Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a weird thing where mentioning COTA in the Indycar thread causes a sudden outbreak of mental illness and bad posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hey Fuzzy

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/820076721395249152

so uh, yeah.

I visited Toyota's museum/showcase thing in Tokyo last weekend and was saddened by how little there is on the AAR Toyota Eagles. There's surprisingly more than you'd expect about their IndyCar/IRL work, but they don't even have much on the Eagle Mk. III, which is probably the greatest single prototype in the history of US sportscar racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

hey Fuzzy

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/820076721395249152

so uh, yeah.

I visited Toyota's museum/showcase thing in Tokyo last weekend and was saddened by how little there is on the AAR Toyota Eagles. There's surprisingly more than you'd expect about their IndyCar/IRL work, but they don't even have much on the Eagle Mk. III, which is probably the greatest single prototype in the history of US sportscar racing.

eh, it's frustrating. I still dream of seeing the blue oval back on some IndyCars...

What Dan Gurney did for Toyota is kinda sadly overlooked by them lately.

They seem to be really invested in stock cars lately. I don't know if we could ever see them back in the series any time soon. I mean..maybe? They do have plants around Indiana and such, but I can't see them being interested either.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair the INDYCAR Toyota Eagles were :mediocre:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I remember when CotA was universally well-liked and then suddenly a switch flipped and everyone decided they hated it and had always hated.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

I remember when CotA was universally well-liked and then suddenly a switch flipped and everyone decided they hated it and had always hated.

to be fair I said from day 1 that it was rear end

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its a generic as all hell track with a big hill which I must admit gives it more 'character' than 99% of other new tracks but still lets not pretend its Monza

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

e: actually i've stated my thoughts on cota enough before and don't want to derail this thread further.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 14, 2017

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

pee pee doo doo it is a bad circuit

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cota is bad fia is bad tilke is bad texas is bad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

wicka posted:

F1 is bad so I always hated COTA. gently caress you, wicka.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

It's a good enough track but with clownshoes management.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Say it like you mean it, gang.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, basically what I'm hearing is that COTA is bad because F1 races on it and it has FIA certification.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's the laziest meme.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alain Post posted:

There's a weird thing where mentioning COTA in the Indycar thread causes a sudden outbreak of mental illness and bad posting.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I like CotA.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its a generic as all hell track with a big hill which I must admit gives it more 'character' than 99% of other new tracks but still lets not pretend its Monza

Monza sucks its an oval stuffed with chicanes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

COTA sucks because it's in a lovely state and it's way too wide and sweepy so it makes everything that's not F1 look slow and boring. Also those high speed aero corners kill passing. Also it's name is terrible.

Been on that COTA hate train since the day they announced it baybee

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like three of the five GPs held at COTA have been really good. It actually sucks for bikes but that's mainly because Marquez has the track down like the back of his hand for some reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

COTA sucks because it's in a lovely state and it's way too wide and sweepy so it makes everything that's not F1 look slow and boring. Also those high speed aero corners kill passing. Also it's name is terrible.

Been on that COTA hate train since the day they announced it baybee

You're the only one I believe.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CactusWeasle posted:

Monza sucks its an oval stuffed with chicanes

:gun:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
COTA is good because it's going to be the last ever new full service road course to open in the US.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Even if CotA were bad (it's not) it'd still be good for preventing F1 from trying to butcher the Glen and put a race there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ok both of the last 2 posts are pretty true

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you know it's bad because wicka likes it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Silly Season is back:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137732-indycar-aleshin-in-doubt-at-spm

quote:

An unexpected vacancy has opened up on the Verizon IndyCar Series grid. Although Russian phenom Mikhail Aleshin was listed as returning by the Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team in October, it would appear a familiar stumbling block with sponsorship has moved the Moscow native from a sure thing to a question mark for SPM in 2017.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fuuuuuck that noise

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
That would make sense why Sam Schmidt had a "Make America Great Again" hat hanging from the back of his chair...

Edit: He was a bad enough dude to run the DOOM livery for the Month of May

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit, Mikhail is the only good thing about Russia.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

When those sanctions roll back, wouldn't be shocked same day Mikhail will have the seat back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Edit: He was a bad enough dude to run the DOOM livery for the Month of May

And infinitely badder than that were all of his qualifying runs.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

When those sanctions roll back, wouldn't be shocked same day Mikhail will have the seat back.

bingo

also one of my favorite Indy 500 champs on "The Split" btw.

quote:

Speaking on stage at Autosport International in the Birmingham, UK, Villeneuve reminisced about his switch from Japanese Formula 3 racing to Formula Atlantic in America in 1993, and said initially he thought he might remain in U.S. open-wheel racing because it was booming.

However, he believes that Formula 1 leader Bernie Ecclestone played a role in Tony George splitting from CART Indy car to form the rival Indy Racing League. CART went bankrupt and its assets were bought by Champ Car, which finally reunified with the IRL to form IndyCar in 2008.

Villeneuve, who finished third in Atlantics in ’93, before graduating to Indy cars in ’94, and winning the Indy 500 and CART title in ’95, said: “At that point I was thinking it would be great to make it to F1, but perhaps the rest of my career would be in the States. Remember that’s when Nigel Mansell went to Indy car, and Indy car was starting to be bigger and bigger and bigger, and the viewership was starting to get super-strong.

“I guess that annoyed Bernie and I think he was very instrumental in separating IndyCar so they would have separate championships. That’s why Indy car racing died – because it was starting to damage Formula 1.

“But at that point in time in the mid-’90s, being in the States was quite good and the cars were super-quick. If you just look at the Indy 500, it was special. But obviously it would have been disappointing not to make it to Formula 1, because Formula 1 remains the specialty.”

Villeneuve admitted that the Indy 500, in which he finished second in 1994 and won in ’95, was something he only came to appreciate long afterward.

He said: “To be running at an average speed of 230mph and in traffic and in a place where you’re still allowed to risk your life, because it’s marginally safer than it was 20 years ago and have half a million people sitting in the grandstands… Back then it would be an event that lasted three weeks. You would build on it and the energy was incredible. It felt like a big gladiatorial ring from the Roman Empire.

“It was very special and it is the biggest, most important race in the world. Obviously an F1 championship is bigger, but as one single event, Indy is the biggest one.

“The Indy 500, I didn’t grow up with it; I grew up with Formula 1, so I didn’t really know what it represented. I didn’t think about it until I raced in Atlantics. To get a race where people come almost daily for three weeks, that takes a lot of passion. But when you’re in it, it’s just a race; OK, there’s a lot of people which is great, but it’s just a stepping-stone to F1.

“But when you’re out of it, you think first of all, ‘Wow, I survived it!’ which is good! Then you win it and you realize it’s still present and alive and it’s meaningful, even though that race was 22 years ago. That’s when you start to realize the meaning of what you’ve accomplished.”

Villeneuve said his victory at the Brickyard was also key in attracting Sir Frank Williams to invite him to test the Williams-Renault, which would lead to him signing for 1996.

“It all happened with winning the Indy 500,” said Villeneuve. “That was instrumental in getting me a chance to test because I guess it showed that psychologically I could handle the pressure.

“Speed-wise, you just have to find out. But the psychological aspect of a driver is very hard to understand because F1 is such a beast. You could be the best Formula 3 driver, best GP3 driver, best GP2 driver and in F1 you won’t cut it.

“Many drivers were heroes who won everything from karting to whatever formulas they did, and the day they get into F1 – useless! On the contrary, other drivers who were average, somehow in F1 they exploded, became amazing.

“That’s all about psychological make-up. And the Indy 500 is a good show of that, and I think that helped Frank [Williams] to take a risk on me.”

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ecclestone-instrumental-in-splitting-indycar-says-villeneuve-866081/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pigot is going to be confirmed in the #20 for the roads/streets, with a 3rd car for Indy.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137736-indycar-pigot-seals-ecr-road-street-deal

Also IndyCar really seems to be publicly wooing an additional engine manufacturer lately, I don't remember them doing this openly before. I imagine that this is really directed at a specific group.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/01/01-16-INDYCAR-new-OEMs

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 17, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Pigot is going to be confirmed in the #20 for the roads/streets, with a 3rd car for Indy.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137736-indycar-pigot-seals-ecr-road-street-deal

Also IndyCar really seems to be publicly wooing an additional engine manufacturer lately, I don't remember them doing this openly before. I imagine that this is really directed at a specific group.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/01/01-16-INDYCAR-new-OEMs

I just wonder who that group is.

IIRC Cosworth is indeed ready to go with an engine, they just need a badge for it.

I would think that if Toyota or Ford wanted back in they would design their own in house, correct? So Nissan Cosworth perhaps?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just wonder who that group is.

IIRC Cosworth is indeed ready to go with an engine, they just need a badge for it.

I would think that if Toyota or Ford wanted back in they would design their own in house, correct? So Nissan Cosworth perhaps?

you would think that's at least one of the subjects Kalkhoven was talking to Nissan about once upon a time. Shame it hasn't surfaced properly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Firestone reupped long term:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137748-indycar-multiyear-contract-extension-signed-with-firestone

Teams also are going to get more sets of blacks for the weekend (to encourage more practice), and a Friday practice specific set of reds to use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is Good News. The fact that the reds are a complete unknown until qualifying has never seemed like it makes any sense.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Would be neat, teams will throw on the reds for the tail end of the final practice session. It might even help people make better decisions for Indycar Fantasy League 2017: Goddammit Bentai Stop Picking Sato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some good news;

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137762-indycar-napa-returns-with-rossi-for-seven-races

• Locked thread