Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I'm gonna make a bold rear end prediction: a third engine manufacturer is announced before the season ends (this is going to be completely wrong, but i wanna be positive)

Also less bold rear end prediction, the new car bodywork will look Good™

It'll be Ford and Ganassi if it's the third IMO.

In the same vain that Chevy needed Roger? Ford would need a similar type of figure to push them in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My only real evidence is tweeting at Chip and Hull, then them both "liking" a tweet about it. The other point was Viking's discussion with the guy about their efforts with Le Mans, why the pulled out of NHRA, etc. ("We want to win Le Mans first. That's our goal. Then we'll come back to do other things").

I think Honda has an "anchor" team with Andretti, so the concern about them is pretty much minimized. They get to be associated with THE name in IndyCar racing along with a decent track record of success (2005, 2007, 2014, and 2016 Indy 500 Champs.)

Chevy is in the sport because of Penske, and that guaranteed level of success.

I think Ganassi could potentially be the third anchor team, and for Ford he has already delivered a great deal of success to them. It's all a matter of him being able to sell them on the idea, and I think like Roger? He could very much be able to do that.

I'd also like to see Toyota and Nissan in the sport. But I'm struggling to see where Toyota's path to come back could be. I mean they have invested so much in Cup, and various devolopment series within Cup. When they were making their way into Indycar? they were investing in IMSA and the Atlantics. They don't quite have that right now stateside..\

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

this is a bit off topic but goddamn Fuzzy post in C-SPAM instead

never go full D&D

I don't get that place now.

Pre-election everyone was generally on the same page.

Post-election? Overtaken by Hillary worshippers. it's bizarre. They're really big fans of painting everyone that doesn't agree with them with the same lovely brush. It's getting sad that I've had more constructive political conversations with people on the other side of the aisle as of late..

(sorry to get political. I really don't give a poo poo who anyone voted for in here. SASCAR, IndieCar goons are awesome.)

harperdc posted:

I don't think Mercedes is doing it either, if anything they'll put more into IMSA (as in, support Penske in DPi in 2018). I still think if FCA wants to establish Alfa they do so with IndyCar, but that's just me.

It might be Toyota if they want bang-for-buck, but that goes along with WEC (which I know is an engineering project) and WRC (unsure). Wonder how their NASCAR adventure has been helping them, I feel like they perhaps had better brand recognition in the mid-1990s because back then everything was white/orange/red and TOYOTA all over.

all said I'm excited still for IndyCar and if anybody has any tips on finding the 1:64 diecasts I'm all ears.

Toyota post-IMSA, Off Road racing seems to be the story of entering a series just as it's entering it's downward spiral.

They timed going to CART just as the "Split" happened. With cup? they went right as that bubble was popping.

I do think that Toyota's ads for Cup kinda miss the mark often. The CART ads were kinda fun, highlighted the technological aspect of their involvment in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZwQloe2XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKmt1oHu30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtb-i46bM7s

Versus the Cup ads which are....these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8GNaVgQgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KZp0MlfPNk

e: Bonus? The GOAT on Toyota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz0oneL0OE

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 1, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

seriously post in C-SPAM the Liberal Tears thread is funny as gently caress

and this is my last derail post on that subject

I'll have to join ya in there sometime. Tell me about it more in the next synchtube we're in together bud.

(and you had better bring some short track racing for us to watch).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

PJ Jones is a huge dumbass though.

Met him at Legends Day! Awesome guy!

Came close to meeting his dad, but the blue shirts [interns] were acting like loving dicks. ("HE'S GOT. TO. GO. HE DOESN'T HAVE TIME FOR YOU FANS!" Bullshit. Parnelli doesn't roll like that). I always felt lovely that I didn't know a lot of the 70's guys there..but they had a who's who of former IRL dudes who were really friendly.

Shoutout to my one friend online for knowing about Bentley Warren though. I impressed him with the fact I knew about his short track career. (trying to ping Viking in here).

e: Go to loving Legends Day btw. They run all the old cars on track and it's awesome. Go. Go. Go. Go.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPDeqGsBCTP/

'bout drat time we had a Mexican driver back in the sport.

One of the biggest mistakes the sport did was pulling out of the Mexican and Canadian markets in that regard.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://autoweek.com/article/indycar...m_medium=social

3rd or 4th engine manufacturer in the sport.

strap the gently caress in boys.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep pondering who the "1 or 2 engine manufacturers" are going to be per that one article I found from autoweek.

Ford
Nissan
Audi/Porsche/Volkswagen
Toyota
Dodge/Fiat
Mazda

Gotta be out of that pool. I'd love for it to be Ford and Toyota to be honest, though beggars cannot be choosers. (Ford because I think they BELONG in the sport, and Toyota because they seem to keen to throw money at advertising races.).

I imagine it has to be Ford with Ganassi, and -x- with SSM perhaps? I don't know whom else would have the abilities to anchor an OEM. (I think Andretti/Honda will be married for a long time. Same with Chevy/Penske.)

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 12, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Nissan is up there. Remember that Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven visited them not too long ago. Nissan Cosworth could be a thing.

KVSH is done, so who knows about that.

FCA is also rumored to come back to NASCAR, so I wouldn't rule out Alfa.

I think the key would be tying whomever would be the third mfg to Ganassi IMO, which I still feel Chip could sell them on instant success in that regard. Which I still feel is Ford. ("My team's main competitor is Roger Penske, who's Team Chevy's flagship in our sport. I've won 11 titles in our sport. I have 4 Indy 500 wins. You guys will have the best driver in the series helping you succeed, and oh yeah, I've won you Le Mans, IMSA titles, and various other big sports car events").

I realize that sounds odd but remember...it was indeed Roger Penske that lured Chevy back to the sport. You need a figure like that to lure someone else "Big" like that back in.

That could be wishful thinking, but I still don't feel it's outside of the realm of possibility.

FCA seems to be a wildcard to me.

Nissan sounds likely. I'm debating about Toyota though...usually before they make the jump they've started to already "invest" in various programs TRD hasn't really done so on the American side of things where they'd have technology applicable to IndyCar. (Remember...they were involved in IMSA and The Atlantic Series pre-CART/IRL).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I thinking getting a 2nd race in Canada (in the west. Ideally Vancouver, but that ain't happening, so someplace in Alberta) would be ideal. I'd really like to see IndyCar try to have a program to encourage Canadian and Mexican involvement in the sport. I think Mexico would embrace the series quite a bit if you could find a couple of guys.

It feels like Australia and Japan are the only two markets you could continue to go back to with a decent amount of ROI. I feel if you're going to go outside of North America? that's your best bet.

My dumb fantasy is an XFS/VICS double header at Rockingham and Eurospeedway as an excuse to introduce those markets to American style oval racing. But that's asking a lot.

harperdc posted:

IndyCar's leadership wants to get to an international round or two and have that be January/February before the US season kicks off, and sounds like they want it to happen for 2018. "Wants to" turning into "will" turning into "a successful event" is a different matter entirely though. If IndyCar returned to Japan, I would imagine it would only race the Motegi road course, which is sad (the oval was damaged in the 2011 earthquake and to my knowledge hasn't been repaired sufficiently for racing, but it hardly has cracks and massive issues at the moment).

and yeah Fuzzy I hear you but Penske has deeper, longer-rooted ties to Chevy than Ganassi has with Ford. The Chevy-Ilmors in the '80s were essentially a Penske project, too, and that's just IndyCar. Ganassi going all Ford would be great, I would love to see them back, but no clue if it will.

who knows with Nissan USA racing programs, too. they're slacking on GT3 programs compared with other Nissan markets IMO, the tie-up with ESM in IMSA isn't a full factory effort, and I'm not 100 percent sure what they'd get out of Indy at the moment.

I can kinda see Ford getting something out of IndyCar/"The 500" in theory. considering the whole Chevy rivarly thing, and the domestic history behind the brand.

I still feel Toyota would do well in investing a prototype in IMSA and running an IndyCar program. It feels like NASCAR's base has rejected Toyota quite a bit, and the 'burb dwellers they were trying to reach haven't really been around the sport since 2008 or so. I really feel that while Indy's and IMSA's audience is smaller? They would be more in line with the type of people more like to buy a Toyota.

(This being said? This is NOT a statement saying they should pull out of Cup. I love the fact that they troll idiots who get pissed at the site of them winning. Just feel it would be cool to see them in IMSA/Indy again).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

Seems like there are plenty of tracks in the US.

Milwaukee
Portland
Cleveland
Laguna Seca
Fontana
Michigan
Homestead
Kentucky
Chicagoland
Circuit of the America's

I think would be far better to focus on atm.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

hey Fuzzy

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/820076721395249152

so uh, yeah.

I visited Toyota's museum/showcase thing in Tokyo last weekend and was saddened by how little there is on the AAR Toyota Eagles. There's surprisingly more than you'd expect about their IndyCar/IRL work, but they don't even have much on the Eagle Mk. III, which is probably the greatest single prototype in the history of US sportscar racing.

eh, it's frustrating. I still dream of seeing the blue oval back on some IndyCars...

What Dan Gurney did for Toyota is kinda sadly overlooked by them lately.

They seem to be really invested in stock cars lately. I don't know if we could ever see them back in the series any time soon. I mean..maybe? They do have plants around Indiana and such, but I can't see them being interested either.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

When those sanctions roll back, wouldn't be shocked same day Mikhail will have the seat back.

bingo

also one of my favorite Indy 500 champs on "The Split" btw.

quote:

Speaking on stage at Autosport International in the Birmingham, UK, Villeneuve reminisced about his switch from Japanese Formula 3 racing to Formula Atlantic in America in 1993, and said initially he thought he might remain in U.S. open-wheel racing because it was booming.

However, he believes that Formula 1 leader Bernie Ecclestone played a role in Tony George splitting from CART Indy car to form the rival Indy Racing League. CART went bankrupt and its assets were bought by Champ Car, which finally reunified with the IRL to form IndyCar in 2008.

Villeneuve, who finished third in Atlantics in ’93, before graduating to Indy cars in ’94, and winning the Indy 500 and CART title in ’95, said: “At that point I was thinking it would be great to make it to F1, but perhaps the rest of my career would be in the States. Remember that’s when Nigel Mansell went to Indy car, and Indy car was starting to be bigger and bigger and bigger, and the viewership was starting to get super-strong.

“I guess that annoyed Bernie and I think he was very instrumental in separating IndyCar so they would have separate championships. That’s why Indy car racing died – because it was starting to damage Formula 1.

“But at that point in time in the mid-’90s, being in the States was quite good and the cars were super-quick. If you just look at the Indy 500, it was special. But obviously it would have been disappointing not to make it to Formula 1, because Formula 1 remains the specialty.”

Villeneuve admitted that the Indy 500, in which he finished second in 1994 and won in ’95, was something he only came to appreciate long afterward.

He said: “To be running at an average speed of 230mph and in traffic and in a place where you’re still allowed to risk your life, because it’s marginally safer than it was 20 years ago and have half a million people sitting in the grandstands… Back then it would be an event that lasted three weeks. You would build on it and the energy was incredible. It felt like a big gladiatorial ring from the Roman Empire.

“It was very special and it is the biggest, most important race in the world. Obviously an F1 championship is bigger, but as one single event, Indy is the biggest one.

“The Indy 500, I didn’t grow up with it; I grew up with Formula 1, so I didn’t really know what it represented. I didn’t think about it until I raced in Atlantics. To get a race where people come almost daily for three weeks, that takes a lot of passion. But when you’re in it, it’s just a race; OK, there’s a lot of people which is great, but it’s just a stepping-stone to F1.

“But when you’re out of it, you think first of all, ‘Wow, I survived it!’ which is good! Then you win it and you realize it’s still present and alive and it’s meaningful, even though that race was 22 years ago. That’s when you start to realize the meaning of what you’ve accomplished.”

Villeneuve said his victory at the Brickyard was also key in attracting Sir Frank Williams to invite him to test the Williams-Renault, which would lead to him signing for 1996.

“It all happened with winning the Indy 500,” said Villeneuve. “That was instrumental in getting me a chance to test because I guess it showed that psychologically I could handle the pressure.

“Speed-wise, you just have to find out. But the psychological aspect of a driver is very hard to understand because F1 is such a beast. You could be the best Formula 3 driver, best GP3 driver, best GP2 driver and in F1 you won’t cut it.

“Many drivers were heroes who won everything from karting to whatever formulas they did, and the day they get into F1 – useless! On the contrary, other drivers who were average, somehow in F1 they exploded, became amazing.

“That’s all about psychological make-up. And the Indy 500 is a good show of that, and I think that helped Frank [Williams] to take a risk on me.”

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ecclestone-instrumental-in-splitting-indycar-says-villeneuve-866081/

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Pigot is going to be confirmed in the #20 for the roads/streets, with a 3rd car for Indy.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137736-indycar-pigot-seals-ecr-road-street-deal

Also IndyCar really seems to be publicly wooing an additional engine manufacturer lately, I don't remember them doing this openly before. I imagine that this is really directed at a specific group.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/01/01-16-INDYCAR-new-OEMs

I just wonder who that group is.

IIRC Cosworth is indeed ready to go with an engine, they just need a badge for it.

I would think that if Toyota or Ford wanted back in they would design their own in house, correct? So Nissan Cosworth perhaps?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm for KVSH surviving, so this is a good move if it goes to plan.

Also the hilarity of seeing Pastor in an IndyCar might be worth seeing things.

Also why does Trackforum/Crapwagon believe that CART was starting to get on "equal" footing with F1 during the mid 90's? Every F1 fan (from outside of the US) I've ran into has said the opposite. I can maybe see pockets of growth within Japan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and a few South American countries. But the concept of some guy who followed Senna, Prost and Mansell turning the TV to watch the series run at Elkhart Lake on premium cable seems a bit odd.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Mansell moving to CART had a huge effect and the sport got a lot of attention in the U.K.

That's what I'm honestly trying to figure out.

Were F1 fans following him over there or were they kinda shrugging their shoulders?

harperdc posted:

Senna started making eyes had a lovely contract with McLaren and Marlboro whispered "Penske" to him to aim towards the US, Mansell threw his toys out of the peak with legendary man-manager Frank Williams, and there was coincidentally a good generation of IndyCar happening at the same time.

I don't think it was *that* serious a threat, but considering what Max and Bernie did to the World Sportscar Championship and Group C - because they wanted those manufacturers in F1, not sports cars - and it says more about him than American open wheel.

Yeah the reputation that Bernie has had perhaps leads me to believe he could see a bit of "blip" on his radar in regards to CART, but I question whether he thought they would "overtake him".

Also TF is claiming that Bill France, Tony George and Bernie met at the Spanish GP one year. Was looking for any sort of confirmation from that here, because that sounds a bit odd.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/PCaporali/status/822079329098231808

4th of July weekend. Do it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

It was all about this, I think. As global of a brand F1 is, there are still a lot of big markets they can't crack. The United States is one of them, obviously. As CART got to a point where it was significant internationally and drawing top international stars (Mansell, etc.) it should have spooked F1. Imagine if several generations of Americans had gotten to equate top-class international racing with CART instead of Formula 1. That would breed a scenario where F1 was perceived as inferior to a significant percentage of the global audience. No way F1 would have stood for that.

In fact, I'm not sure that F1 was completely able to escape that fate considering the state of Formula 1 fandom in the U.S. There's a USGP, but it's blip on the racing calendar compared to the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.

I think had they never left the Glen? This is a different discussion, but I think that led to F1's decline in popularity stateside. It's a quite testament to that venue that they STILL have an insanely loyal fanbase that will attend anything that runs at that venue.

Kind of the same story with Long Beach, but the difference being that The Glen has that "snake pit" atmosphere that IMS cultivated over the years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

The last time F1 was probably on even footing with Indy, IMSA and Cup was probably in the 60's/70''s, which does have parts of what you were talking about.

Roger Penske, Parnelli Jones, and Dan Gurney all had teams. Roger wound up having a fairly successful mid pack team and was able to give the likes of Mark Donohue a shot. Parnelli actually was the one that was able to allow Mario a chance to dip his toes into the water and showcase his talents before the world. Not to mention that the guy actually running McLaren at the time was....Teddy Mayer, a :911:.

This is also not to mention that during this era pretty much every major F1 star tried running Indy (Clark, Hill, Brabham, Hulme, and Sir Jackie Stewart). This allowed these figures to gain exposure from an American audience in that regard, even allowing one to become a household name in the states (Sir Jackie). There's only been ONE Racing driver to ever be named "SPORTS MAN OF THE YEAR" by SI, and it was...of all people Sir Jackie.

Ford was indeed involved very heavily during the 60's, 70's, and 80's. You had customer cars, you had a lot of random Americans popping up in various places (Rahal, Cheever, Sullivan, Revson, etc).You also had venues like I mentioned like the Glen and Long Beach. One that catered towards the "drinking" race fan, and one that catered towards the "glitz/glammer" of F1 in the vain of Monaco.

There's a formula to do it, but Bernie never seemed to want to be bothered in implementing it.

I imagine that this would also greatly help IndyCar in it's exposure as well, but I don't think the powers at be at F1 would like it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

TO BE THE MAN YOU GOT TO BEAT THE MAN!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm not trying to rip on Danica, but does it feel in some ways that her bailing on the series kinda helped it out in some ways?

It feels like the series has found itself a new crop of stars, fan favorites in the vain of Hinch, Newgarden, Rahal, Pagenaud, and such. It feels like the MRTI is starting to pay dividends, and that the sport has found it better to have those guys be your face rather than one girl who the media drools over.

(Let me add..they really need to find a Sarah Fisher clone in the near future. I think this women would be a great add if they could get her in the MRTI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Jackson )

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Coincidence is not causation.

She left the seat, it went to Hinch (would've been Dan :smith: ). Her last ICS race was Vegas 2011 (:smith: ) so, the chassis and engine formula changed directly afterward. This allowed more teams a more-equal playing field and enabled more young talent to shine.

I think the Danica years were kinda hiding the final stages of decline (before a slight revival) in the sport/series. 2011 Vegas was rock bottom. That was when they hit it.

I mean you think about..2002, The IRL had landed a major coup by landing Ganassi, Penske, Andretti, Rahal and Fernandez into the sport. Some of the biggest names in CART were now back racing at Indy in May,. This is in addition to landing old CART venues like Michigan, Fontana, Nazareth, Homestead, and such. Not to mention getting Honda, and Toyota to join Chevy in the sport.

It's kinda sad that a lot of those I just typed? Kinda deteriorated during that time. Like it's really sad they couldn't find a way to keep Toyota and Chevy happy for example. (If we were going to hit the reset? It'd have been nice if the IRL hooked Penske up with Chevy during this go around, and did the same with Ganassi/Toyota to keep people happy. Honda seemed to be doing really well with Rahal, Andretti as their two anchors) Same with the venues I just typed (I know, I know..Nazareth was doomed because of NASCAR not finding it of use any more).

It also always felt like they were playing some sort of bizarre game of "catch up" with Cup during that era too. Their crowds in retrospect? Weren't horrible when you consider the fact that they're probably the equivlant of most Cup crowds today.

Perhaps she's just more of a "symbol" of that era?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Fuzzy is the wokest of race fans

Bleh. I'm so bored.

Thank god the 24 hours is this weekend.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

New Miller article which is pro-Indy as gently caress.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/137893-miller-nascar-s-changes-are-great-for-indycar

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Easy enough to do. I whipped up tables for 2015 and 2016 which removed points for Indy qualifying, Indy's double points and Sonoma's double points. I also compared what the points looked like before and after the last race.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hgciccie97ZGR1LWpydXlaUlU/view?usp=sharing

Looks like Montoya well and truly got screwed in 2015.

ed- fixed math

Yeah Dixie pulled a JJ out of his rear end for that one.

Honestly I think that the points should be based on money earned from race to race, but I'm kinda weird like that.

e: And I realize the potential risk with that belief.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Like golf! At golf would never stoop to NASCAR's level and have playoffs at the end of their seaso—

gently caress me

I think doing it by Purse would allow you to kinda sneak in "Double Points" without it seeming as gimmicky. Same with money for getting the pole at Indy.

I don't think there's anything wrong in theory with making the "Majors" in Cup, IMSA, and Indy be worth more than a regular race. The key is making it sure it's only the races that are a part of racing lore, not a race at loving Kansas or Chicagoland.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Um. Okay

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ford-chief-denies-crazy-indycar-engine-rumors-869136/

quote:

Ford Performance director Dave Pericak has denied rumors that Ford is planning a return to IndyCar Series competition in the near future.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com at Daytona on Friday, Pericak said he was aware of the speculation but insisted that it was unfounded.

“Yeah, there’s rumors flying again, it’s crazy,” he said. “There are no plans for us to return to Indy, I can tell you that we’re not looking to do that.

“It’s partly due to the relevance. IndyCar is fun, it would be great to go and do it, but it’s not why we do what we do. It’s just not at the heart of what we’re doing [in motorsport].”

Road-relevance key

Pericak outlined that Ford would only countenance full factory-backed or works-supported programs that have a direct impact on its street car range, such as its GT supercar or Fiesta in WRC and World Rallycross.

“We use the track to test and improve our technologies, and bring it back into the road cars,” he added. “That’s working well, not just on the GT but other products as well. To be able to leverage that [racing] program to polish the Ford oval and to communicate what Ford is about – our engineering prowess. It’s been really powerful.

“The cool thing about the GT program is how relevant it is to people and cars that we put in driveways. It’s not an untouchable, it’s something that people can associate with. That’s what’s important to us.

“We don’t want to go out there just to race. I mean, racing is fun, but we’re gonna go win and leverage that effort to better all our production cars. If there’s not a direct translation to the cars, then we’re not going to spend the money, time and effort.

“We truly are using racing as a testbed.”

Feels like things are thawing despite the words being uttered here.

We've gone from "No one in the stands/over my dead body" to "It'd be fun to do"

Also how is their NASCAR, WRC, and GT program relevant to their street car program? That seems a bit silly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

their WRC program isn't even full factory anymore, hasn't been for a few years (go watch the official WRC recaps of the Monte Carlo Rally, they refer to them as M-Sport produced cars, which is accurate).

It's just a very puzzling argument for an auto racing program.

Example? Chevy and Honda both have displays up at IMS during "500" weekend to be :smug: about their various involvements in racing, and to kinda show case their sports cars. For reference I tweeted photos from that weekend.

Here's what Honda is :smug: about

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/825106473986490370

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/825106562163281921

And here's what Chevy is :smug: about :

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/825106824269553664

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/825106860109885442

I kinda fail to see Ford's argument here. Honda and Chevy seem to be able to display a mix of their racing heritage and street cars just fine using IndyCar as a platform.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

The NASCAR thing, as the guys who are in the Facebook groups with me will attest, stems from the fact that there's still a ton of NASCAR fans who are brand loyal and root for people who drive specific manufacturers. Win on Sunday sell on Monday isn't really a thing like it was, but there are absolutely a large number of NASCAR fans who root for Ford and have Fords in the driveway. Also, unlike this motley crew of idiots we have here, a majority of those people only watch NASCAR.

a good post and one I can definitely see the reasoning behind.

I don't think being involved in Cup is a bad thing as it does allow them to sell their fans on various Ford cars. Kinda the same with Toyota.

It's just a puzzling argument because via their own logic? They really wouldn't be involved in any form of auto racing currently.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

maybe you shouldnt pick apart their reasoning and just accept that they dont want to pay for an indycar program

See that makes sense.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Honda has supported various forms of open wheel racing for like 50 years. A theory I have (which is completely unsubstantiated and probably bullshit) is the reason they poured so much into F1, F3, F2, Indycar etc. because until the NSX (excluding the weird 60s roadsters) they had no real sports cars to go GT racing with. Like in the mid-80s when they were hammering everybody in F1 the closest things to a sports car they had was the loving Prelude and two Civic based sporty coupes (Integra and CRX).

Honda's involvement, success in Indy and F1 is pretty remarkable when you consider what you just typed.

The most unusual thing (and I'd like to see Cygni confirm this) is that they were looking to get into IndyCar since 87 or so. (Jenkins mentions it in a broadcast at a Phoenix race around that time, and MP has posted articles saying there was to be a Judd Honda engine that ultimately failed).

They've really been Indycar's best friend in a lot of ways. They've weathered the storm with them despite some pretty rough times.

e: I've always kinda wanted to construct a "super team" based on drivers who made their names driving with various manufacturers. Ford, chevy would be tough to beat. But man...Honda would have quite the roster considering Senna, Prost, Zanardi, etc, etc.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Honda pretty aggressively separates their US arm from corporate, from what I understand. Monetarily, all US Honda profit goes back to the US arm and not corporate, for example. There are a couple companies like that, Porsche NA is also really independent. I think it helps them politically,

Uncle probably knows more than I do about that stuff though.

Honda HQ was definitely involved in the CART era, if the number of trips my dad took to Japan are any indicator. They also did a full engineer rotation through the program, which was pretty cool. Fun fact, the computer shift without lift thats now pretty common in a lot of racecars was originally a technology transfer from Honda motorcycles to Honda's CART program, that got worked out over thousands of testing miles at Firebird in the early 90s.

Apparently the Toyota oligarch dude (Akio Toyota, i think) was super into CART and racing though, and was a super chill dude that hung around the paddock for every race.

I'm kinda saddened that CART/IRL split right as Toyota was about to enter into the show. Toyota seemed beyond excited to race at Indy...invested heavily within IMSA, The Atlantics to get involved. Then the year FINALLY comes and they're in Michigan on the day they would have made their Indy 500 debut.

If I can find it...during one of the old CART broadcasts, they even had a commercial bragging about how they were "on the road to Indy" in 1995 or so.

Credit to Toyota for throwing a lot of money at sponsoring races too...it's a drat shame they're not involved any more.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

They sponsored him back pre-split right?
*edit*
Yeah they did in 2003.

IIRC Kool Green was kinda behind it with 7/11 kinda backing it to "mask" the funding.

Unsure if that's true or not.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/826949817704263680

owns. so goddamn much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah some random guy on youtube had like this insanely high quality version of it up on youtube via a betamax video. He wasn't a race fan by any stretch, just used it as an example of the video quality. I asked if he wanted to post it and he declined saying "there were more complete versions already up"

This version is pretty incredible though. God bless IMS/ICS having all these gems to post up in addition to the likes of our own BMB5150, AShopher1, etc.

Also check out Darrell Waltrip giving the "500"/IMS props:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsszPSWeAg

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Saw three IndyCar haulers driving by while visiting family in Oklahoma this week.

A Sonoco/VERIZON INDYCAR one,, and two SSM-SMP ones (Mikhail, Hinch). Must be on their way to Phoenix to test!

Sorry for the lack of pictures but it was on the interstate and those things were flying.

On a non-related note. Why does Dallara dominate in regards to producing chassis for formula racing? Seriously. they're exclusive for Super Formula, GP 2, GP 3, World Seires by Renault, in addition to our beloved IndyCar/Indy Lights.

HAAS F! even uses them.

Is there a reason why they're so dominate in this regard? Why does Crapwagon hate them and think they produce inferior chassis to say Lola, Panoz, Reynard, Swift, etc?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

lovely post, but what ever.

Didn't you guys mention something about Alfa Romero being a new mfg one day? I kinda scoffed at that concept, but they do appear to be re-entering the US market a bit more heavier now..so perhaps maybe?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

FCA is repositioning Chrysler as their mainstream US brand and pushing Alfa as their luxury marque, so it does make some sense.

Maybe we can get GM to add Buick back to the series to compete with Chevy, and party like it's 1991 or something.

At the very least? The Cascada would make a helluva Pacecar.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tony Stewart to return to the Indy 500...

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/02/07/tony-stewart-foundation-to-sponsor-car-in-indianapolis-500/

...as a car sponsor!

This is cool and good. Word on the street is it could be Brian Vickers running the 77 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Yeah that's the Indycar engine note I remember, fairly sure I started watching the series right around the 92-94 era. Also I'd forgotten how much PIR has changed since those days.

Paul Page talking up Emmo, Unser Jr., Luyendyk Michael Andretti, Team Penske, etc. That was kinda in the background of me playing with hot wheels cars while my dad watched.

It's pretty sad that I can now pick out the particular brand of engines that were featured in "Nicktoons" I liked growing up. Example? Rugrats for some reason used a Buick Menard engine as a sound effect.

Also Bill Burr is a racing fan apparently, and IndyCar/NBC really should be taking advantage of that.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/829770963247996929

• Locked thread