Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold prediction: Everyone is poo poo and JPM wins because of his performance at Indy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

I'm sort of hoping Toyota ends up being the third engine manufacturer, but I don't really see where the engine spec would benefit them elsewhere.

Honestly, with a few exceptions, where does racing engine development help anywhere on the road? The only real one I can think of is the split turbo out of F1, but that's it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ford is already in NASCAR, and has been one of the two stalwarts for years alongside Chevy. Indy is still second fiddle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I like them :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Plus all the high level driver defections over the years to CART, then Mansell... yes, the FIA was worried about CART. Worried enough to blackball tracks and even whole countries to keep CART's international expansion in check. Rockingham, Lasuitz, and Motegi aren't all ovals by accident or choice.

Guess that explains why you never see FIA and Indy on the same courses.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It was all about this, I think. As global of a brand F1 is, there are still a lot of big markets they can't crack. The United States is one of them, obviously. As CART got to a point where it was significant internationally and drawing top international stars (Mansell, etc.) it should have spooked F1. Imagine if several generations of Americans had gotten to equate top-class international racing with CART instead of Formula 1. That would breed a scenario where F1 was perceived as inferior to a significant percentage of the global audience. No way F1 would have stood for that.

In fact, I'm not sure that F1 was completely able to escape that fate considering the state of Formula 1 fandom in the U.S. There's a USGP, but it's blip on the racing calendar compared to the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.

It also doesn't help F1 that a majority of the races are at really bad times in the US. The USGP does get coverage on NBC and not NBCSN (or CNBC if they shove it to there for whatever reason).

Buuuuuuuut it's in the middle of football season :laffo:

e: I understand the decision to schedule the USGP in fall. Austin can be stupid hot in the summer, but when you're trying to crack the US market, doing it opposite the NFL is about as dumb as you can be.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 20, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

The European rounds are all scheduled consecutively May-September, it's not quite as simple as just saying "don't race the USGP during football season."

It doesn't change the fact though that if you want to break into the US market, doing it when everyone is watching (well, most everyone) one of two channels and it's not the one you're on? Congrats, you're doing it wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Buddy, it's simply asinine to suggest they go out and rearrange literally the entire loving schedule.

Dynamite Dog posted:

They go to Canada after Monaco

:smug:

WindyMan posted:

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

Haas is too "niche" of a brand to do this. True racing nerds may know about it and its connection to NASCAR, but Jim Bob doesn't care. It's not Ford or Chevy, or even Dodge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

man im out of touch with the kids these days

alternate joke is just to quote leon:

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/445926596143095809

I'm ColgyP.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

Who the heck spends money on a custom title for another poster and makes it ALL TEXT?

And doesn't even make it red!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Like golf! At golf would never stoop to NASCAR's level and have playoffs at the end of their seaso—

gently caress me

I think the reason /that/ happened because no one really knew who the hell the winner of a "season" was. gently caress, the PGA Championship (as in the competition) is in August (and is not in the playoffs). Ah well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

TK is old enough to have driven during the $1m+ salary days.

Also Aleshin confirmed with SPM afterall: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138004-aleshin-returns-with-spm

In before he loses another race in the most Russian dash cam sort of way

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

On P2P, the more I think about it, the more I really like the restart rule. Because restarts are one of the best places to pass, it has become a given that everyone mashes the P2P button and burns one on a restart. This means the net effect of P2P on the action at the restart is zero, and the net effect on the rest of the race is one less P2P attempt.

My thoughts too, also means that you won't see drivers burning one on a restart only to have it waved off or someone crashes right behind them. As a whole, the P2P change is win.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

And the new sponsor of Scott Dixon, the color white.

Those rear wing vents :swoon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is entirely my poo poo. :shlick:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

If there's not 101 bottles in there I'm gonna be upset.

Nah, only 99

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Large corporation? Terrible? WELL I NEVER.

I wonder how much of it also comes from the Internet's hatred of Edison

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonklol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Yeah and because Long Beach has IMSA as well there's really not much you can do to change its date.

And the ePrix or whatever Formula E calls their races.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

Are they getting rid of the "not-a-fender" over the back wheels?

If I remember right, road courses won't. High speed oval courses will still have them because that's when they're needed most. Could be wrong.

e: derp :downs:

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 29, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-31-Added-2018-car-images

:shlick:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar put up the '97 LBGP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGqlVM7DdM

"Possibly the most important race of the year" :sigh:

That's a drat good quality video for 1997 though. Also, I greatly appreciate Indy doing this, unlike another open wheel series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

Man they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for sponsors nowadays, but money is money :unsmith:

Yup. As long as there's racing and someone picking up the tab, so be it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What was it anyway?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CalePutnam/status/849779352527044608

Can we start using the new cars now please?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rossi :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Remind me to never post on trackforum .

Don't post on trackforum.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I will laugh long and hard if Chevy dominates the super speedways this year and Honda dominates everything else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The white zone is for loading and unloading only

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stare:

:HUGE rear end STARE EMOTE HERE:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hey Alonso.... there's another race in flying distance that night :getin:

Oh man, if he did that, it'd make the greatest day of racing so much better.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bernie must be loving livid right now.

This is awesome.

There's been a definite shift in how F1 runs things since he left, that's for sure.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 12, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Tying the aerokits to engine manufacturers I probably the biggest thing stopping another engine supplier from jumping in.

Yeah, but they're ditching them after this year, so now is the time.

1500quidporsche posted:

Isn't running an Indycar programme like the same cost as GP2 but with more seat time? It'd kinda make sense for McLaren to just run Indycar for their junior drivers instead of putting them through the balls expensive European open wheel ladder.

I think so? It also gives points towards Super Licenses, and winning the championship does qualify you for one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Indy is fine in its current position as an "points towards super license" without being officially part of the ladder. In some regards it's like Japanese baseball. It's not a minor league by any means, but you could argue to no end whether or not it's as strong as a league compared to MLB.

The one thing about Indy Car though that I hope never changes is how much they know that fan interaction helps loyalty and thus growth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh yeah, Indy Courses are much more bumpy than F1 courses. That's for sure.

Though it's not Sebring levels of bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was Rossi's dream to race F1. Gets to Indy, decides he likes it there and seems to be staying. I think it's sort of a weird dichotomy here. F1 is definitely the premier racing circuit where the huge amount of money lurks if you're good. But it's so drat cutthroat that I think some people view it as suffocating, and decide Indy is the way they want to go. Is there as much fame and fortune in Indy? No, but it also feels more down to earth in a lot of ways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That too. They sold out last year so popularity is definitely growing.

Sadly TV was down, but Milwaukee was the biggest non-Indy market, go figure!

(:rip: the Mile :smith:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I will be completely shocked if they aren't sold out at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of the coolest things they did last year at the start of the broadcast just let the cars roar across the start line and for like a whole lap it was just the sound of the cars.

It probably was completely unintentional but it was sweet as all hell.

• Locked thread