Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I was at the UW protest against Milo with Antifa, and know the guy who got shot through a friend. He's a member of the IWW. The rear end in a top hat who shot him claims "self-defense", but I'm telling you, he totally could have walked away if he really wanted to. Guns aren't even allowed on campus anyways, so he shouldn't have been packing if he was going to the Milo event.

Anyway, the guy who got shot is a good dude and there's a medical fund for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doorknob Slobber posted:

and apparently the guy who shot him is claiming self defense and wasn't charged by the police?
Haven't heard that yet but I wouldn't be surprised

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm curious to know if they were taking canes from anyone, "sorry bud but we can't have you standing or walking."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

I'm curious to know if they were taking canes from anyone, "sorry bud but we can't have you standing or walking."
What are you gonna do about it, sue them?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

What are you gonna do about it, sue them?

chew on their ankles

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NigelJaquiss/status/822824268807348225

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the phrase "tax expert" makes me think of like the mises institute

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Running a state on sin taxes only works during a boom flush with immigrants. Good forward thinking! WA is doing the same dumb poo poo too, lmao.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Death to America

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What are you eating if your stool has three legs in it

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

got any sevens posted:

Running a state on sin taxes only works during a boom flush with immigrants. Good forward thinking! WA is doing the same dumb poo poo too, lmao.

Same with funding our state employee retirement plan with money from the stock market lmao

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

We'll never be free of measures 5 & 50 either. Thanks Oregon voters in the nineties.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shifty Nipples posted:

What are you eating if your stool has three legs in it

Frogs, ducks, and spiders.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I was at the UW protest against Milo with Antifa, and know the guy who got shot through a friend. He's a member of the IWW. The rear end in a top hat who shot him claims "self-defense", but I'm telling you, he totally could have walked away if he really wanted to. Guns aren't even allowed on campus anyways, so he shouldn't have been packing if he was going to the Milo event.

Anyway, the guy who got shot is a good dude and there's a medical fund for him

Came here to post this; it turns out he's a relative of mine, so thanks for doing the needful.

Early signs show he's going to be ok, but I don't have all the details and am still worried. Given the nature of the shitbag he was protesting they're trying to keep a lid on things but help if you can, even if "just" by doing more to fight this poo poo.

Pretty sure I saw a goon name or two in the donation feed, so serious thanks all 'round.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

George posted:

Came here to post this; it turns out he's a relative of mine, so thanks for doing the needful.

Early signs show he's going to be ok, but I don't have all the details and am still worried. Given the nature of the shitbag he was protesting they're trying to keep a lid on things but help if you can, even if "just" by doing more to fight this poo poo.

Pretty sure I saw a goon name or two in the donation feed, so serious thanks all 'round.

I kicked him a few bucks and I'll kick a few heads in his honor. Tell him get well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just arrived in Portland from the south earlier this year and it's certainly been eventful. A very small thing but I work for the city and during the recent inclement weather all city employees received an email about volunteering for shifts at the Portland Building since it was being opened up as a temporary homeless shelter. I thought this was really cool up until I saw how incredibly few shelters actually exist in this town. No loving duh there is a homeless problem, they have no where to go but the street.

Yeah, it is the city's greatest embarrassment and the lack of concern by the city hall has always been on the more bizarre side of inhumane. There is no choice to build more shelters (and more than a few) and every attempt has seemingly failed in any serious capacity (compared to short term fixes like housing people in basements for a while then kicking them out).

I live abroad at the moment, and when I told some of my friends that yeah people fairly regularly freeze to death in Portland during the winter because there is no where to go they thought I was joking.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Trump supporter shot up a shop in downtown Oly inauguration night

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/complaints_about_police_tactic.html#incart_breaking

PPB showed up looking for a riot, and, when they didn't find one and failed to provoke one, they just took their frustration out on the crowd.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/01/complaints_about_police_tactic.html#incart_breaking

PPB showed up looking for a riot, and, when they didn't find one and failed to provoke one, they just took their frustration out on the crowd.
https://twitter.com/jmzebra/status/823039620262854656

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Seattle Times has named the victim, but not the shooter, out of their respect for fascism. Remarkably, they also printed this:

quote:

His Seattle attorney, Sarah Lippek, confirmed his identity, although she said Dukes was concerned about his name being made public “as the risk of harassment and threats is very real, and my client needs time to rest and recover from his injuries.”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

Seattle Times has named the victim, but not the shooter, out of their respect for fascism. Remarkably, they also printed this:

I read that this morning, and thought it was total bullshit. Also, I have a bad feeling the shooter won't get charged, claiming "self-defense" even though he brought a gun on the UW campus.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

seiferguy posted:

I read that this morning, and thought it was total bullshit. Also, I have a bad feeling the shooter won't get charged, claiming "self-defense" even though he brought a gun on the UW campus.

The thing that really makes me mad is that the president of UW has made statements after the shooting that blame both sides equally, as though the Antifa are just as much to blame that they got shot as the reactionary who brought a loving gun and used it at a scene like that. She was a coward about the whole affair up to it (she was warned many times by many members of the community that this kind of thing was going to loving happen if they let Milo come to UW), but she refused to listen.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

Even after he and the IWW supposedly asked he not be named in the press. Someone better release the name of this shooter.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

The thing that really makes me mad is that the president of UW has made statements after the shooting that blame both sides equally, as though the Antifa are just as much to blame that they got shot as the reactionary who brought a loving gun and used it at a scene like that.

I read her statement too. Basically it read like "I wanted to shut it down because I too, did not agree with the message. But I didn't want to have to deal with angry e-mails from the alt-right so I let it happen!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone reportedly found this in Ashland https://twitter.com/RedConversation/status/823786561695166465

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gently caress Cascadia

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Of course the Seattle Times editorial board is stating that it's good that Milo was able to speak at UW, because we need to hear "differing opinions":

http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/an-important-lesson-at-the-uw-on-free-speech/

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah we should definitely hear both sides of the "I will actively incite my followers to harass and outright do violence against marginalized people" debate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If they don't want to listen to the people who go to their college, maybe they'd like to listen to :siren: FAMOUS PERSON :siren: Leslie Jones to see exactly what kind of communication they're engaging in.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In national news, Oregon senator Jeff Merkley got a staffer to admit that the Trump inauguration crowds were smaller than reported. This is a huge win for Democrats,

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/823959492320788480

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

anthonypants posted:

In national news, Oregon senator Jeff Merkley got a staffer to admit that the Trump inauguration crowds were smaller than reported. This is a huge win for Democrats,

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/823959492320788480

It's the only win for the Democrats, so they'll make as much of it as they can.

You know, rather than actually doing anything meaningful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/uw-shooting/

quote:

[t]he 29-year-old former UW student posted to Yiannopoulos’ Facebook page at 7:24 p.m. “im outside in line to your UW event. “I got sucker punched (he was a bit limp wristed) and someone jacked my #MAGA hat,” he said, referring to the ubiquitous red and white “Make America Great Again” caps worn by supporters of President Trump.
Sometime just before 8:30 p.m., the man — who at this point was wearing a yellow hat — was involved in a scuffle with several people, and he allegedly shot and wounded the other man.
Know when I go to a college campus to see a speaking even, I make sure to pack multiple baseball caps. Right next to my concealed carry holster. Just in case.

Or maybe, you know, he went to the hat shop at 8pm and came back?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.richardsilverstein.com/2017/01/24/uw-shooter-identified/

quote:

Marc Hokoana, age 29, a known pro-gun activist, can be seen in video and still photographs at the scene shooting a protester. Hokoana is originally from Lacey, WA and graduated from Timberline High School in 2006. He is also a UW alumnus. He appears to be living in Lacey currently.

But really, we should just listen to what these people have to say. We shouldn't call this shooting violence and we should keep level heads when reporting on this incident and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. sarcasm

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 25, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Doorknob Slobber posted:

https://www.richardsilverstein.com/2017/01/24/uw-shooter-identified/

But really, we should just listen to what these people have to say. We shouldn't call this shooting violence and we should keep level heads when reporting on this incident and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. sarcasm

I saw that piece of poo poo trying to start things earlier! I bet he went to that event just waiting for an excuse to shoot someone.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I saw that piece of poo poo trying to start things earlier! I bet he went to that event just waiting for an excuse to shoot someone.

you should email the ag or whatever that info could change attempted manslaughter to attempted murder if I understand law correctly

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Doorknob Slobber posted:

you should email the ag or whatever that info could change attempted manslaughter to attempted murder if I understand law correctly

Yeah, I just sent an email to a link someone posted on their Facebook page to the King county prosecuting attorney. And I shared this link with other comrades. Thanks for putting it up!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's The Stranger with a hot take regarding the shooting: Both Sides Were Wrong

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

oxbrain posted:

It's the only win for the Democrats, so they'll make as much of it as they can.

You know, rather than actually doing anything meaningful.

What the gently caress can they even do? The Republicans hold every branch of government right now by a majority, and most State governments. And Republicans are using legislative tricks to keep filibusters at bay - they learned that from 8 years of having the Democrats do that to them.

We may be a numerically larger group of people, but that doesn't mean poo poo in electoral elections or gerrymandered districts.

Hell, we had one of the most massive marches in history and literally nothing came out of it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

What the gently caress can they even do? The Republicans hold every branch of government right now by a majority, and most State governments. And Republicans are using legislative tricks to keep filibusters at bay - they learned that from 8 years of having the Democrats do that to them.

We may be a numerically larger group of people, but that doesn't mean poo poo in electoral elections or gerrymandered districts.

Hell, we had one of the most massive marches in history and literally nothing came out of it.

*strokes mustache very stalinishly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Get leftist candidates for every available Democrat seat up for election in 2018.