Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SmackForum kind of owned because IIRC it was basically impossible to get banned from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is going off second and third-hand knowledge from years ago but IIRC there was some drama with the owners of Crapwagon about pocketing money that was used for some donation drive, hence offsite Crapwagon forums.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best part of the driver loyalty thing was that they loved the awful pay drivers that came in in the last years of CCWS. As if Tristan Gommendy, Dan Clarke, and Ryan Dalziel all had million dollar offers from Penske but chose REAL RACING instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness Will Power kind of did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2003-2011 IRL cars were absolutely horrible and probably the #1 reason I simply could not get into the series back then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All the Penske fortune went to the Penske V8 Supercar team this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if it was the problem, but CART introduced traction control in 2002, for god knows why.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's no way it's VW proper, I have to think they'll keep that brand out of racing for like a decade or more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Running old cars was generally more for Indy 500-only teams iirc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Racing is at its best when it's a shitshow for clowns imo

This is why the Macau Grand Prix is the greatest event in all of motorsport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Steve Park Pennzoil car was the best/most memorable one imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Races of attrition own.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best Michigan CART race was that 1994 one where so many people blew up that Scott Goodyear won in the Kenny Bernstein car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked me some NASCAR on FOX right up until 2006-2007ish. Actually even when it got bad it usually wasn't as bad as post-2007 NASCAR on ESPN.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss Rubens in Indycar. I actually thought he didn't do badly at all all things considered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's Jan Heylen doing these days anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
0 titles for awful driver Helio Castroneves. Lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rubens wasn't bad at all in Indycar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I remember him putting in some good runs especially at the road courses in the second half of the year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good race btw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
0 championships. Lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

That's good news for HSV, they've been godawful this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I honestly don't like Portland (1997 aside it always was one of the most boring races of the year) but I'll be glad to have a race in the PNW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh yeah that was cool, GDF going "gently caress your fuel saving" and blitzing the field on two stops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pacific Raceways!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC there's a road course there that goes through the woods on the side of the drag strip, hideously unsafe but drag strip road courses are always fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol that rear end looks like from a 1984 indycar or some poo poo, that kicks rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

What even was the point of thoe atrocious bumpers? For ovals?

I think the idea was to reduce the risk of cars flipping over after launching over a rear wheel but it didn't work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Would hate to watch an Indy 500 without Tristian Gommendy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have no opinions about Danica Patrick. Her career probably lasted as long as it did due to her considerable backing but wasn't she just some throwaway below average driver?

Her career basically happened because she fluked a P2 at the Formula Ford Festival one year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

She showed promise in Formula Atlantics and was the first woman I can think of who ran Indy without poo poo equipment.

Dick Simon Racing ran Lyn St. James and was a solid mid-pack CART team.

Also wasn't Janet Guthrie's Texaco-backed ride fairly decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMO they should have the crowd do it alone this year.

• Locked thread