Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure what Ford has to gain from IndyCar, it's purely a branding exercise, and if "Le Mans winners" isn't selling cars then I doubt "IndyCar champions" will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Yeah i wouldnt bet on Ford coming back to indycar anytime soon, and with VW making GBS threads the bed, VAG's long interest is surely dead. Still pulling for a third manufacturer though, be it FCA, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Mercedes, or whatever

I think one of the FCA brands or Mercedes are most likely.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Maybe in a fantasy land where FCA actually has cash on hand.

FCA has quite a lot of cash, though? But if I were them I'd invest some of it in giving Dodge a logo/identity that doesn't make it look like a dollar store brand.

Christ, it's amazing how awful everything about Chrysler is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Marchionne has already been talking up Alfa in F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

lol what did you do to deserve that av?

Unfortunately you can't write posts that long.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Oval rain tires, dammit. Drivers go as fast as they dare.

If we could somehow figure out how to do oval racing in the wet without killing everyone...jesus, every non-oval series would just go bankrupt.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Get NASA to work fixing all of those problems.

Actually don't, they need every cent right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Nissan is up there. Remember that Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven visited them not too long ago. Nissan Cosworth could be a thing.

KVSH is done, so who knows about that.

FCA is also rumored to come back to NASCAR, so I wouldn't rule out Alfa.

I would be surprised to see Alfa in IndyCar since they are supposedly trying to grow that brand here.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seems like there are plenty of tracks in the US.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I remember when CotA was universally well-liked and then suddenly a switch flipped and everyone decided they hated it and had always hated.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Say it like you mean it, gang.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's the laziest meme.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

COTA sucks because it's in a lovely state and it's way too wide and sweepy so it makes everything that's not F1 look slow and boring. Also those high speed aero corners kill passing. Also it's name is terrible.

Been on that COTA hate train since the day they announced it baybee

You're the only one I believe.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Even if CotA were bad (it's not) it'd still be good for preventing F1 from trying to butcher the Glen and put a race there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He doesn't wanna do ovals, unfortunately.

He didn't want his cousin to get trapped in a fiery garage, but when the time came he did his loving duty.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It also doesn't help F1 that a majority of the races are at really bad times in the US. The USGP does get coverage on NBC and not NBCSN (or CNBC if they shove it to there for whatever reason).

Buuuuuuuut it's in the middle of football season :laffo:

e: I understand the decision to schedule the USGP in fall. Austin can be stupid hot in the summer, but when you're trying to crack the US market, doing it opposite the NFL is about as dumb as you can be.

The European rounds are all scheduled consecutively May-September, it's not quite as simple as just saying "don't race the USGP during football season."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It doesn't change the fact though that if you want to break into the US market, doing it when everyone is watching (well, most everyone) one of two channels and it's not the one you're on? Congrats, you're doing it wrong.

Buddy, it's simply asinine to suggest they go out and rearrange literally the entire loving schedule.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dynamite Dog posted:

They go to Canada after Monaco

They've raced in Montreal that week in June for over 30 years. This isn't just cutting and pasting. It's a teensy weensy bit more involved than "the NFL is important."

WindyMan posted:

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

Kinda the same as how IndyCar was bigger back when Marlboro was pouring money into the sport. An American brand in F1 would mean that brand spending heavily to advertise their involvement in the sport.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lmao, guy who doesn't understand anything about F1 and yet is suggesting changes he doesn't comprehend, real deserved smug face

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

It's really hard to understate how special Ford was as a company. It was truly the first global company. Before the war the majority of private cars in Germany and Japan were Fords, they had large scale factories in both countries. They got supremely hosed over by WWII taking away their factories and it's really no coincidence that Germany and Japan emerged as strong passenger vehicle manufacturers. Americans think of Ford as a domestic make but Ford = car worldwide for a long time.

Whoa, I did not know any of this. Fascinating.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Posting while bored might get you a custom av, be warned fam.

Who the heck spends money on a custom title for another poster and makes it ALL TEXT?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

You're just asking for somebody to buy you an all-text custom title.

Live your life, gret. No one else is gonna do it for you.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Juicy Juice posted:

Playoffs for a sport where you compete against everyone else at the same time will never make sense to me. That goes for golf and racing (except drag racing, of course).

Yeah, playoffs make great sense in sports like the NFL, where attempting a double round-robin would literally kill most of the players before the season ended. Not so much in racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The fact that Honda Japan has little-to-no involvement in their IndyCar program always puzzled me a bit, considering they'd be almost nothing as a road car manufacturer without the US market.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

lovely post, but what ever.

Didn't you guys mention something about Alfa Romero being a new mfg one day? I kinda scoffed at that concept, but they do appear to be re-entering the US market a bit more heavier now..so perhaps maybe?

FCA is repositioning Chrysler as their mainstream US brand and pushing Alfa as their luxury marque, so it does make some sense.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm seriously thinking about Indy but it's like two weeks after my sister graduates from college and I don't know that I want to spend that much of May in Indiana.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody have a steering wheel diagram or know what he's fiddling with at the start of the clip?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If there's not 101 bottles in there I'm gonna be upset.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god, did he retire from driving? What happened to Sheri?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

The lone reasoning any of these people have any more is pretty much this:

-The Hulman family still funds it thus it's bad. (Not like they ever funded or ran the thing before. Nope! 1955-1978 never happened)
-"DULLARAH IS A BAD CHASSIS. IT'S NOT LIKE PANOZ, LOLA OR REYNARD"

I mean I'm more of a fan of Panoz, Lola or Reynard as chassis's too...but Dallara isn't..horrible? I don't know. Like Super Formula, GP2/GP3 and pretty much every formula series on the planet uses them.

Dallara build's Haas' F1 car, too, and it's pretty solid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There aren't many open-wheel cars around these days that legitimately look good. I have a hard time complaining about the DW12 specifically.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836662476573827073

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836663118251999232

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

I'd love to see IndyCar just sell the broadcast rights to NBC and do streaming in-house.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The reasons behind their failure are pretty clear but it's still so totally bizarre watching them implode seemingly overnight. It's like there was never a decline, just POOF all argument shows and losing out on major rights deals.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone needs to think long-term and understand they are gutting their potential audience by refusing to have native streaming services. F1 makes more money by selling their rights to Sky, for instance, but viewership has plummeted.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My boss's sister works for GE and I can also confirm they are the worst company.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Both of those things are actually bad because they will be inserted into the broadcast while actual racing is going on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Hmm there is some racing happening lets now take 5 minutes to look at a graph that shows the likelyhood of Marco Andretti winning this race

|
|
|
|_______________________________________________________

And now for a commercial break!

*misses 3 passes for the lead*

*returns from commercial break to 30 seconds of video of Kanaan wearing a tuxedo in a warehouse*

That poo poo is my #1 loving pet peeve about American racing broadcasts, every time they cut back from commercial they show some dumb footage THAT THEY HAD TO PAY TO CREATE instead of just returning straight to the racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Who does the Chevy aerokit? That front wing is really detailed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

As predicted, "ESPN Race Strategist" is a terrible addition to the broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Maybe now that Bernie is out FOM will play nice and we get a spring race at COTAS.

A boy can dream.

Circuit Of Time And Space?

• Locked thread