Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Just think about it if you made a brain erasing tape would you even know about it? You could end up making piles of them and just forgetting immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I leave this book lying around my flat so that my guests know that I am very smart. :cheers:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Best part of Infinite Jest is the part about the guy who was obsessed with MASH.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
one time i flipped this book open to the exact sentence i needed on the first try without knowing where it was at all

pretty impressive imo

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I read like 800 pages of this book before I gave up because it's a piece of poo poo that dares you to force yourself to finish it. No, book, gently caress you and be a good book instead. There were lots of interesting tidbits and ideas, I actually didn't mind all the footnotes because I write like that sometimes too, and there were a couple cool characters who had interesting narratives, but the 50 page swathes of halfway house chat written in Bostonian nonsense words did me in. Glad what was on the stupid tape was spoiled in this thread.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

I'm about at the part where all those people had their brain erased by the tape.

Was the title of the tape "Infinite Jest"?

that is the beginning. actually it is a nonlinear narrative so the beginning and end are abstract

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the book involving annular fusion is obsessed with rings

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the book was written while the author was in rehab or fresh out of rehab in a halfway house going to AA meetings. although he is one of my favorite writers and i like IJ a lot apparently he stole a lot of stories that people shared in those meetings in confidence for the book and has engaged in some other mid tier lovely human activities

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
When I was in rehab my bunkie told me the story of how his brother duct taped him to a chair and would beat him until their mother came home.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
that is definitely going in my book as soon as i finish this stint in rehab

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

thathonkey posted:

that is definitely going in my book as soon as i finish this stint in rehab

You could probably punch it up a little.

gumdrops
Sep 12, 2016
http://exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/ Still funny

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I love DFW and IJ, but it's not a perfect book. I advise all readers making their first attempt to skip the brief ebonics sections near the beginning of the novel. They're so loving awful, especially for a upper-middle class white male twenty something.

I believe DFW grew to realize it. He said in an interview that as time went on he grew less and less enthusiastic about certain things he's published. I think he's talking about some of the other less than stellar parts as well.

Though I wonder if that interview took place before or after Oblivion was published. Because most of those stories have an abundance of ten-dollar SAT words.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Mr. Unlucky posted:

eric clipperton was a hero

More like an hero amirite?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

I love DFW and IJ, but it's not a perfect book. I advise all readers making their first attempt to skip the brief ebonics sections near the beginning of the novel. They're so loving awful, especially for a upper-middle class white male twenty something.

I believe DFW grew to realize it. He said in an interview that as time went on he grew less and less enthusiastic about certain things he's published. I think he's talking about some of the other less than stellar parts as well.

Though I wonder if that interview took place before or after Oblivion was published. Because most of those stories have an abundance of ten-dollar SAT words.

i read a bit about this woman he was friends with and later stalked and she said one time he was talking about including something in IJ just because he thought it sounded cool and she remarked how immature it seemed. But yeah there's enough brilliant stuff in the book to look past its flaws imo. I havent read it since i was in college though im not so sure ill like it as much now

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

...and the pitch! posted:

If you just want to read about how polish drug dealers describe their junk you don't have to go that deep

"The Frightful Hog" is an amazing name for ur dick. This must be acknowledged.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

ProperCoochie posted:

That's the only part I habitually skip. "Wardine gone be cry" my rear end. But it's like .002% of a genius book, which is a pretty acceptable ratio imo.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

there was one bit where don gately's driving in the borrowed mustang and wallace describes a piece of paper being kicked up by the car's draft and floats across the street landing near that video store targeted by the quebecois wheelchair terrorists as a transition between two plot threads where i thought dude you're nowhere near a good enough writer to pull that poo poo off

other than that it was an okay book. kinda peters out in the last 150 pages or so

That transition was so good and it really made it clear to me that, more than anything, DFW was a writer from the first generation of kids who grew up with TV. Like the technical maneuver of that kind of visual transition between scenes, going from the moving car to the stationary video store that was just a part of the moving background up until that point, is just spot on how that transition would go on vignette-based TV show.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Oh that and also wth Don Gately in the car and he's driving along and spots a pretty lady on the side walk and feels something that DFW refers to as "the strange sadness at the heart of lust" and I'm here like jesus dude and it's basically become part of my interior emotional architecture, that phrase. And no lie some times I wish he wasn't dead and hadn't been in enough pain to kill himself, just so I might've had the chance to, poo poo, I dunno, send him a letter or something at some point and let him know that hey, this 6 word sentence you wrote is basically something that's become part of the emotional apparatus of one guy on the other side of the world and say thank you for making me feel less alone.

Minimalist Program fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I wrote and had two novels published in my life and they sold like maybe a total of 2500 copies and aren't very good but I did it mostly because I read Infinite Jest and then all of his other work and it was the best experience ever and I was very thankful to the dude and wanted, hoped, to be able to give that same kind of experience to somebody else.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
The scene with Hal that stumbles upon the support group for grown men in sweaters hugging teddy bears and it ends with all of them chanting "MEET.THOSE.NEEDS" at his friends blubbering older brother.

quote:

The trimeter of the men's chant has reduced to a one-foot low-volume "Needs, Needs, Needs, Needs, Needs" as Kevin Bain slowly and hesitantly uncrosses his legs and rises from his orange chair, turning to face Hal and the motionless guy behind him, this Jim. Bain begins to move slowly toward them with the tortured steps of a mime miming walking against a tornadic gale. Hal's picturing himself doing a lazy backstroke in the Azores, spouting glassy water up out of his mouth in a cytological plume. He's leaning almost out of his chair, as far as possible out of Kevin Bain's line of transit, studying the brown suspension in the bottom of his glass. His prayer not to be recognized by a regressive Kevin Bain is the first really desperate and sincere prayer Hal can remember offering since he'd stopped wearing pajamas with feet in them.

"Kevin?" Harv calls softly from the front of the room. "Is it you moving actively toward Jim, or should it be the Infant inside you, the one with the needs?"

"Needs, Needs, Needs," the bearded men are chanting, some rhythmically raising their manicured fists in the air.

Bain's looking back and forth between Harv and Jim, chewing his finger indecisively.

"Is this how an Infant moves towards its needs, Kevin?" Harv says.

"Go for it, Kevin!" a full-bearded man calls out.

"Let the Infant out!"

"Let your Infant do the walking, Kev."

So Hal's most vivid full-color memory of the non-anti-Substance Meeting he drove fifty oversalivated clicks to by mistake will become that of his older brother's doubles partner's older brother down on all fours on a Dacronyl rug, crawling, hampered because one arm was holding his bear to his chest, so he sort of dipped and rose as he crawled on three limbs toward Hal and the needs-meeter behind him, Bain's knees leaving twin pale tracks in the carpet and his head up on a wobbly neck and looking up and past Hal, his face unspeakable.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The dude predicts Netflix too somewhere in the book

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he was wicked smart but had badly broke brain at the same time prrtty perverse

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Minimalist Program posted:

I wrote and had two novels published in my life and they sold like maybe a total of 2500 copies and aren't very good but I did it mostly because I read Infinite Jest and then all of his other work and it was the best experience ever and I was very thankful to the dude and wanted, hoped, to be able to give that same kind of experience to somebody else.

I read infinite jest and thought hey if this guy can publish a lovely book why can't I

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The dude predicts Netflix too somewhere in the book

Yeah, I remember reading that extended and very technical description of the rise of Interlace and it gradually dawning on me that, cartridge technology aside, this was all extremely similar to how DVRs and online streaming eventually formed modern media consumption. Orin's nostalgia for TV advertisement is strangely compelling.

I didn't really think Infinite Jest was that great when I read a little over a year ago, but more and more I feel like its cultural commentary really was timely and above all prescient.

Wooded Zacynthus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 29, 2017

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Minimalist Program posted:

The scene with Hal that stumbles upon the support group for grown men in sweaters hugging teddy bears and it ends with all of them chanting "MEET.THOSE.NEEDS" at his friends blubbering older brother.

It's great. There's so many perfect details in this book and I think about the opening scene in the admissions office all the time, and others in the book too, because my brain is also broken:3:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

crazy cloud posted:

It's great. There's so many perfect details in this book and I think about the opening scene in the admissions office all the time, and others in the book too, because my brain is also broken:3:

:same:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The book has some incredibly great digressions. The entire phone conversation where Hal is trimming his toenails and his brother is relaying to him some seriously disturbing ways to pick up women, "number 7 remains a no-miss proposal." I can see a goon trying this and posting about it.

And who can post that truly hosed up nestle quick cyanide story?

Also, it's literally a perfect description of Trump's impending America except the great concavity is going to be in Mexico.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

the great concavity

Convexity!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Minimalist Program, this is the Enfield Raw Sewage Commission, and quite frankly we've had enough poo poo out of you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in the biography it talks a bit about what a little poo poo DFW was to the people trying to help him edit Infinite Jest into a publishable work i actually felt sorry for them

i bet the ebonics part is one of the things DFW stetted

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

thathonkey posted:

in the biography it talks a bit about what a little poo poo DFW was to the people trying to help him edit Infinite Jest into a publishable work i actually felt sorry for them

I want to read about this- is it in Every Love Story is a Ghost Story?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yes to my knowledge that is the only biography. it's pretty good if you're a DFW fanboy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dfw really cribbed hard from pynchon to come up with his style too (especially in his first novel) but ended up doing it better

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
under 24 hrs til

YEAR OF TRUMP HOTEL PROPERTIES INTERNATIONAL, LLC

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

YEAR OF TRUMP HOTEL PROPERTIES INTERNATIONAL, LLC

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Year of Petroleum products from the Russian heartland.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Year of Petroleum products from the Russian heartland.

that's 2018

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
2019 will be like YEAR OF STICK SHARPENED ON ROCK TO HUNT IRRADIATED GOPHER MEAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The version I'm reading has no paragraph breaks so it's page after page of wall of texts

• Locked thread