Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

My honest first thought was "how does an IndyCar driver afford all of those?"

TK is old enough to have driven during the $1m+ salary days.

Also Aleshin confirmed with SPM afterall: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138004-aleshin-returns-with-spm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

TK is old enough to have driven during the $1m+ salary days.

Also Aleshin confirmed with SPM afterall: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138004-aleshin-returns-with-spm

In before he loses another race in the most Russian dash cam sort of way

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/826949817704263680

owns. so goddamn much.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good looking car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
but his number is all wrong for it now

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

7 is taken but 11 is only reserved by KV so he could probably have it for the price of a Big Gulp.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Karam is going to run the 500 with DRR again, pencil him in for a crash while running in the top 10 about halfway through the race. Aka the Townsend Bell.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is Karam the new Buddy Lazier?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's an insult to Buddy Lazier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as he keeps making half-assed qualifying attempts, Buddy Lazier is still the Buddy Lazier.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

That's an insult to Buddy Lazier.

Uh, I mean late-era Buddy Lazier.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Uh, I mean late-era Buddy Lazier.

How late-era are we talking, here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQMxHvQKuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyY7IGyjWoM

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IndyCar uploaded the 1977 '500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtSsExedvE

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah some random guy on youtube had like this insanely high quality version of it up on youtube via a betamax video. He wasn't a race fan by any stretch, just used it as an example of the video quality. I asked if he wanted to post it and he declined saying "there were more complete versions already up"

This version is pretty incredible though. God bless IMS/ICS having all these gems to post up in addition to the likes of our own BMB5150, AShopher1, etc.

Also check out Darrell Waltrip giving the "500"/IMS props:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsszPSWeAg

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Karam is a worse Scheckter

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/827220669561786368

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/827346922432299008

Must've heard our thread calling him out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can't wait to get blocked by Sage after he wrecks on the start.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Meanwhile, in Boston...

Assault arrest warrant issued for Boston GP president

Tom Brady, you're next!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Also we are 1 week away from the Phoenix Open Test!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Saw three IndyCar haulers driving by while visiting family in Oklahoma this week.

A Sonoco/VERIZON INDYCAR one,, and two SSM-SMP ones (Mikhail, Hinch). Must be on their way to Phoenix to test!

Sorry for the lack of pictures but it was on the interstate and those things were flying.

On a non-related note. Why does Dallara dominate in regards to producing chassis for formula racing? Seriously. they're exclusive for Super Formula, GP 2, GP 3, World Seires by Renault, in addition to our beloved IndyCar/Indy Lights.

HAAS F! even uses them.

Is there a reason why they're so dominate in this regard? Why does Crapwagon hate them and think they produce inferior chassis to say Lola, Panoz, Reynard, Swift, etc?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think in terms of open wheel chassis makers it's either Dallara or Taatus at this point, and Taatus seems perfectly happy making lower level cars (they make every Formula 4 car except British F4 at this point) while Dallara gets the faster stuff. That's why Taatus make the USF and Pro Mazda chassis and Dallara gets Indy Lights and Indycar itself.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, it's basically a lack of competition thing. Dallara got to a point where they could make good chassis at a cost effective price and people used them. So other people used them. So Ralt and Reynard went under. So other people used Dallara....

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Karam is on the pre-team switch Joey Logano career trajectory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

Yeah, it's basically a lack of competition thing. Dallara got to a point where they could make good chassis at a cost effective price and people used them. So other people used them. So Ralt and Reynard went under. So other people used Dallara....

You can probably trace this back to the tobacco money leaving, and more spec consolidation. The money isn't there to support the costs of multiple shops doing very small runs of cars with revisions throughout each season. It's barely there to support something like the DW12, which is downright mass produced by comparison.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

lovely post, but what ever.

Didn't you guys mention something about Alfa Romero being a new mfg one day? I kinda scoffed at that concept, but they do appear to be re-entering the US market a bit more heavier now..so perhaps maybe?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

lovely post, but what ever.

Didn't you guys mention something about Alfa Romero being a new mfg one day? I kinda scoffed at that concept, but they do appear to be re-entering the US market a bit more heavier now..so perhaps maybe?

FCA is repositioning Chrysler as their mainstream US brand and pushing Alfa as their luxury marque, so it does make some sense.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

FCA is repositioning Chrysler as their mainstream US brand and pushing Alfa as their luxury marque, so it does make some sense.

Maybe we can get GM to add Buick back to the series to compete with Chevy, and party like it's 1991 or something.

At the very least? The Cascada would make a helluva Pacecar.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can probably trace this back to the tobacco money leaving, and more spec consolidation. The money isn't there to support the costs of multiple shops doing very small runs of cars with revisions throughout each season. It's barely there to support something like the DW12, which is downright mass produced by comparison.

Yeah that makes sense. Not so long ago you had 28 full time cars who (mostly) replaced the car every year vs now where there's 22 and I believe several 2012 tubs still on the grid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In order to be competitive (especially later in the CART era) it was pretty much necessary to use the latest equipment. You occasionally had year-old chassis competiting but only near the beginning of the season.

Another reason Dallara is the last man standing more or less is because they were smart financially and produced good work. Reynard and Lola both distracted themselves with other projects or had horrible financial management.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 6, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Major change in Push-to-Pass announced today!

IndyCar Rule Book posted:

Push-to-pass overtake assist in road and street races will be based on a maximum time allotment for each car instead of the number of uses. The events at the streets of St. Petersburg, Raceway at Belle Isle Park and Sonoma Raceway will have a total overtake time allotment of 150 seconds for each race, with the other road/street races set for 200 seconds. When a driver engages the overtake via a button on the steering wheel, it increases engine turbocharger boost pressure by 15 kilopascals (kPa) to 165 kPa - good for about 60 added horsepower. Once engaged, push-to-pass will run for a pre-established duration equivalent to approximately the time needed to drive the length of the track's main straightaway (15-20 seconds). Drivers will now have the ability to disengage an overtake activation midway through its use to save time for a later use. In addition, push-to-pass will not be available at the start of a race or for any restarts, with the exception of a restart commencing with two laps remaining in the race.

Oh man you're gonna see more passing with P2P this year, especially since drivers can cancel it to save time.

Also Phoenix & Gateway qualifying will be on the same day as the race

quote:

Qualifying at two oval tracks - Phoenix Raceway and Gateway Motorsports Park - will be held on the same day as those Saturday night races. The first day of those two-day event weekends will focus on a pair of practice sessions, the latter falling within the same evening time slot as the race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dang, that's a pretty big change. Going to be fun to see how it shakes out.

I'm kind of happy they're combining qualification and racing into the same day. Race day last year at Phoenix had huge gaps of nothing going on.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I'm kind of happy they're combining qualification and racing into the same day. Race day last year at Phoenix had huge gaps of nothing going on.

There will be even less going on this year since Indy Lights isn't returning to Phoenix. I'm not going back this year for the race, but I will be there this weekend for the open test :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As someone who already bought Friday tickets, that change might've been enough for me to just go Saturday :v: But it is a Good Change overall for sure.

On P2P, the more I think about it, the more I really like the restart rule. Because restarts are one of the best places to pass, it has become a given that everyone mashes the P2P button and burns one on a restart. This means the net effect of P2P on the action at the restart is zero, and the net effect on the rest of the race is one less P2P attempt.

Dudley posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Not so long ago you had 28 full time cars who (mostly) replaced the car every year vs now where there's 22 and I believe several 2012 tubs still on the grid.

To be fair, it's a bit chicken-and-egg here. The rules packages were written to discourage most of the changes that would've occurred year-to-year in the past. You're right in that there's definitely plenty of "vintage" DW12s running around. RHR's 2014 500 winner was still racing last year until Pocono, and I wouldn't be surprised if that tub first ran in 2012 or 2013.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

On P2P, the more I think about it, the more I really like the restart rule. Because restarts are one of the best places to pass, it has become a given that everyone mashes the P2P button and burns one on a restart. This means the net effect of P2P on the action at the restart is zero, and the net effect on the rest of the race is one less P2P attempt.

My thoughts too, also means that you won't see drivers burning one on a restart only to have it waved off or someone crashes right behind them. As a whole, the P2P change is win.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tony Stewart to return to the Indy 500...

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/02/07/tony-stewart-foundation-to-sponsor-car-in-indianapolis-500/

...as a car sponsor!

This is cool and good. Word on the street is it could be Brian Vickers running the 77 for it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Andretti's crash at Mid-Ohio '98 :whitewater:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Human Grand Prix posted:

Andretti's crash at Mid-Ohio '98 :whitewater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBiXLikp2SM

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tickets, hotel, car, and airfare booked for Phoenix in April. Stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got my Long Beach tix ordered a few weeks ago, and im thinking long and hard (much like a boner) about Indy or Phoenix tix as well

• Locked thread