Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

WindyMan posted:

Oval rain tires, dammit. Drivers go as fast as they dare.

Do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nNXHHqJDqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

International races would be welcome but I don't see Indycar crossing oceans again in any serious way for a while. Canada, Mexico? Sure. Brazil, Argentina? Yeah, great. Those are friendly timezones for the US audience so it doesn't harm the viewing figures or the sponsors' core market. Spending a massive pile of money flying everyone off to Motegi or Lausitzring and then wondering why nobody gives a gently caress about it is dumb though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

pee pee doo doo it is a bad circuit

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Is NASCAR actually stopping the racing for each of those segments or are they just letting them carry on racing and awarding points for the running positions at one third and two thirds distance?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

WindyMan posted:

It's basically like the all-star race. They race to the flag at the end of the segment, the winner gets a Playoff point and the top 10 get regular finishing points. Caution comes out, teams pit if they want, and then the race starts again. The idea is that NASCAR wants teams to race hard throughout the entire race. Instead of shortening the races to fix this (less time to air commercials is unacceptable I guess?) they're just putting more shorter "races" within the same race and incentivizing doing well in them with bonuses in the postseason.

It's not an altogether bad idea, it's just confusing as hell and is being communicated in an extremely condescending way IMO.

Right, so it's more or less the caution clock from the Trucks last year but every 33% race distance rather than every 20 minutes and with points awards thrown in too.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one that amazes me about the PPG Era of the series was the amount of :911: talent they were able to have during that time period.

If NASCAR continues to poo poo the bed for the next few years, Indycar could be heading back towards those days?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Considering the fact that a.) it still exists, and b.) it's actually providing drivers for Indy Lights again (Ryan Norman)..do you think we'll ever see the Atlantics become a feeder series for IMSA/ICS again?
:aaa: they're even racing at Indy :aaa:

http://atlanticchampionshipseries.com/schedule.html

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

BMB5150 posted:

Well poo poo I didn't think he'd jump to Indycar. Thought he'd get a manufacture P1 drive but hey I'll take it. And probably an answer on that SMP money not coming in thanks to Flynn.

I'd assumed this was just for fun and not a serious test for a seat this year. Am I wrong?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm all for more one off/partial schedule cars.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

Mark Plourde switches series.

I'm not sure if I'm spoiling :thejoke: here but http://markplourderacing.com/schedule

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

gret posted:

I think I'm the only IndyCar fan who likes the look of the rear bumpers. v:shobon:v

The rear bumpers look fine and anyone who wails about them is being a massive idiot.

"They look so ugggggllyyyyy!!!" Yeah, you know what else looks ugly? Indycars somersaulting into fences after front-rear-wheel contact. gently caress off.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder at what point, if any, a major race series just say gently caress It to broadcast TV altogether and sign the broadcast rights to someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime instead.

(I get that those two are more aimed at on-demand services than live broadcast, but that can always change)

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2017

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

WindyMan posted:

When I first read this, I thought they would be bringing back live in-race visor cam. It seems that this is just going to be the new 1080p/60fps visor cam that we've already been seeing from IndyCar during practice segments, just used as a precorded segment during the broadcast. Still, that'll be swell to see on TV.
I love that they refer to this as a new exciting innovation when we were getting TracyCam literally 15 years ago.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

RE: Qualifying.

Marco frustrates me.

I can see the guy has some semblance of talent, he seems to be able to run up front quite often. But he seems to lack some sort of extra gear to get a few more extra wins. Where as guys like Power, Dixon has that, and then some.

He's not horrible. He can get in a position to get a win unlike a lot of guys we'd deem on here to be "bad". I don't know what else you do with the guy other than try new strategies for him (ie make him pit at different times, etc).

I think the assumption is that Marco is coasting because he knows his ride is safe until Dad finally puts his foot down.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

A few of the full time Indycar drivers seem to run at Le Mans every year so there's nothing stopping Fernando doing the same thing.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

iospace posted:

But I need your help. I'm going to be running a competition on the 28th regarding all three races,

Gonna assume the other of the 'three races' on the 28th is the GTs at Snetterton? :britain:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

And Seb has been so good this year too. Ugh, drat it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm intrigued by the possibility of a short track race at IMS, but I do wonder where they would put it.

Bulldoze the golf course.

Actually do this regardless of whether you're building a short track or not.

And also every other golf course in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

It's a relief to see Carlin come in as a standalone team adding entries to the grid.

Alot of 'new team interested in joining Indycar' stories seem to end up as mergers into existing teams that do nothing for the car count.

• Locked thread