Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The PC27B is a great example of how having too many open options (chassis, engine, and tires) can leave even a perfectly capable team with completely uncompetitive garbage.

I honestly wonder which hurt Roger more, not qualifying for the '95 500 or that cluster gently caress of the whole '99 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

My bias opinion says not qualifying for the '95 500. It did turn my avatar into a drunk, anyway.

I mean, those '99 results certainly look like the doings of a drunk driver.

Poor Little Al.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWcWGDZS5o

Tony George and USAC really tried to kneecap Penske in an incredible way to make sure that would never happen again. This clip is incredible in terms of the two sides sniping at each other.

Also...I'm trying to find confirmation for this (Read: Cygni), but allegedly USAC was so pissed that "A FURRINER" engine manufacturer won in '94, that they really tried to gently caress over the car with the "Jap Tires" (Firestone) and "Jap engines" (Honda) which was partially why USAC penalized Scott Goodyear and Tasman on that last restart.

Person claimed to be a spotter, and said he could hear a few USAC officials muttering about it. I don't have proof, just hearsay.

(god I missed talking about IndyCar...)

In hindsight, I find it amazing that USAC insisted on maintaining that separate pushrod / stockblock ruleset for so long under the guise of encouraging engineering and diversity, but took every chance they could to cockblock Alfa and Porsche. The Beast probably only ran because Penske kept it so quiet for so long.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me until now, but that makes sense as to why Ganassi left Chevy. They must have felt, rightfully or not, that Penske was getting better support due to their rampant success.

And completely agreed that any new manufacturer is going to want at least one large, established team. Penske is not up for grabs, which leaves Ganassi, Andretti, and maaaybe ECR if you consider them a big enough team.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The question mark there is how does ECR do without Josef. I only put them that high because he was the highest non Penske car, but he was also ECR's only full time entry. At least they ran two cars in most races, unlike Rahal.

That leaves SPM as maybe the only other possible flagship team, and I don't think that'd be desirable enough for a new manufacturer in place of AA or Ganassi.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just wish we could get the car counts up again so we could bring back "Bump Day" and make "Pole Day" interesting.

Though...it feels like that's drat impossible to accomplish because i imagine the risk of DNQ would drive a lot of sponsors, etc away.

Yup. Let's be fair, it costs a hell of a lot more money to make a qual attempt today than it did 30 years ago or 40 years ago. Even 22 years ago, you could still easily get your hands on older cars and have a shot at getting in.

In this era where cars aren't changed much year to year, it lowers the costs for full time runners, while increasing the resale value of used cars. You also have zero options to buy your own engine.

If we had 25-28 full time cars, then I'd focus a bit more at increasing Indy-only runs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Which means that computers will probably give more accurate strategy insights than Cheever and Goodyear. That's a plus.

I mean, so would this:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

well on the bright side they'd of set the record for quickest safety truck response time

I'm pretty sure 0.000 seconds is still held by NASCAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xVnWEyOak

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Practice 1 going green soon :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0AC1WIHQbE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Time to first crash: 10 minutes

That thing was going around before he even got to the apex.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm really just wondering how hard Penske is sandbagging right now.

Also, so weird seeing the #14 without Sato in it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, I never got around to setting up a fantasy team.

Good race overall, even with Always Bad Coverage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ever wanted to say you've seen someone shoot some goo into JR Hildebrand's ear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLngqgpXa7o

You're welcome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Milwaukee sucks, bring back Fontana. That should be the 2nd race of the season after St Pete

Yup. Weather would be consistently good, not wet and not stupid loving hot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Will Power pushing past his gag reflex".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Running"

I mean, he's a class act and all, but I'd feel a bit better if he was using that ride for giving someone else a shot. The fact that Helio, JPM, and TK are all still very competitive there at 41-42 is more interesting to me than Buddy qualifying a solid 33rd out of 33 entered cars at age 49.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't. But that ride pretty much only exists because we need to have 33 entries.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

I'm surprised that the nose is that much shorter, going to make the cars look a good deal less 'darty' in oval trim.

Agreed, that was my first reaction too. Hope it isn't compromising driver foot protection to do so.

I do get a kick out of just how dramatically the DW12 can be changed while still being "a DW12". As much as I liked the days of new developments in chassis every year, the only thing the DW12 hasn't done yet is a 237.5MPH lap at Indy. And I'm not sure what that would prove to anyone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

It should be said to that back in the extreme development era the changes were incremental as well. In 1999 for example Adrian Fernandez's car in the early season was actually a Reynard 97i with 98i/99i aero and suspension parts and was very competitive.The tubs themselves were usually not radically different.

I was thinking more pre-IRL, late '80s / early '90s. To be fair, a lot of that dramatic change was the result of changing from skinned alloy frames to composite monocoque.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Indy Star has been a poo poo paper for a long time.

I mean, they published a photo of my brother watching Carb Day back in '93.

So at least that long.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In which TK lovingly fondles some carbon fiber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwR4PgtMZLw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar put up the '97 LBGP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGqlVM7DdM

"Possibly the most important race of the year" :sigh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Is this doing parenting right? :3:

Hell yes it is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

33 is gonna be a struggle

Indeed it is. :( Losing an ECR ride hurts a bit extra because that's one of the more competitive one-off cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

For the record, there's no requirement in the rules that teams use manufacturer-specific aero kits. They are free to use the stock Dallara aero (with the hole in the floor cut out). Granted nobody would do that since they'd be at a competitive disadvantage, but the option is there.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Spend the money for a one-race only effort, or don't and ensure that nobody wants to sponsor a nearly guaranteed loss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did Sage already delete that tweet?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

loving hell, that race.

I can't hate that top three but what the flying gently caress at the Andretti Honda problems.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reading through Racer, it seems like RHR's was actually an electric failure. Said he was able to fire it up again after some time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

Between Kimball and Stroll in F1 turning in on people on lap 1 this week, they should really put blind spot detection or something in these things. Not that it'd change anything, but it would at least eliminate the didn't-know-he-was-there excuse.

Watching that crash in more detail - first, :lol: at the photographer jumping back since Beetus pretty much hit right in front of him. Second, while it was really loving dumb of Power to stick his nose in there (see: RHR/Josef), Charlie took a super shallow line into the corner, and Power was way further alongside than Charlie seems to want to give him 'credit' for.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, I agree, Power shouldn't have tried that move after Kimball got ahead coming out of the fountain. But Charlie is not blameless here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't help (in that regard) that Long Beach seems to be one of the only tracks where pit strategy really is that varied. Most of the time the number of stops you need is pretty much a given, with the strategy only being when. It is possible at Long Beach to save just enough fuel to make two stops work, without running crazy slow... but if you three-stop it you can run hard enough to possibly make the ~35 second penalty for the third stop go away. Especially if the yellows go in your favor.

Also, I love that I get to type this: Sebastien Bourdais, in a Coyne car, is leading the championship by 19 points. Simultaneously, Will Power is only nine points ahead of last place.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 11, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Read my first article with my new affiliation jerkbags

I dunno about you, but parking for the aquarium over by turn 9 seems like a long way to walk compared to the parking garage right next to 3/4/5 :v:

Wish I could've gone this year. Couldn't swing it on a trip on my own, and my dad hit me up absolutely last second to see if I wanted to go with him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bernie must be loving livid right now.

This is awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently they're using an engine originally earmarked for Stefan Wilson to get this done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Although still significantly slower than the cancelled 01 CART race, where Tracy set a 22.542 in practice.

Wasn't the issue effectively 'negative G' relative to the drivers? Seems like lower banking might help.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

He will have a 30 lap battle with Takuma Sato for the lead only for both to be taken out by Sage Karam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRBWHhpoZ4&t=28s

(Can't find the much better video someone in here made five years ago)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Odd note on racecontrol:

quote:

Commentary: Please give feedback about continuing this run for the last half or not and/or alternative aero? Please get feedback to Bill/Tino/Rocket or via IM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I feel very amazed at how good of a guy Stef was to give up that seat.

Agreed. Reading between the lines on it, I suspect this came with a significant chunk of cash to make funding a 2018 ride much easier.

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress having a team get them on board as a second chassis manufacturer

After the Honda versus Chevy aero kits and the mess that made... eh. Seems like two chassis would just open the doors for costs to skyrocket again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Are we all excited as gently caress about what's happening here? When was the last time there was this much excitement and buzz around Indycar? Mansell, for sure. But anything like this between then and now? Reunification I guess?

Hyping my loving balls off over here. :woop:

WindyMan posted:

Indycar is coming up on a critical point. All of these owners are showing interest, but if there are still only Honda and Chevy and they can't stretch anymore to accommodate them, there will be problems. Good problems to have, but problems that really need to be solved if Indycar really wants to take advantage of the Alonso bump past Indy and this season.

As long as the third manufacturer isn't another Lotus situation. I still think the series utterly butchered that one. They could've just let them crank the boost to at least make a safe speed, and/or let HVM actually switch off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it helps that the 500 itself still has enough cachet to make drivers want to compete in it for the hell of it.

• Locked thread