Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

The Million Women March protest seems to be primarily by and for white women, and leftists are desperately trying to drag liberals, kicking and screaming, into any mild understanding of intersectionality http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017...ump-supporters/

Also, lol

White People ruin everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://kboo.fm/media/55139-black-max-riders-without-fare-are-more-likely-be-banned-trimetplus-margaret-jacobsen

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

What changed Civil Rights more: the LA Riots or King's peaceful protests that turned into Riots?

Trick question, it was calm white people explaining things calmly.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh no! Big Daddy Wheeler won't take this poo poo lying down!

I absolutely love all the pearl clutchers who keep talking about the post-election riots. Seriously, if those were riots, they were the weakest riots I've ever seen. Sure, a minuscule amount of property got smashed up, and that's never a great look (although it made for some really great destruction photos once the cropping was finished!), but I think riot is a huge stretch.

And anyway, why the gently caress are we devoting large plots of land in the urban core to a commercial activity that can be handled just fine on the edge of town. gently caress car lots. What a wasted space.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Portland police said the post-election protests were riots, and they were even milder than this.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

The Portland police said the post-election protests were riots, and they were even milder than this.

Oh yeah. I thought he was referring to the post election ones. Didn't realize anything had really gone down yet. I'm probably heading downtown within the hour. Has anything even started yet?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

xrunner posted:

Oh yeah. I thought he was referring to the post election ones. Didn't realize anything had really gone down yet. I'm probably heading downtown within the hour. Has anything even started yet?

Yea, flag burning contest.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/01/20/18803661/the-mercurys-live-updates-from-portlands-trump-inauguration-protests

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
PSU/PCC walkouts happened earlier and maybe some of the high schools too

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ha. So the fire extinguisher dude got cold feet?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Ha. So the fire extinguisher dude got cold feet?
Apparently. Like the biker gangs in DC.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Cops are taking away signs weapons from the protesters
https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/822563610312450049
https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice/status/822583244256378880

Also the Mercury is still garbage
https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/822582259538624522

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

He had to go to work.

Republicans in America: complaining that Obama took away all the jobs so they're all too busy at their jobs to protest.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Apparently. Like the biker gangs in DC.

Unsurprising. It'd take a pretty serious amount of courage to charge into a hostile crowd to assault somebody with a fire extinguisher.

Say what you will, it's a pretty funny caption.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Say what you will, it's a pretty funny caption.
Sometimes,

Just not when they're serious.https://twitter.com/ENBrown/status/822535666441613317

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mist be a decent turnout in Seattle too, I'm on a bus and they're telling drivers over the radio how to reroute around 4th ave.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Welp militia nuts in an army surplus truck with a trump flag just drove through town.

Joy it's a circuit.

Yep three times, dog is about done making GBS threads now.

Looks like a third go round. This time with white power hand gestures.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrandorKP posted:

Welp militia nuts in an army surplus truck with a trump flag just drove through town.

Joy it's a circuit.

Yep three times, dog is about done making GBS threads now.

Looks like a third go round. This time with white power hand gestures.

Throw dog poop at them

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Was honestly too stunned to do much other than go, what the gently caress. And then think, well don't want these assholes to see where I live.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anyone going to the women's march in Portland tomorrow?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yee

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
How about in Seattle?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

the escape goat posted:

anyone going to the women's march in Portland tomorrow?

Hopefully it's a little smoother than this evening. PPB was stupid lovely and aggressive the entire night. Watched more than one officer dressed in riot gear basically try to instigate a fight with the crowd. The guys out tonight were spoiling for trouble and not really trying to hide it. I'm pretty sure they just wanted a good chance to show the new mayor how tough they can be.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm nervous for tomorrow as I have some 70yo+ friends attending and I don't think they are expecting anything other than a peaceful march.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm nervous for tomorrow as I have some 70yo+ friends attending and I don't think they are expecting anything other than a peaceful march.

I know a few people who are bringing their kids tomorrow. I hope the main group stays reasonably under control for their sake.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The pigs wanted to fight teenagers last night, they'll be hands off with the grandmaws unless something goes wrong

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I heard someone got shot up in Seattle last night?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

I heard someone got shot up in Seattle last night?

I dont have a ton of details. But it was an antifa medic that got shot, by one of the milo y supporters who "managed to get away" in the middle of 300 cops.

According to folks who were there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Error 404 posted:

I dont have a ton of details. But it was an antifa medic that got shot, by one of the milo y supporters who "managed to get away" in the middle of 300 cops.

According to folks who were there.

KUOW reported this morning that the shooter turned himself into police and he's in custody.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

KUOW reported this morning that the shooter turned himself into police and he's in custody.
Looks like that's on the police blotter, and apparently people were throwing rocks and bricks at police.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just arrived in Portland from the south earlier this year and it's certainly been eventful. A very small thing but I work for the city and during the recent inclement weather all city employees received an email about volunteering for shifts at the Portland Building since it was being opened up as a temporary homeless shelter. I thought this was really cool up until I saw how incredibly few shelters actually exist in this town. No loving duh there is a homeless problem, they have no where to go but the street.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just arrived in Portland from the south earlier this year and it's certainly been eventful. A very small thing but I work for the city and during the recent inclement weather all city employees received an email about volunteering for shifts at the Portland Building since it was being opened up as a temporary homeless shelter. I thought this was really cool up until I saw how incredibly few shelters actually exist in this town. No loving duh there is a homeless problem, they have no where to go but the street.
Have you heard about Right 2 Dream Too yet?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Have you heard about Right 2 Dream Too yet?

I keep seeing that as I walk around. What exactly is it? Looks like a shanty town or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Way back in the day, that location used to be an adult bookstore, but the city tore it down for code violations. The landowner decided that he could get back at the city by allowing homeless to camp there. Right 2 Dream Too was subsequently threatened with lawsuits from the city, and they told the city to gently caress off. Eventually the city relented. The city still wants them to leave because it's unsightly etc. (see also our attempts at a sit-lie ordinance) but they are doing an increasingly pisspoor job of actually finding a viable location. The first one that I'm aware of was under an overpass, but it was too close to the Pearl District (which, if you're unfamiliar with Portland, is the rich white snobbery part of the city) and some tenant association got hugely pissed off at the city so the city decided it couldn't be there. There've been a few other places, but they've never turned out for one reason or another. They've been at that spot on Burnside for around five years, and the city's still spending time and money vacillating over what they're going to do. In spite of everything, the city still believes that the camp needs to move.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Way back in the day, that location used to be an adult bookstore, but the city tore it down for code violations. The landowner decided that he could get back at the city by allowing homeless to camp there. Right 2 Dream Too was subsequently threatened with lawsuits from the city, and they told the city to gently caress off. Eventually the city relented. The city still wants them to leave because it's unsightly etc. (see also our attempts at a sit-lie ordinance) but they are doing an increasingly pisspoor job of actually finding a viable location. The first one that I'm aware of was under an overpass, but it was too close to the Pearl District (which, if you're unfamiliar with Portland, is the rich white snobbery part of the city) and some tenant association got hugely pissed off at the city so the city decided it couldn't be there. There've been a few other places, but they've never turned out for one reason or another. They've been at that spot on Burnside for around five years, and the city's still spending time and money vacillating over what they're going to do. In spite of everything, the city still believes that the camp needs to move.

Ah, so it's a homeless camp with a rich history of saying "gently caress you" to Portland. I can kind of get on board with that. FWIW it seems well run, and has never bothered me at all. That area is where Central Concern is and such anyway, so it's probably a reasonable location for people that need to be able to have services and food in walking distance. It'd be nice if it could be a proper shelter though, with room for way more people.

Is there any sort of organization that oversees it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Ah, so it's a homeless camp with a rich history of saying "gently caress you" to Portland. I can kind of get on board with that. FWIW it seems well run, and has never bothered me at all. That area is where Central Concern is and such anyway, so it's probably a reasonable location for people that need to be able to have services and food in walking distance. It'd be nice if it could be a proper shelter though, with room for way more people.

Is there any sort of organization that oversees it?
They're like a self-governing entity, and considering how much people don't hear about it, I'd say they do a good job.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

They're like a self-governing entity, and considering how much people don't hear about it, I'd say they do a good job.

Yeah, I'm thinking its one of their goals to fly under the radar and let people just live in peace.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Allegedly this is the guy who got shot in Seattle https://www.youcaring.com/joshdukes-741490

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/tinysubversions/status/823046935074349056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

Allegedly this is the guy who got shot in Seattle https://www.youcaring.com/joshdukes-741490

and apparently the guy who shot him is claiming self defense and wasn't charged by the police?