Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pulling for KV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toyota Please.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

NHRA, and Formula Ford is dead in most of the countries where it used to exist.

I could have sworn they released a new FF car relatively recently. Is FF that dead?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I could fix one thing about Open Wheel Racing in general it would be its convoluted and unstable ladder system.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2002 was the last decent CART/Champcar season. When Penske left it was the beginning of the end.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Sigma Autosport also folded up after 5 races, which is why Ganassi picked up Dixon to keep the field at 18, which was the series contractual minimum for the races.

I did like Sigma's schemes, while they lasted.

Love that Lola.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gurney left just as the Toyota's just started coming around.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
PJ Jones is a huge dumbass though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Franchitti's rookie season consisted of him driving his rear end off and then getting hosed over repeatedly by various factors.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's unfair that his results that season don't really reflect how well he performed. I think in the Rookie championship he finished behind both Carpantier and Salles, both of whom didn't drive nearly as well.

The Hogan looked pretty drat cool though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah AutoGP is horrible.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. Also ancient Lola F3000 (remember that?) chassis until like 2009. It used to be Italian F3000.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When Kimiya Sato absolutely dominates a season there is a problem.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ford is not coming to Indycar. There has been absolutely no indication that they are. Fiat is F1 focused, Chyrsler has been bankrupt for 30+ years. Mazda is happy to support the ladder (I'm glad they do) and do not have the budget for an top series program and have said so on repeated occasions. US VW execs are going to prison; VW itself has withdrawn from several Motorsport programs. Nissan already has a DPi program and I doubt they will commit resources to Indycar.

That basically leaves Toyota, who has said very little about Indycar in general.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

There was an awful lot of "we hope" in that article. It's not like lack of an engine is the only reason there's not 28 full season rides.

Also I'm certain that any OEM that was considering developing an aero kit said "gently caress, nope" as soon as they saw the gap between the Chevy and HPD kits. The nature of this series is such that if you miss the aero by even a small amount, you will be an also-ran. Coming in as an outsider with unproven engines and aero probably looked like a recipe to save Honda from being last out of two.

That would have been prevented if more in-season development was allowed. I'm kinda bummed they are going away.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished 1997. The season was fantastic, probably the best of CART/Indycar I've ever seen. There was general parity among the engines (aside from Toyota. I think part of their problem was the drivers and teams they employed. Papis was the only one who looked good consistently). Having 4 Chassis was cool too, although the Reynard/Firestone combo was obviously the one to beat. Also the Penskes kept getting worse as the season wore on; the Lolas floundered all year until the last round. Swift did great for a first year effort.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

1997 and 1998 are the clear peak imo. 1998 is less close for the championship but has some of my favorite races of all time.

Zanardi was on a another level. The Ganassi cars also had excellent reliability. I think Honda still had a power advantage but Ilmor and Ford were close.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

freeranger posted:

Do you ever think we will see IndyCar return to the Champ Car days of doing international races? Or will this just lead to bankrupting the series quicker?

I obviously miss having a race here in Australia, but I also miss the days of them racing at the Twin Ring etc.

Also is F1/Bernie the reason Champ Car stopped racing at the F1 circuit in Canada? And the same reason IndyCar has not picked it up again?

I'm sure these are questions that have been asked before but I'm currently curious on it.

1. Not currently. I don't think the teams want to do it.

2. I'm sure he's had a hand in it. CART/Indycar isn't F1 (and it never has needed to be) but I imagine he doesn't like anything that flies too close to his series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a good track leave it alone.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair the INDYCAR Toyota Eagles were :mediocre:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, basically what I'm hearing is that COTA is bad because F1 races on it and it has FIA certification.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CactusWeasle posted:

Monza sucks its an oval stuffed with chicanes

:gun:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some good news;

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137762-indycar-napa-returns-with-rossi-for-seven-races

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oh baby.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He doesn't wanna do ovals, unfortunately.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stop whatever you are doing and watch Long Beach '98. Wacky starting grid (Salles in Vitolo's Coyne in 4th!) and crazy finish.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

After this in '86:

Plus all the high level driver defections over the years to CART, then Mansell... yes, the FIA was worried about CART. Worried enough to blackball tracks and even whole countries to keep CART's international expansion in check. Rockingham, Lasuitz, and Motegi aren't all ovals by accident or choice.

Motegi definitely was intended as an Oval complex man, FIA or not. Enzo always loved the 500 (shout outs to my man Gustav B. for that beautiful 637 ) but it also was just to threaten the FIA. You are also aware that Mansell's defection to CART was primarily driven by the fact that he didn't want to be teammates with Prost again right? He left as fast as he came when the car wasn't perfect.

It's difficult to say whether CART actually was capable of being an F1 rival on a global scale. I don't think it was, but I'm of the opinion that it didn't need to be. I watched and am currently re-watching late 90s CART; it's definitely a better on track product than F1 was at the time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It should be said too that CART very clearly hammered F1 in the USA, as the repeated failures of the 80s showed. That probably pissed off Bernie to no end.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WindyMan posted:

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

Sports Car Racing and Open Wheel are different beasts. While having a competitive domestic manufacturer is nice, in open wheel (from what I've seen) the drivers seem to get more of the attention than whatever badge is on the engine cover. And in America, CART always got more attention regardless. Ford was in F1 nearly continuously from 1967-2004ish. It dominated for over a decade (nearly becoming a spec engine some years) and was competitive until the mid-90s (winning the WDC with Schumacher/Benetton as late as 1994) but it did not increase F1's popularity in the USA.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That Logo is good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Fuzzys schedules are like that voice-over in the Twisted Metal 2 intro. Even.... Antarctica.

"Fuzzy...Fuzzy what have you done?!? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda has supported various forms of open wheel racing for like 50 years. A theory I have (which is completely unsubstantiated and probably bullshit) is the reason they poured so much into F1, F3, F2, Indycar etc. because until the NSX (excluding the weird 60s roadsters) they had no real sports cars to go GT racing with. Like in the mid-80s when they were hammering everybody in F1 the closest things to a sports car they had was the loving Prelude and two Civic based sporty coupes (Integra and CRX).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also how is their NASCAR, WRC, and GT program relevant to their street car program? That seems a bit silly.

Those things sorta resemble street cars, whereas open-wheel cars do not.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC they were done with one of Brabham's involvement as well, in addition to Judd. I haven't seen much of '87 but I know in '88 and '89 they were just called "Judds".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In the 95-02 period I think HQ was involved.

Fun fact: Mitsubishi nearly bought Honda at one point. That would have been really fuckin' weird.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kanaan has 7-11 sponsorship apparently. Good stuff, they have nice looking colours.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is Karam the new Buddy Lazier?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

That's an insult to Buddy Lazier.

Uh, I mean late-era Buddy Lazier.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In order to be competitive (especially later in the CART era) it was pretty much necessary to use the latest equipment. You occasionally had year-old chassis competiting but only near the beginning of the season.

Another reason Dallara is the last man standing more or less is because they were smart financially and produced good work. Reynard and Lola both distracted themselves with other projects or had horrible financial management.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Andretti's crash at Mid-Ohio '98 :whitewater:

• Locked thread