Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

KingShibby posted:

Besides the two of us I don't think any others are here

NW Vista deck after action report:

The race was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Are there any legit sources for streaming IndyCar races that don't include me signing up for cable TV or something?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

A friend of mine who works near IMS was trying to get home last night, but couldn't leave on account of the race letting out at 9ish. I commented that there was a rain delay and some red flags so as to explain. Then people started coming out of the woodwork to complain about NASCAR being a shitshow league for clowns, unlike their pure and good Indycar, which has a proud, rich history of blah blah blah

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

wicka posted:

I just hope whatever deal they sign includes some kind of streaming package that isn't tied to a cable subscription.

This.

I've just started really getting into Indycar this year, and other than when I buy a ticket and attend a race, the only other way I watch is when Indycar puts the race up on their YouTube channel. I'm never gonna buy into cable or any other bloated garbage package, so the only way they're getting more out of me is if they set up a streaming service as you've said. Meanwhile, I'm just sittin here with my money waiting for that to happen. I brought this up a few times to (older) family members who are race fans, and they think I'm out of my mind and that if Indycar set up such a thing it would be a disaster and nobody would watch anymore. I'm pretty sure they're all just willfully ignorant of how easy streaming stuff can be, and don't want to see anything come up, even as an extra option, to supplant the way they've been tuning in for decades.

I live in Indianapolis, so I go to the Grand Prix and the 500 here of course, and added Gateway Motorsports Park to the roster this year for the Bommarito 500. Next year I may attend even more.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

There are plenty of places in Indy that are packed with good food, craft beer/cocktails, and fun stuff to do. Other than Main St. Speedway there's Fountain Square, Irvington, Massachusetts Ave., Broad Ripple, and that's just the more popular concentrated areas. There are a lot of places around town hidden away that are worth checking out. I mean, I'm not that big of a proponent of city livin, but if your complaint about Indy is that it sucks except for that one halfway developed street that has some beer and sandwiches, you don't know what you're talking about.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Just got my confirmation from Gateway for the Bommarito 500 next year, upgraded my seats to be much higher up in the stands by the finish line for the better view, oh yeahhh.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

(I work within walking distance of theirs and Ganassi's shops).

devmd01 posted:

Me too, wanna grab lunch sometime?

poo poo fellas, just this past June I left my job at Aearo Technologies, just up the street from AA and CGR on 79th. I hear Wabash Brewing up on 79th expanded a little while ago. They made some decent beer.

:allears:

Small world.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/news-multimedia/news/2017/12/26/no-5-cornelison-brings-house-down-2017

Alleged Writer, Paul Kelly posted:

Then Cornelison opened his mouth to sing. All of us on the front row of the Media Center stopped work almost immediately and looked at each other, eyes staring and mouths agape. Then we instinctively rushed from our laptops to the outside balcony adjacent to our workspace to hear the rest of the song without glass muffling the sweet sounds.

We all knew something special was happening.

Does anybody really give a poo poo? Some traditions just won't die I guess.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Yes, people care about Back Home Again. Including me. It's the only pre-race tradition I care about tbh.

I suppose I've always associated it with Jim Nabors, rather than a pre race tradition that IMS would hold onto in his absence, and that after he was gone it would go by the wayside. A gushing article about his replacement doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I thought Mug n Bun was okay. There does seem to be a disproportionate number of shithole diners outside of Indy that locals swear by, but are total garbage. Indy itself is spoiled for good food and drink of all kinds, and since I spend all my time eating or getting drunk this city is alright by me.

• Locked thread