Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for 'old' anime this year i watched:

murder princess
Hotarubi no Mori e (ova)
Giovanni's Island (movie)
Senyuu (shorts)
Otaku no Seiza (ova)
Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days & movies
Acchi Kocchi
Kyousou Giga
galaxy railways
gdgd Fairies 1+2 (half length)
Mouryou no Hako
Princess Arete (movie)
Genius Party & Beyond (movies)
The Sky Crawlers (movie)
Seto no Hanayome
Last Exile
sega hard girls (half length)
Otona Joshi no Anime Time
Nerawareta Gakuen
steamboy
Cobra The Animation
beck
ghost hound
Figure 17: Tsubasa & Hikaru
Ghost in the Shell (watching gits sac now)
Hyouge Mono
Kowabon (shorts)
Kuro ga Ita Natsu (movie)

so quite the list hah

of these the ones i thought were especially good (and not too popular, series like gits need no introduction) were

Giovanni's Island : a beautiful movie on a subject that isn't often touched in anime, WW2, specifically the russian occupation of several japanese islands. uses inspiration from night on the galactic railroad and childrens imagination to touch a difficult subject in a way i quite liked

gdgd Fairies 1+2: from the makers of tesagure comes a comedy of the sort that isn't too common in anime, unscripted. probably one of the funniest anime shows ever in my opinion

Mouryou no Hako: great mystery with brilliant environmental design, the hospital in it is one of the most disturbing setpieces out there

Seto no Hanayome: if you need more evidence besides the shows this year that the DEEN meme is fail, this is it. once its done doing the traditional harem setup it becomes very funny and its filled to the brim with yakuza parodies

Otona Joshi no Anime Time : josei shows are a rare thing and i'd say that largely this is one of the good ones, its a series of unconnected ovas that are mostly excellent, touching on mundane subjects of the sort a housewife might encounter. the only one i'd say isn't good is the second one. the creators made some decisions with incorporating 3d that made it very ugly and its plot is on the level of a lovely harlequin novel

steamboy: everyone has seen akira, but i feel like barely anyone has seen this? sure its plot is forgettable, but its visuals are beautiful, putting forth insanely detailed and fantastical steampunk visuals. please dont let bad associations with steampunk or rumours of it not comparing to akira dissuade anyone from checking out this movie

beck : great coming of age story with an even greater manga once youre done with it

Hyouge Mono: the kaiji of teacups, what more do i need to say? well, im gonna say a lot more anyway. i saved the best for last cause this show had me compelled from the start to the end. sasuke is a brilliant protagonist, the sort of sneaky underdog you can't help but root for. a samurai who isn't made for fighting, but for art. i've never been one for the very long shows, but this show had me so in its claws that i finished its 39 episodes within 2 weeks. while its visuals might not be the most flashy thing imaginable, it never has any of the huge dips that other anime tend to have. its a show that works very well on every level and tackles a subject that has no other rivals in anime. very nice ed too

https://track3.mixtape.moe/vunkup.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread