Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

wicka posted:

Not sure what Ford has to gain from IndyCar, it's purely a branding exercise, and if "Le Mans winners" isn't selling cars then I doubt "IndyCar champions" will.

It's really more about marketing more than anything these days. My next car is going to be a Honda Fit is in some small part due to Honda's loyalty to IndyCar over the decades. (It's also an amazingly versatile hatch that I can actually sleep in and go camping in and such!) The more places your name gets out there, the better, and racing is as good a place as any to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Oval rain tires, dammit. Drivers go as fast as they dare.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

i went to TF to see if some goober had already posted a "MAYBE CARL IS COMING TO INDYCAR" post, and there was already a 26 post thread about it. drat, theyre quick.

I can do you one better on that front.

https://twitter.com/Indys18Wheels/status/818846793148624897

It's on the internet posted by a gimmick transporter account, it must be true!!!!1

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

And yeah, I watched Mansell come over. Like you said, legitimate or not and for whatever reasons, F1/FIA was clearly spooked about CART. I personally don't think it ever stood a chance of somehow overtaking F1 on the world stage, but it certainly was well on its way to being marketable in a lot of markets that F1 still covets.

It was all about this, I think. As global of a brand F1 is, there are still a lot of big markets they can't crack. The United States is one of them, obviously. As CART got to a point where it was significant internationally and drawing top international stars (Mansell, etc.) it should have spooked F1. Imagine if several generations of Americans had gotten to equate top-class international racing with CART instead of Formula 1. That would breed a scenario where F1 was perceived as inferior to a significant percentage of the global audience. No way F1 would have stood for that.

In fact, I'm not sure that F1 was completely able to escape that fate considering the state of Formula 1 fandom in the U.S. There's a USGP, but it's blip on the racing calendar compared to the Daytona 500 or Indy 500.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The only real chance F1 has of gaining a significant foothold in the U.S. isn't an American driver or an American team, but an American brand competing and performing well. I would not think it a stretch to say that sportscar racing, specifically Le Mans, has a lot more of a casual following than F1. When recognizable U.S. brands like Chevy and Ford race domestically and internationally, Americans are going to watch (and care what happens) internationally. F1 has been chasing that a long time. Until you have a large American F1 manufacturer wanting to prove its worth against the world, general audiences won't put their heart into supporting F1 like they do IndyCar or NASCAR.

Related to that, I think Chevy coming to Indycar was one of the best things that could have happened, and not just because there were two competing engines again. Now Indycar has an American company promoting a traditionally American racing series, something that shouldn't be understated.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Remember when double points sounded like an awful gimmick? NASCAR just did that, but in a different way and for the entire season and WTF NASCAR?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Not seeing viking's custom title as all-bold all-red and all-caps really drives home the sorry state of the Something Awfule Dot Com Forums.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is NASCAR actually stopping the racing for each of those segments or are they just letting them carry on racing and awarding points for the running positions at one third and two thirds distance?

It's basically like the all-star race. They race to the flag at the end of the segment, the winner gets a Playoff point and the top 10 get regular finishing points. Caution comes out, teams pit if they want, and then the race starts again. The idea is that NASCAR wants teams to race hard throughout the entire race. Instead of shortening the races to fix this (less time to air commercials is unacceptable I guess?) they're just putting more shorter "races" within the same race and incentivizing doing well in them with bonuses in the postseason.

It's not an altogether bad idea, it's just confusing as hell and is being communicated in an extremely condescending way IMO.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Right, so it's more or less the caution clock from the Trucks last year but every 33% race distance rather than every 20 minutes and with points awards thrown in too.

It'll be more like 25%/25%/50% actually. The difference from the caution clock is that it matters for the championship if you're leading when the caution comes out/the segment ends, and that they'll close the pits a few laps before that happens to prevent teams taking advantage of the situation.

Alain Post posted:

I actually wouldn't mind it that much if they just straight up made them heat races. I guess it isn't that different, but still.

Right, in this respect I don't have a big problem with this format. It's just the way they chose to tell it to everyone was horrible. I posted about this in the NASCAR thread, but all they needed to do was say something like, "We're going to create three shorter, harder races within a single, traditional NASCAR race," which would have compactly explained their new format, addressed everyone's complaints that races are too long and drawn out, and resolved it with a promise that non-stop hard racing action is coming back.

Instead, NASCAR decided to frame the announcement as something all of the financial stakeholders are thrilled about…and oh by the way, our fans will like these "enhancements" too? I felt even more alienated towards NASCAR after watching that press conference.

ed- To keep this relevant to IndyCar: NASCAR has already tweaked its championship format with points gimmicks, and is now further using points gimmicks to spice up the racing. IndyCar has had to rely on that too (quali points at Indy, double points at Sonoma), but it's been a minor change compared to the major changes they've been doing with new cars, quality drivers, the Road to Indy program. I wonder what NASCAR would do if this didn't work? Because the minor changes to the points system are starting to become major changes to the sport, and if those don't work NASCAR doesn't have much to fall back on except contraction.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 25, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of these days, someone needs to sit down and run through the results for the past few years with double-points / Indy Qual points removed and see just how much it actually shook things up in terms of championships, instead of just having more drivers mathematically possible.

Easy enough to do. I whipped up tables for 2015 and 2016 which removed points for Indy qualifying, Indy's double points and Sonoma's double points. I also compared what the points looked like before and after the last race.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hgciccie97ZGR1LWpydXlaUlU/view?usp=sharing

Looks like Montoya well and truly got screwed in 2015.

ed- fixed math

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 26, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Honestly I think that the points should be based on money earned from race to race, but I'm kinda weird like that.

Like golf! At golf would never stoop to NASCAR's level and have playoffs at the end of their seaso—

gently caress me

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Meanwhile, in Boston...

Assault arrest warrant issued for Boston GP president

Tom Brady, you're next!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Andretti's crash at Mid-Ohio '98 :whitewater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBiXLikp2SM

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

I got my Long Beach tix ordered a few weeks ago, and im thinking long and hard (much like a boner) about Indy or Phoenix tix as well

Amateur! Everyone knows you're supposed to wait until the two weeks before Long Beach to get deeply discounted tickets. Last year I got a 3-day reserved seat near pit-in for $20 less than I would have spent on a 3-day GA.

Can we have an actual at Long Beach this year? I know there are more of you within distance than just Cygni.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

2017 Indycar Series: Our 500 is still 500 miles :smuggo:

The Indianapolis 500 In-A-Row

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWogdWo1ipA

Fond memories of watching this race in person :3:

Villneff

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Micheal Andretti is like Dan Marino in the NFL. Very successful as an individual, couldn't bring it home as a team with Indy 500 wins or championships.

Although I would argue that if Marino had won the Indy 500 that would be a hell of an accomplishment.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Shiiiit. Looks like I'm going to have to find a way out to Phoenix within the next few years.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

:siren: VISOR CAM :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1JY_UjEkl0

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I've seen it pointed out in a few other places quite a bit now, but all of these spins/crashes are happening coming into what would be the new start/finish line. That would make for an interesting photo finish.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I would like Sonoma a lot more than I do if it were than green and pretty all year round.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

njsykora posted:

You pick 4 drivers for each race with a $100 salary cap. Driver value is I think determined by championship position and recent form.

Start with: $100, 4 drivers remaining

First Pick: Marco Andretti

Now have: $100, 3 drivers remaining

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

That Paul Tracy Uber diss is still the best thing ever.

https://youtu.be/riGTNfBBQyY

Marco involved in another incident, getting REKT

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Briggs and Stratton.

Woah woah woah, Briggs and Stratton? He said only on manufacturer was interested!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836662476573827073

https://twitter.com/IndyOreo/status/836663118251999232

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wonder at what point, if any, a major race series just say gently caress It to broadcast TV altogether and sign the broadcast rights to someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime instead.

(I get that those two are more aimed at on-demand services than live broadcast, but that can always change)

Fuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnny you mention this. YouTube just announced a live TV service which will get you all the major broadcast and sports networks, 40+ in total, for $35 a month. Together with Sling, we're pretty much already at the point where people can watch races live over the internet.

Television is obviously shifting to Internet-based broadcasting and on-demand services. You can already watch official replays of all the races on YouTube. The next TV deal is going to be something that certainly includes more online access for live broadcasts. Probably something for mobile too with Verizon.

ed- a word

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 1, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

fashionable accidental double post

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

It's a money problem combined with poor foresight. They overpaid for the rights to a lot of things, then viewing habits switched from over the TV to over the internet. Cordcutters started hurting their subscriber revenue. To compensate they killed several good ventures, like Grantland. Nowadays their primary motivation is to chase new audiences (casuals, women) and keep eyeballs on the screen with trash programming (Stephen A. Smith) for ad revenue.

Personally, I've noticed I've been visiting ESPN's website a lot less within the past year or two, and that's even accounting for going to FiveThirtyEight a lot even outside of their political coverage. Once ESPN stopped specializing on news, scores, and highlights and started branching off into pop culture and lifestyle, especially after they killed Grantland, they were basically signalling that they didn't care about the above-average sports fan anymore.

Just consider how long they kept Marty Reid in the booth for ABC broadcasts after he demonstrated himself to be less than competent at the job. At this rate, that kind of dedication to excellence in broadcasting isn't that far down the road in other ESPN productions.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Very solid/rare pinball table, with Paul Page and Bobby Unser narration! Kicked my rear end a bit. Need to get me one.

I've been there, and I've played this. It's a loving rad game, dude!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

Oh yeah? My uncle works for Nintendo. :v:

My next door neighbor when I was growing up actually worked for Nintendo, in distribution and sales. He carried around a crate of NES games and we borrowed new ones from him from time to time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138618-prospects-rising-for-third-indycar-engine-supplier

Pruett with another tree shake for a third engine manufacturer. Seems to be gaining a little more traction now.

quote:

"I think a third [manufacturer] is important for lots of reasons," Miles said. "From the time I've been involved ... there's always a conversation with one or more of them, and I think we are at a point now with one of them that seems more promising, but further and more pointed than we've had before."

Although Miles wouldn't be drawn on the identity of the interested manufacturer, the car company is believed to be based in Europe.

"If we got something done in the first half of this year, you still wouldn't see them probably till 2019," he added.

He also brings up good point about the costs involved and what kind of potential ROI an incoming manufacturer would potentially get. Comparing it to NASCAR's situation was interesting, with the cost of sponsoring one Cup car with occasional exposure in a series in decline being the same as getting to badge several IndyCars and persistent exposure in a series on the rise.

There are only so many European manus that would fit with the open-wheel engine formula and be in the market for the value proposition buy-in to the series. This bit of info really narrows things down.

Alfa, I guess? Who else could fit this profile?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Fiat (Alfa), VW, and Mercedes were all in the manufacturer pow-wow they did before the 2.2l V6 formula was chosen. I don't think BMW, PSA, or Renault-Nissan were, as far as I remember.

I can't see VW getting back into mainstream racing anytime soon with the diesel scandal. Mercedes, maybe. Fiat is probably the front runner though. Alfa had a Super Bowl commercial and all of that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

Back when they first came bubbling up, I had the notion that Alfa wouldn't have to/need to partner with Penske/Ganassi/Honda, but could fit as a "third wheel" manufacturer that would more easily cater to mid-pack and new teams. ("Coyne" and "Alfa" are two words that fit together in my head perfectly.) Ideally you'd have a major team anchoring each engine, but I'd like to think that a third engine could eventually pave the way for a new major team to emerge.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

And completely agreed that any new manufacturer is going to want at least one large, established team. Penske is not up for grabs, which leaves Ganassi, Andretti, and maaaybe ECR if you consider them a big enough team.

This is what I was talking about. If Alfa comes in with a reputable engine maker like Cosworth, a team like ECR wouldn't be a bad pick as an anchor team. They have their poo poo together at Indy and the ovals, just as much as the big three. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that their two cars, together with Coyne, Juncos, and other Indy one-offs could make a solid contender of a package that may not necessarily be winning every race, but would always be competing—which is pretty much the status of those kinds of teams anyway.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Can anything possibly beat San Jose in abominable street circuits? Maybe that Chinese A1GP circuit with the unnavigable chicanehairpin? Boston (lol)?

ed- chicane != hairpin, derp

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 8, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

ABC/ESPN is, amazingly, doing new things to improve the production of race broadcasts this year. I guess ESPN isn't completely phoning it in yet.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/live-abc-telecast-open-verizon-indycar-series-season-st-petersburg/

quote:

ESPN’s production of the race telecast will introduce two new innovations to enhance the viewing experience for fans, including the first, exclusive usage of a predictive analytics system built especially for IndyCar racing that will bring viewers closer to the strategy that often determines race winners.

Designed for ESPN by Pit Rho, a technology company focused on the development of custom, predictive analytics solutions for the motorsports industry, the system will supplement the scoring tickers and graphics that race fans are accustomed to with additional information related to race strategy such as tire compound choices and laps on tires, fuel windows and optimal laps for pitting, as well as predictive analysis of positions, lap time falloff and probability of cautions.

Which means that computers will probably give more accurate strategy insights than Cheever and Goodyear. That's a plus.

quote:

Also new this season will be “Visor Cam,” a tiny camera mounted to a driver’s helmet, which will provide a unique view that will be used during ABC’s course description segment. Driver Josef Newgarden will be the first to utilize the camera for ABC as he drives the St. Petersburg circuit for a preview that will be recorded during practice for the event.

When I first read this, I thought they would be bringing back live in-race visor cam. It seems that this is just going to be the new 1080p/60fps visor cam that we've already been seeing from IndyCar during practice segments, just used as a precorded segment during the broadcast. Still, that'll be swell to see on TV.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIOxPjPF5A&t=48s
(this was after they ground it overnight, lol)

My favorite thing about this Derek Daly's reaction at the start of the race, marveling at the sheer dumbfounded spectacle.

Despite this, and because of it, San Jose is the biggest street course shitshow ever. Emergency chicanes, hardline passing rules into the hairpin that cars could barely get through, and even a reversal of the circuit. What a hot mess that one was.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Baltimore also added a chicane, but unlike San Jose it was actually a pretty good track for racing, or at least I thought so. I'm bummed it couldn't stay on the schedule.

And since you brought up Baltimore…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr05J9nvUhA

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I love that they refer to this as a new exciting innovation when we were getting TracyCam literally 15 years ago.

They're puffing it up for sure, but nowadays you can get way better picture and sound with less intrusive hardware. The visor cam videos this year have been amazing!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Audi is in kind of a weird spot after it pulled out of the WEC. They want to get out of works racing, but then they blast commercials about its racing heritage and then flirt with going Formula 1? If it pulled out of sportscar racing to double-down on domestic markets, like the United States, then maybe they'd be in the market for Indycar. If the pulled out of sportscar racing to go to F1 instead, why would they need Indycar?

Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Aston-Cosworth

mmmmmmmmm

• Locked thread