Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

financially racist posted:

thanks for the reminder that michael andretti was a garbageman

at least he was better than marco i guess

Michael was good and awesome.

Just had a lot of bad breaks.

Could have won Indy in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2006...he always seemed to know how run up front at that place, but could never find a way to seal the deal. IIRC, he also was constantly in a fight to win the PPG Cup during his time as well. Almost won it in 1986, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996....I want to say in the late 90's, early 2000's he was also still challenging for the title, but again, couldn't seal the deal.

I mean the guy has 42 wins to this credit. He's been able to win championships, 500s as an owner, and has been very incredible in that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The one that amazes me about the PPG Era of the series was the amount of :911: talent they were able to have during that time period.

Guys like Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jr., Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, and Danny Sulllivan just seemed to be used in a manner that was really friendly to fans and advertisers alike.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wasn't there an ex-nfl player who raced in asa or some poo poo

Jerry Glanville was a coach and raced

http://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Jerry_Glanville

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If NASCAR continues to poo poo the bed for the next few years, Indycar could be heading back towards those days?

Yes and no.

They're doing quite a bit without a lot of resources on hand in terms of promotion. But they're kinda dwarfed by what Daytona Beach has in a lot of ways. They gotta figure out a way to make the Indy 500 a national event again. They're successfully revived it as a local one, but the next step would be getting to that level.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conor Daly just had an engine blow up in practice. Ya'll wanna meet in IRC to watch this together?

Yeah..Daytona/Charlotte is a behemoth.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We got shibby live form practice in the chat.

come join us guys

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#ICS@irc.synirc.net

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

That's a pro-rear end avatar

Dr. Jack Miller is a legend, but in a very different way. He's part of that old lore of IndyCar of some random guy that had no business mixing it up with the big boys at IMS, yet he's there and makes the field at the biggest race in the world.

People associate him with "bad racers" and the IRL being horrible, but drat..If anyone here wouldn't want to have been in his shoes for those couple of seasons.

He was also insanely nice to me at Legends Day, so I though I';d honor him. My posting skills are only matched by his racing skills.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There ya go Viking

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138133-usac-silver-crown-added-to-phoenix-indycar-weekend

quote:

Phoenix Raceway President Bryan Sperber announced today that the USAC Silver Crown Series will return to one of its most famous tracks in the Phoenix Copper Cup on Saturday, April 29. The series will bring their Quarter Midget division for a full day of racing action ahead of the Verizon IndyCar Series Phoenix Grand Prix held under the lights.
"We're thrilled to add the USAC Silver Crown series to our Verizon IndyCar weekend," said Sperber. "The series has a tremendous history here and has produced some incredible races. I'm certain this race will be a popular addition to the Phoenix Grand Prix schedule."
Some of Phoenix Raceway's most legendary drivers got their start in the USAC Silver Crown Series, including A.J. Foyt, Verizon IndyCar Series team owner and winner of the first-ever race held at Phoenix Raceway in 1964, current NASCAR team owner and three-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Champion Tony Stewart, and four-time NASCAR Cup Champion Jeff Gordon.
USAC last raced on the one-mile oval in 2009 with current NASCAR driver Cole Whitt winning the Silver Crown Series. The highlight of the season for many USAC fans, the series would generally hold their season opener at Phoenix Raceway with one event drawing over 31,000 fans.
"The history of Silver Crown and Champ Car racing at Phoenix Raceway means a tremendous amount to the United States Auto Club," USAC Series Director Levi Jones said. "We are extremely excited to be back and we're looking forward to an incredible event."
The USAC Quarter Midget division will also race at Phoenix Raceway on the Fan Midway. Among the former Quarter Midget stars that raced at Phoenix and made their name in motorsports include Tucson, Ariz., native Alex Bowman and 2015 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Champion Chris Eggleston.
Both the USAC Silver Crown Series and the Quarter Midget races will compete ahead of the Verizon IndyCar Series Phoenix Grand Prix.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

That's not on brand, Helio.

He said Phoenix was his first oval ever back in '96.

Was Lights and CART still testing at that place in spite of the split?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm in the mood for dumb questions to ask the thread.

Considering the fact that a.) it still exists, and b.) it's actually providing drivers for Indy Lights again (Ryan Norman)..do you think we'll ever see the Atlantics become a feeder series for IMSA/ICS again?

Also how come it DIDN'T become those things past 2008 or so?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of USAC how come they've come back to running pavement? F1600/2000/Atlantics all list USAC instead of SCCA on their website.

I had seen that. I believe that they are their new sanctioning body oddly enough.

USAC is very weird as an organization because their HQ is a.) the size of small town bank building b.) literally across the street from the Speedway Yet their relationship with VICS seems visibly strained after TG cut them out of the picture in 1997 after they continued to gently caress up the scoring.

It's even more bizarre considering the Hulmans founded USAC, own IMS...and by proxy (with TG) created the IRL...yet only two are relatively close terms with each other.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Hmmm apparently USAC took control of sanctioning this past winter than I thought. They will be sanctioning Pirelli World Challenge now plus all of them. Maybe USAC wanting to get back into pavement sanctioning?

I wish USAC wasn't a joke sanctioning body for Indy during the 90's...because there was something cool about them sanctioning the Indy 500 independent from CART. Seemed like a lot of advancements were made in the sport because of that.

These actions do indeed seem puzzling considering USAC's commitment always seemed towards short track stuff, not so much road course things. In fact it feels like CART was partially created for that reason.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Herta was the king of getting Pole Position/getting into the lead then having circumstances work against him or blowing it. In 1998 ESPN repeatedly showed a montage of Herta getting owned by Zanardi before races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBthxGThBkc

Man Zanardi enjoyed punking him.

But at least he was able to pick up a few wins during his racing career at least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CiB_Rxvds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQfibRXLKU

Seriously he was insanely good at Laguna Seca.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Guy who north american openwheel really shoulda hung on to Robert Wickens is also going to test an SSM car at Sebring, with Hinch then testing Wicken's DTM car in Italy after St Pete.

SSM really maximizing their extra test allotment for first time drivers, ha.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138315-hinchcliffe-wickens-set-for-indycar-dtm-ride-swap

I'm a bit stunned he hasn't stumbled into this series, but I guess the lack of Team Forsythe kinda stunted a lot of Indy drivers from Canada coming to race here...

He'd be great to see over here sometime to be honest. But I think DTM is probably the bigger opportunity for him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamn, reading through that article, sounds like Gentilozzi is a real piece of poo poo. Knew he was going to lose so he folded Rocketsports and started RSR with the same building, people, and assets.

Crapwagon has lionized him because he trashes the IRL on his facebook apparently.

Funny what's happened to both of them since that lawsuit was filed. RHR is a series champ, 500 champ, and thought of as one of the 'faces" of the series. Paul G is just doing Trans Am still I guess.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

What if Fuzzy is Mark Plourde

big if true.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Marshall Pruett said on his podcast that there's an alleged 3rd engine mfg looking to jump in, and there will be a story about it next week.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/835628048233840640

Unsure what he's meaning by this, but hmm.

My bet s Alfa Romeo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Briggs and Stratton.

Or Cummins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPa4vCYIB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmsLsZEcBzw

Or Offenhauser

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

(Real Talk? Someone hinted to me that it could be Dodge-FCA)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/sho...l=1#post1294676

quote:

Phock Ryan HunTURDray .... that weasel didn't deserve that Rocket Sports ride in the first place!
Gentilozzi was a dolt for hiring him.
I hope in appeal that TURDboy never sees a penny of this cash, IRHell asshat!

Yeah RHR is the REAL villain here! Not the man who trashed him up and down the paddock so badly he was stuck giving driving lessons to millionaires in sports cars.

What in the gently caress is wrong with these nutjobs?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

indycar merged 9 years ago. tony george and his staff were removed from control of indycar 7 years ago. and CW is still goin'....

imagine being that lovely at living

Guys like Jacques Villeneueve, Paul Tracy, Juan Montoya, Alexander Rossi, Sebastian Bourdais and James Hinchcliffe who were critical of the IRL? All have raced there since then and have praised the series.

Juan came back and won. PT calls races. Rossi won the "500". Hinch is one of their posterboys and drives for an ex-IRL driver. Bourdais has said to me personally that while he liked Champcar? He's much more happier that both series are back together.

The guy who gave them their NICKNAME has repeatedly praised the series during their telecasts, in print, etc.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

gently caress, Hinchcliffe USED TO POST REGULARLY at Crapwagon & even HE moved on.

The lone reasoning any of these people have any more is pretty much this:

-The Hulman family still funds it thus it's bad. (Not like they ever funded or ran the thing before. Nope! 1955-1978 never happened)
-"DULLARAH IS A BAD CHASSIS. IT'S NOT LIKE PANOZ, LOLA OR REYNARD"

I mean I'm more of a fan of Panoz, Lola or Reynard as chassis's too...but Dallara isn't..horrible? I don't know. Like Super Formula, GP2/GP3 and pretty much every formula series on the planet uses them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nevermind that Reynard died in 2002, Lola died in 2012, and Penske stopped building his own cars after the PC-27B disaster in 1999. I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The DW12 is far from perfect, but I still think most of the hate for it comes from people who look at it and see the IR03 instead, and associate that car as being the one that was gaining ground in the IRL while Champ Car was dying. There's also the simple fact that Dallara has apparently figured out how to be a commercially viable racecar manufacturer, which is about as massive an oxymoron as I can think of.

I will say that all of the photos of DW12s in testing with the rear wheel pods removed give me a bit of James May's "fizz". :awesome:

Remove the airbox and remove the bumpers off the DW-12? It looks like a solid, traditional open wheel car IMO. (Indy Lights perhaps would be the example of this).

Panoz is co-owned by Chip IIRC. My stupid theory was that if there were to ever be two other chassis' in the sport? It'd be the Panoz (With Chip) and Swift (King Hiro/Honda) who'd be the ones joining Dallara. Adrian Reynard is still a thing even if his company isn't. I think I heard of him wanting to help come up with aerokits for the DW-12.

Of all old chassis companies? GALMER has a website. But i don't know if they still exist in any sort of capacity.

I think Robin Miller's criticism of Dallara per a video I saw was something about them "not being :911: and coming from Italy". But that criticism is dead because their American HQ is within walking distance of IMS.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Penske actually reverted to being a semi-single car team in 1999. Some odd driver choices during the year too.

Gonchi :smith:.

The two 2000-2001 era Penske Honda Reynards were actually streamlined and modified by Penske, so they were actually technically a hybrid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Hell I'm guessing the site was last updated in 1999 and laughing they were doing anything in 99 to want to have a website... well just about everyone wanted a website in 1999 come to think of it.

http://www.galmerinc.com/

3-D Printing?

Was that when it was last updated, 99?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

My bias opinion says not qualifying for the '95 500. It did turn my avatar into a drunk, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWcWGDZS5o

Tony George and USAC really tried to kneecap Penske in an incredible way to make sure that would never happen again. This clip is incredible in terms of the two sides sniping at each other.

Also...I'm trying to find confirmation for this (Read: Cygni), but allegedly USAC was so pissed that "A FURRINER" engine manufacturer won in '94, that they really tried to gently caress over the car with the "Jap Tires" (Firestone) and "Jap engines" (Honda) which was partially why USAC penalized Scott Goodyear and Tasman on that last restart.

Person claimed to be a spotter, and said he could hear a few USAC officials muttering about it. I don't have proof, just hearsay.

(god I missed talking about IndyCar...)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Watched that video. Tony was such a cock.

Probably still is.

There's an urban legend as to how the IRL was funded, and the real reason why he was kicked out of managing the IRL.

It's a topic that Viking enjoys joining in on. ("Huh. How did those unsponsored cars make the race?")

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836662476573827073

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836663118251999232

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

Yeah. I mean it's been obvious that ever since NASCAR left the first time around 2000 or so, Indy really was on borrowed time at that channel. Once the ABC WWOS guys got canned, and the likes of Paul Page were pushed off? Beginning of the end.

The guys screaming at each other from sun up until 8 PM or so have interest in auto racing. So you're not gonna get any coverage from them.

NBC would be a welcome change. Their reach isn't big, but I imagine they'd promote the "500" quite a bit better per the sorts of things I've seen them do with Cup and F1. (their cup coverage is MILES better than Fox's btw).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I wonder at what point, if any, a major race series just say gently caress It to broadcast TV altogether and sign the broadcast rights to someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime instead.

(I get that those two are more aimed at on-demand services than live broadcast, but that can always change)

If I can ever find the article...there was talk in the early 90's of CART starting their own TV Network (pretty much a precursor to "SPEEDVISION"). The response from Paul Page in the article was pretty much "Why do it when people are willing to PAY you to broadcast you on TV".

Honestly I was a little stunned that Cup or Indy never did that in hindsight, but I imagine that quote kinda put a stop to it. I imagine one day...we'll see...some channel not willing to toss the bucks and we'll see some sort of WWE Network-esque package for Cup and/or Indy one day.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Speaking of Split videos, look at this one from 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHQmiqD8BI

Watch that video & tell me that Tony George isn't a complete idiot.

His major points are:
1. Expanding internationally is bad
2. Oval racing is Americana
3. We should expand it internationally
4. Umm... Err... Uhhh...

Viking looks up from an old copy of "Speedway Illustrated " magazine

He wasn't..."wrong", he just sucked at implementing the idea. I think a significant portion of the fanbase was terrified that there was going to be less Gary Bettenhausen's and AJ Foyt's in Indy...and more guys like Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart fleeing to Cup.

If he'd have just done some form of the USAC Gold Crown Series, not done 25/8 and such? Perhaps we're having a different conversation about the sport right now. But TG's goal wasn't to really create the series we're talking about. Rather it was designed to kill off CART tbh.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I don't think there's any mystique or anything interesting or noteworthy about the Indy 500 having to be on ABC, so I'd be perfectly happy if all of the ICS went to NBC and NBCSN. I know it's always been on ABC, but I don't see how changing networks now would make any difference.

ESPN is still top-of-the-line with their event coverage, but catching up on how their studio shows etc. are during Christmas-time, not much of it is terribly inspiring or interesting.

I feel that "mystique" of having it on ABC died the day Paul Page got let go and replaced with Todd Harris.

After that? It really was never the same. That's not a slam on Harris btw, who has praised his time covering the sport as a "life highlight", but it's more so how ESPN is unable to keep it's head out of something that works. The McKay/Page "Wide World of Sports', WORKED.. When they drifted away from that? Yeah..it was weakened.

Bestwick does a solid job, as does the coverage of the actual event. But ESPN proper doesn't seem to acknowledge it even exists, which is kinda tragic...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/837804268732088320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oLSrlzGRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzf9ikWtXY

AJ Foyt loving owns

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

hi i'm originally from ny's capital region, home of general electric, and i just wanted to say that ge is among the absolute worst companies in the entire world~

My dad does business with GE and this is accurate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

The worst company is actually the Indy Racing League

The IRL during it's worst days is miles better than what Cup is trying to do right now.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/838771339435651072

Christ at least the worst they tried to do in this department was trying to make the cars sound like Offenhauser powered Millers or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Although Mercedes Benz was a supplier in the CART days, I don't really see a great reason for them to get back into American open wheel racing. Alfa seems more reasonable given the recent reintroduction of their brand back to the U.S. market.

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

Cosworth still exists, and i could honestly see them pulling a 2003 to help out Chevy if they wanted to stay in the sport with Ganassi or Andretti.

If it's Andretti? I think it's more like it'd be Volkswagen.

My money is on FCA to be honest.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's the history overall of FCA involved in IndyCar/Indy 500 racing?

I can recall Chrysler and Dodge both being pace cars. (1991, 1996). I also know full well about Alfa Romeo's background, how it was originally a project by Enzo Ferrari, etc.

Has Dodge proper ever entered into the Indy 500? Their history doesn't seem to pop up like Ford, Chevy or Buick, so i'm a bit curious.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Alberto Ascari driven roadster is a truly beautiful looking machine.

it's a drat shame that Ferrari proper never gave Indy another shot in the manner n which they've succeeded at Le Mans and F1. I mean they came close with loving around with Ferrari 637, but really that just wound up becoming the Alfa that Sullivan ran with Patrick in the 90's

I still think if it's indeed FCA (as has been implied by a friend, via his insistence that Jay Frye has a close relationship with them)? It's gotta be Alfa Romeo who is indeed looking to dip their toes back into the US market again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just wish we could get the car counts up again so we could bring back "Bump Day" and make "Pole Day" interesting.

Though...it feels like that's drat impossible to accomplish because i imagine the risk of DNQ would drive a lot of sponsors, etc away.

Which sucks because watching the old broadcasts of qualifications is fun as hell. The stories of guys trying to just MAKE the field against the Goliath's of Penske, Newman Haas, etc is rather incredible. Small teams like Dick Simon's (literally ran out of an old firehouse), Hemelgarn, and such trying to just get it right.

don't get me wrong. At this point? Just grateful to even have a sport...but man, those were some cool times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IndyCar at NHMS, anyone?

• Locked thread