Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I hate that Josef's move is gonna have me cheering for a Penske driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

The UK series is now "MSA Formula" though technically they still use Ford engines

It's actually now British Formula 4, got renamed after Jonathan Palmer got British Formula 3 going again and decided he wanted F4 as well for the BTCC support bill since the MSA Formula (Powered by EcoBoost) cars were F4 spec anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Can't wait to get blocked by Sage after he wrecks on the start.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think in terms of open wheel chassis makers it's either Dallara or Taatus at this point, and Taatus seems perfectly happy making lower level cars (they make every Formula 4 car except British F4 at this point) while Dallara gets the faster stuff. That's why Taatus make the USF and Pro Mazda chassis and Dallara gets Indy Lights and Indycar itself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

Ok, I'll rephrase my question.

I am interested in participating in Fantasy Indycar with the fine residents of this thread. I have played fantasy football a lot but never any other fantasy sports. Please could someone give me a quick run down on how fantasy racing works, rules, points, etc? And where do I sign up?

You pick 4 drivers for each race with a $100 salary cap. Driver value is I think determined by championship position and recent form. Then you score the same points for each driver's finishing position that they earn in the championship. And Indy you get to pick 10 drivers with a $500 cap. There's also a average speed predictor for every race that acts as a tiebreaker. There'll presumably be signup links posted here when the new fantasy season starts but it all runs from the Indycar website. Knowing nothing about Indycar last year I finished 3rd with a policy of always picking Josef Newgarden and Max Chilton.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 25, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

The lone reasoning any of these people have any more is pretty much this:

-The Hulman family still funds it thus it's bad. (Not like they ever funded or ran the thing before. Nope! 1955-1978 never happened)
-"DULLARAH IS A BAD CHASSIS. IT'S NOT LIKE PANOZ, LOLA OR REYNARD"

I mean I'm more of a fan of Panoz, Lola or Reynard as chassis's too...but Dallara isn't..horrible? I don't know. Like Super Formula, GP2/GP3 and pretty much every formula series on the planet uses them.

The DW12 is the poster child for everyone who rants constantly about how ugly Dallara's cars are, which has never made sense to me as someone who thinks the DW12 looks cool and unlike any other current open wheel car. But then I like the shark fins on the new F1 cars so maybe I don't get what people think a good looking car is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The Deltawing was a Panoz project I believe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm excited as I always am for opening day for another series, but Indy feels like it's gonna have a killer season if the Honda pace is actually there and it's not the entire Chevy set sandbagging.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kimball getting started early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Actually looking at the replay it looks like Kimball just got crushed against the wall because Rahal wasn't looking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hinch leading. This is good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Penske being rear end this weekend makes me happy as much as I like Josef.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FIRE THAT AIR GUN

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watching the entire field pass a Penske is pretty fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And Power gets DQ'd for going too slow on track. This is going to be a good season.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

WifeCam probability at 14% currently

WifeCam confirmed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Do the Hondas also have better mileage now in addition to power?

Seems like it, judging from how Seb's fuel number went from 4.0 to below 2 it seems like they don't lose as much pace as the Chevy's when fuel saving either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah and because Long Beach has IMSA as well there's really not much you can do to change its date.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Helter Skelter
- Wonderhill
- Edge of The Earth
- Out of Blue
- Phantomile
- Brightest Night
- Heaven and Hell
- Shooting Hoops

1 oval isn't gonna cut it if you listen to some fans.

(actually don't think shooting hoops is an oval, been a while)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sebring is the only other major US circuit I can think of that doesn't have an Indycar date aside from the ones you mentioned. Though I don't see any way a top level open wheeler could even hope to go down Sebring's main straight. Then there's Lime Rock but Lime Rock's locals are even worse than Laguna's. Really I think Road Atlanta is the most likely if they do go looking for another road course.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From what might be the best thing Penske's ever done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Indycar teams test at Sebring, iirc.

But only the club layout, which doesn't include the super bumpy main straight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Other Series is in Austrailia this week, so have the 2008 Surfer's Paradise race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They do Haas' F1 stuff these days, which is large parts Ferrari in terms of engine and some other innards but I don't think they directly work with Ferrari.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Dallara also wiped out everyone in the lower formula categories.

Except Formula 4 where Taatus still has most of the chassis, hence Taatus doing USF-2000 and Pro Mazda since they're basically Formula 4 chassis now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ed's only bringing 2 cars to Indy, also the wording of this tweet made me laugh.
https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/848926640142811136

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

#Shirts4Sage

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

What was the tweet

It was Sage posing shirtless showing off his ripped body saying he was ready for Long Beach.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He likes to do it into the wall I heard.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

If by wrecked it, you mean "made it 20 seconds, then blamed somebody else for the DNF", then yes.

I don't know, most drivers seem to consider it a success if they finish but the other guy doesn't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I picked Marco and Rossi and also Helio over Seabass so gently caress me I guess.

Still picked Hinch though so it wasn't a complete wash.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

McLaren kick out all the old faithful and suddenly are letting their lead driver go run Indy and talking about a works Indycar program. Seems like a good plan, assuming they're not just saying poo poo to get some more of that sweet FIA money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think I remember hearing once that a full season of Indycar is about 1/10th the cost of a full F1 season so I think it might actually be cheaper than GP2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alonso's gonna be at Barber to start the hype train rolling.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure the current wide F1 cars wouldn't fit round the LB hairpin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given Nando's entire reason for doing the 500 is that he wants the Triple Crown I don't see him going off full time to WEC until he's gotten the 500 win.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Verizon Indycar Series 2017: Nando de Mayo

Yep.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alonso is just leaning on the pit wall and he is loving grinning. This is the happiest I've seen him in ages.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the 2 old dudes talking about setup poo poo. This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

I'm watching Rossi warm up to throw the first pitch at the Cubs game. I wonder if there are 100 other people here who know who he is.

Go ask every 13 year old you can find.

• Locked thread