Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

*In DFW voice, pronouncing it the correct way*

What a banal thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
*In DFW voice, pronouncing it the correct way*

ccccklkkktthjhhhhjhhhnhhlllkkkķkkkllllllkkcxcccvvhjklll

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
*slides on my knees*

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/consider-the-pothead-i-smoked-weed-out-of-infinite-jest

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Infinite Jest seems like it would be hard to finish reading, being infinite. I never got through the actual Neverending Story, so I'm citing that as proof.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A garbage book for sad sacks

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

A garbage book for sad sacks

You would think so from the title alone. A good joke is about being concise and delivered in a timely manner. An infinitely long joke is infinitely terrible. Did I just guess the ending? I honestly know nothing about the book.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

You would think so from the title alone. A good joke is about being concise and delivered in a timely manner. An infinitely long joke is infinitely terrible. Did I just guess the ending? I honestly know nothing about the book.

Looks like you just saved yourself $25.99

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Even worse! Some big drug man wakes up on cold sand and it's raining or something and maybe the tide is out? loving garbage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

it's from hamlet you dim philistine

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Can someone explain the ending because I didn't get it completely

Like... It's a dream but the real ending happened earlier maybe?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

if you mean the last scene, iirc it is gately's rock bottom. not a dream but it did happen "earlier"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

thathonkey posted:

if you mean the last scene, iirc it is gately's rock bottom. not a dream but it did happen "earlier"

gently caress I'm gonna have to read these loving 1500 pages again

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How did I miss this?

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I've started and stopped this and Cloud Atlas and Underworld a bunch of times. The only 1000+ page novel I ever got thru was 1Q84.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it is impossible to fully understand on first read because you have to remember parts from literally 1000 pages ago or go back and reread them but it's still fun on that initial pass just dont worry too much about the intricacies of the plot

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gently caress I'm gonna have to read these loving 1500 pages again

IIRC, and I'm smashed in an Irish pub, the scene with Gately and his unfortunate mate, "sunshine" and the tranny jackboot squad, was right before he signed into rehab.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Anti-Intellectual Moron posted:

I give the Infinite Jest bowl a 9.5/10. I would've given it a 10/10 if it was a book I actually read and enjoyed, and an 11/10 if the book wasn't written by a white dude.

She's right though, they put special psychoactive glue in copies of Between the World and Me, poo poo gets you wreeeeeecked

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Also I'm in love with the rise of the term "lit-bro" surrounding the DFW adherents because each clickbait thinkpiece about the supposed phenomenon just screams "I'm insanely self-conscious about not being smart enough for DFW's writings so I'm going to turn not reading him into some sort of moral good"

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I love DFW and I cried when he died and I have a tattoo based on his story Good Old Neon. Eat it hatin-rear end suckas

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

it is impossible to fully understand on first read because you have to remember parts from literally 1000 pages ago or go back and reread them but it's still fun on that initial pass just dont worry too much about the intricacies of the plot

Yeah lmao,literally read a 1200 page book at least twice dO IT it's really good n fun n cool

i mean it!!

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I bet DFW would have had a very wry longform about smartphones in him.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i wouldve liked to read it

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
there isn't really an ending it just stops but each plot thread is heading towards some kind of conclusion and you can pretty much figure it out or read it on the internet

the last chronological event is the first page of the book when they're interviewing the kid and he freaks out cause he ingested that drug on his toothbrush

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

thathonkey posted:

it's from hamlet you dim philistine

Just because you borrow a fragment of dialogue, written by a mediocre slam poetry theatre major (with more street cred than warranted) for your title, doesn't mean your book is going to be good.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ProperCoochie posted:

I love DFW and I cried when he died and I have a tattoo based on his story Good Old Neon. Eat it hatin-rear end suckas

Where is you're sad brains badge?

Oh, tattooed on your body

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Mr. Unlucky posted:

there isn't really an ending it just stops but each plot thread is heading towards some kind of conclusion and you can pretty much figure it out or read it on the internet

I feel pretty bad for Michael Pemulis. I mean yeah he was one of the novel's antichrists but getting tossed from ETA must've really hurt.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That scene with the tennis game/Risk board game owns

Some band made a video about it, but I forget who they are

I honestly would like to re-read it again, it's a fun book, motherfucker is smart but in a self aware loser style which resonates with me

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

That scene with the tennis game/Risk board game owns

Some band made a video about it, but I forget who they are

I honestly would like to re-read it again, it's a fun book, motherfucker is smart but in a self aware loser style which resonates with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
The eschatology bit was great but for the most part the book is mad overrated. I loled irl when DFW described Hal's underground smoke out room as 'unfenestrated'. The chapters written in first person perspective by writing the prose with an accent or some poo poo were terrible.

It's a decent book but hipsters have put it on a pedestal for gimmicky bullshit that doesn't make it any better. Like oh, there's hundreds of annotations! So what? Why the gently caress does that make it some sort of masterpiece?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Squashing Machine posted:

Also I'm in love with the rise of the term "lit-bro" surrounding the DFW adherents because each clickbait thinkpiece about the supposed phenomenon just screams "I'm insanely self-conscious about not being smart enough for DFW's writings so I'm going to turn not reading him into some sort of moral good"

which seems kinda silly because of all the problems with wallace's style being hard to read or understand isn't one of them

he wrote in a fairly plain and straightforward fashion for the most part. it's not like cormac mccarthy or something where half the time it just seems like he's loving with the reader

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

darth_pizza posted:

I've started and stopped this and Cloud Atlas and Underworld a bunch of times. The only 1000+ page novel I ever got thru was 1Q84.

Infinite Jest is better than Underworld, 1Q84 and Cloud Atlas. But the best 1000+ page novel is Shogun by James Clavell.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Under the dome was good

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
Only 1k+ page books I've ever read at infinite jest and gravity's rainbow and rainbow was way better. The actually story was much more of a senseless jumble in GR but the writing was so good that I liked it more. IJ had some cool and interesting ideas but was overall a pretty meh reading experience. Then again, I tend to appreciate writing style more than plot.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gravity rainbow is 760 gtfo scrub

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Illavick posted:

Only 1k+ page books I've ever read at infinite jest and gravity's rainbow and rainbow was way better. The actually story was much more of a senseless jumble in GR but the writing was so good that I liked it more. IJ had some cool and interesting ideas but was overall a pretty meh reading experience. Then again, I tend to appreciate writing style more than plot.

gravity's rainbow is only 760 pages you MORON

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
Oh yeah that's right. God I suck.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Squashing Machine posted:

DFW said he liked to gently caress pussy so everyone hate him now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I read the entire Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Each book is 1000+ pages :smug:

• Locked thread