify for an awesome tag

FluffieDuckie

HaveARottenDay posted:

Is it too late to sign up? I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year and I'm not all that great anyway. Thinking maybe I learn a new song every week.

nope. get on board :getin:

FluffieDuckie

:siren: week 3 reports are due in your sign in post :siren:

my week sucked all the way around. my goal for next week is for it to not suck

FluffieDuckie

death sext posted:

this wasn't in my official resolutions, but my personal small resolution was to organize my very cluttered bathroom. I went from 90% of my counter space being taken up by skincare stuff and makeup, to a nearly empty counter with all my stuff tidily organized in a rolling set of drawers. it feels so much better :sweatdrop:

god i love that feeling

FluffieDuckie

Dangerous Minority posted:

Little late, but update's been posted. Being back in school has really made it hard to find good practice time, but I'm going to keep at it the best I can!

this project is about not giving up so as long as you're hanging in there, that's what's important

FluffieDuckie

:siren: updates are due! :siren:

mine is in my opt in post (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post467813519), but lets just say my goal of this week being "better" was acheived

FluffieDuckie

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

update in the opt-in post; back to work for me.

it sounds like you're doing great :glomp:

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i hosed up my resolution just like i hosed up everything in my life, only not so much, you know ?

Only you can make that change.

FluffieDuckie

Hogge Wild posted:

• 1/3 sets of exercise
  • 0/3 hours of harmonica practice
  • 1 hours of some kind of art
  • 5/500 sorted pics in my pics folder

Worse than last week.

Hang in there. You can turn it around

FluffieDuckie

that's really cool :)

FluffieDuckie

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 6, 2017

FluffieDuckie

i'm a big fan of therapy. i think everyone should be in therapy

FluffieDuckie

i was sick all week so my report is pathetic but it's here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467813519

FluffieDuckie

week 7 updates were due like 3 days ago. sorry i'm so late

FluffieDuckie

Updates are due!

FluffieDuckie

:siren: updates were due yesterday :siren:

we're just doing this through the end of march so you guys dig deep and get your poo poo done

FluffieDuckie

sorry i was late reminding everyone reports were due.

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

what? my resolutions just show how bad i am at life and make me think how good it will be to die. im a fukken loser tho

hush

i'm not tearing my resolutions up but in the end I'm going to be better off than before I started and I'm going to count that as a win

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

depression is stronger than any resolution i could make or any other part of me
it will always win
its the only thing about me that doesnt scream loser :unsmith:

Are you under the care of a physician?

FluffieDuckie

shabbat goy posted:

Finished one of my resolutions today - I got my motorcycle license! Passed the test on a tiny little Honda Grom which was awesome. I kinda wanna buy one now...

:peanut:

FluffieDuckie

Second to last updates due!

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 27, 2017

FluffieDuckie

It's april - we did it!

post below to give a short summary of your progress and to claim your tag.

I'll go first:

I had 3 goals:

(1) using my fitness pal to track my eating to get it under control
(2) exercise 3 days a week
(3) get a job (volunteer or paid) to give me something positive to work on

We're going to call numbers 2 and 3 accomplished. I struggled with number 1 and found that the tracking was causing more problems than it was solving. So I shifted to just focusing on healthy eating and I'm doing significantly better than I was at the beginning of the year, so I'm going to call this one "improved"

Overall at the end of the 3 months I'm significantly healthier and happier than when we started so I'm going to call this a win. Please duckie give me my tag.

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

I'd like a tag please :d:

Dude, the format

FluffieDuckie

death sext posted:

my resolutions were:

1. remove meat from my diet
2. adopt a regular yoga routine
3. exercise

Overall I'm calling my goals a success. Through the journey I hit some stumbling blocks and made some tweaks, but I've come out the other side still doing all three things.

My intended vegetarianism has become more of a pescatarian thing, but I'm not going to worry about labels. Definitely going to continue. I nixed evening yoga because it just wasn't what I was looking for, but morning yoga is still in and puts me in a better space for the rest of the day. I love my exercise bike. I've lost some weight. I have more energy and stamina.

Thanks for the accountability. Most successful resolution year ever.

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

my goal was to stop eating mammals, except on pizza (or prime rib i guess if i hit the lottery) and to meditate , (which ive done in charlotte, homework permitting) and to record an EP this year. i dropped a mixtape last month and recorded a session with my band last week.

id say the first two goals are successes and the third im making steady progress towards

hope yall rockin hard this yer too

Good job!

• Locked thread