Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Welcome to the Verizon IndyCar Series 2018 Pre-Season Thread!

2018 Schedule

Off-Season Testing Schedule (PDF)

2017 Fantasy IndyCar Podium

P1: Bentai (2,541)
P2: KingShibby (-73)
P3: Dudley (-209)

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

2018 Aero Kits

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Current Indy Lights Champion Ed Jones was awarded a 3 race scholarship in IndyCar this season, including the Indy 500. Jones was able to transform his scholarship into a full-time ride with Dale Coyne Racing. Now in its 3rd season, the Dallara IL-15 Chassis has received rave reviews and should better prepare drivers for the big leagues.

- Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine, 6-speed clutchless paddleshifting just like the big boys. The current Pro Mazda chassis will be retired after this season and will be replaced by an upgraded version of the new USF2000 car seen below.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. The Italian company Tattus was selected to build the new chassis for USF2000 to debut this season. This same chassis will also serve as the basis for the new Pro Mazda car in 2018.

New USF2000 car sans front wing since I was late to the reveal :saddowns:

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on Twitter (except for most goons)
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too.

IndyCar on TV

IndyCar Series
Booth: Leigh Diffey/Brian Till/Bob Varsha/Rick Allen (pre-NASCAR season), two of Townsend Bell/Paul Tracy/David Hobbs/Steve Matchett
Pits: Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Marty Snider (pre-NASCAR season), Katie Hargitt (during NASCAR on NBC season)

This has always been a bit of a hodgepodge, as NBC has too few people in too many places. Diffey is excellent and calls the majority of races except those which clash with F1 telecasts, for which he's also responsible, at which point Till or Varsha pinch hit. The most typical color analysts seem to be Bell and Tracy, though Hobbs and Matchett make occasional appearances. Matchett's giddiness at Fontana last year was fun.

Indy Lights
Booth: Kevin Lee, Anders Krohn
Pits: Katie Hargitt

Much like NBC does with NASCAR's K&N and Modified series, Indy Lights races are shown in condensed, one-hour shows on tape delay. Check local listings. (Watch the race at Indianapolis.)
There's also a quarterly highlights show for USF2000 and Pro Mazda which is pretty good.

Lights races can be seen internationally on these networks:

quote:

SPORTSNET – Canada
ESPN – Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela
SPEED – Australia
SKY SPORT – New Zealand

IndyCar Series
Booth: Allen Bestwick, Eddie CheeseburgerCheever, Jr., Scott Goodyear
Pits: Jon Beekhuis, Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch
Host: Lindsay Czarniak (Indianapolis 500 Pre-Show)

ABC continues their longtime coverage of IndyCar racing, but are pretty much only in it at this point for the Indy 500. They've gone in recent years from the full schedule to only covering St. Pete, the Month of May, and Belle Isle. Still, Allen Bestwick, the guy who turned NBC down for NASCAR coverage to call the Indianapolis 500. Wish we could hear him more. Other than Indy 500 Qualifying, ABC doesn't broadcast any qualifying :smith:.

Indy Lights
:laffo:

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Paul Page is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Internet-Based Viewing Options
Whenever practice/qualifying isn't broadcasted on TV, Timing & Scoring carries live streaming video. Also check the IndyCar YouTube page for more videos and live streaming.

Previous Threads
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Team Lineup
Check the 2nd post.

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Gateway, new USF2000 car, FERNANDO loving ALONSO
:rip: Bryan Clauson, Justin Wilson, Laguna Seca, Night Before the 500, KVSH Racing?

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Io edit:

2018 RIDES:

Limited Schedule teams
Juncos
??: Kaiser (500 + Indy GP + 2 other races)
??: Rene Binder (4 races)

Shank-SPM:
60: Harvey (6 race deal)

Potential New Teams

Notable Free Agents and Drivers That Have Expressed Interest:
  • Aleshin** (ex-SPM, likely done)
  • Claman DeMelo (Lights)
  • Davison (Lights, 500 runner)
  • Daly** (ex-Foyt)
  • Gutierrez** (ex-DCR, rumored to return)
  • JR** (ex-ECR, likely done)
  • Palmer** (ex-F1, Would bring funding)
  • Sage** (:barf:)
  • Servia** (working with SPM)
  • Saavedra**
  • Urrutia (possible full time)
  • Vautier**

500 Only Rides
  • Ryan Blaney (Interested, would be with Penske)
  • Danica
  • Helio (Penske)
  • Kyle Larson (Interested, would be with CGR)
  • JPM :smith: (possibly with SPM)
  • Mann (likely)
  • Munoz (Andretti)
  • Tony Stewart (Says he has a ride, unknown with whom)
  • Wilson (Andretti)

*Likely but not confirmed by the team itself
**Either has spent a full season prior in Indy, F1, or is a previous Lights champion

So, as it currently stands:
-20 full time rides
-1 ovals only ride (Ed Carpenter)
-1 road course only ride (Jordan King)
-1 one full time ride open (Dale Coyne)
-3 part time rides
-4 confirmed 500 only rides (28 total)
-5 unconfirmed 500 only rides (33 total assuming all unconfirmed rides happen)

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 8, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

njsykora posted:

I hate that Josef's move is gonna have me cheering for a Penske driver.

While you're at it, cheer for this guy (and little guy) too

Beau William Power

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Initial concept designs for the 2018 updates to the DW12

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Minto Took posted:

FCA is also rumored to come back to NASCAR, so I wouldn't rule out Alfa.

Yeah I heard they're producing a diesel powered car for NASCAR joking

freeranger posted:

Do you ever think we will see IndyCar return to the Champ Car days of doing international races? Or will this just lead to bankrupting the series quicker?

I obviously miss having a race here in Australia, but I also miss the days of them racing at the Twin Ring etc.

There's always talk about adding more international races, but IndyCar will only do it if all parties involved will make money which requires sponsorship. I'd love to attend a race at Surfer's or Twin Ring, but those processes take a long time.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
That would make sense why Sam Schmidt had a "Make America Great Again" hat hanging from the back of his chair...

Edit: He was a bad enough dude to run the DOOM livery for the Month of May

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I have a feeling if he signs, they'll at least try to arrange to get him onto an oval for testing the waters. Something smaller like Phoenix or Iowa.

He was at the Iowa race last year, and I remember hearing him say that he had no interest in being a man ovals

Dudley posted:

Is there any crowdfunding?

Because I'm going to NEED to see Pastor at Indy.

He'll be at the Indy GP if that counts :downs:

Although once you're at The Happiest Place on Earth during the Month of May, there has to be some sort of temptation and hopefully he'll come to his senses if he hasn't already ruined his car during Indy GP weekend...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Fuzzy singlehandedly keeping the Cleveland Post Office in business

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017 - The Indy 500 Snake Pit Presented by Coors Light is proud to announce the official lineup for 2017! EDM superstars ZEDD and MARSHMELLO will headline, along with support by RL GRIME, ACTION BRONSON, ADVENTURE CLUB and THE TRAP HOUSE, in addition to wrestling legend RIC FLAIR as the special emcee. The Snake Pit will take place over Memorial Day Weekend, on Sunday, May 28, during the 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

code:
101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Presented by PennGrade Motor Oil

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Also we are 1 week away from the Phoenix Open Test!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Major change in Push-to-Pass announced today!

IndyCar Rule Book posted:

Push-to-pass overtake assist in road and street races will be based on a maximum time allotment for each car instead of the number of uses. The events at the streets of St. Petersburg, Raceway at Belle Isle Park and Sonoma Raceway will have a total overtake time allotment of 150 seconds for each race, with the other road/street races set for 200 seconds. When a driver engages the overtake via a button on the steering wheel, it increases engine turbocharger boost pressure by 15 kilopascals (kPa) to 165 kPa - good for about 60 added horsepower. Once engaged, push-to-pass will run for a pre-established duration equivalent to approximately the time needed to drive the length of the track's main straightaway (15-20 seconds). Drivers will now have the ability to disengage an overtake activation midway through its use to save time for a later use. In addition, push-to-pass will not be available at the start of a race or for any restarts, with the exception of a restart commencing with two laps remaining in the race.

Oh man you're gonna see more passing with P2P this year, especially since drivers can cancel it to save time.

Also Phoenix & Gateway qualifying will be on the same day as the race

quote:

Qualifying at two oval tracks - Phoenix Raceway and Gateway Motorsports Park - will be held on the same day as those Saturday night races. The first day of those two-day event weekends will focus on a pair of practice sessions, the latter falling within the same evening time slot as the race.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I'm kind of happy they're combining qualification and racing into the same day. Race day last year at Phoenix had huge gaps of nothing going on.

There will be even less going on this year since Indy Lights isn't returning to Phoenix. I'm not going back this year for the race, but I will be there this weekend for the open test :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I should really hit Long Beach again. I should.

Long Beach was such a great time, I'd love to go back if it wasn't so drat expensive...

This year I plan on trying to add more comedy questions into my interviews. So if anyone has any good comedy questions that I can ask people (that won't get my rear end kicked), post them here and I might just ask your question! I plan on interviewing people by asking 3 questions: 2 serious, 1 comedy

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Reminder that there is testing at Phoenix going on this weekend. Test sessions both days run from 3-6 and 8-11 p.m. ET. Saturday is free to the public, with gates opening at 2 p.m. ET and with an all-driver autograph session taking place between practices. Live video streaming (without commentary) of all practice sessions will be available at http://racecontrol.indycar.com

Also introducing the #1 car of Simon Pagenaud

And the new sponsor of Scott Dixon, the color white.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Looks like the test will have timing AND video (?!)

Timing and video, but no commentary

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Josef Newgarden fastest in P1 at 190.129mph :patriot:
Marco Andretti fastest No-Tow Lap at 187.305mph :patriot:

Also Dixon sporting his KKK attire

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 11, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Mikhail Aleshin pretty much just blamed Obama for the hold up in his SMP Racing offseason sponsorship issues

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Fastest in the evening practice session is :staredog: Marco Andretti

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yeah that visor cam is pretty sweet. Graham did set the 2nd fastest overall lap and fastest no-tow lap in last night's session.

Today they have Helio doing the official groundbreaking on the $178mil upgrade project here. Helio will be doing it in an excavator so I'll be sure to bring my camera to that madness...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Helio just got done channeling his inner AJ

Edit: Hard crash for Rossi exiting Turn 1 going into 2

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 11, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/jdepouw/status/830514204683677696

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

now Rahal in the wall. maybe dont crash in an open practice day that doesnt mean anything, just my advice 2 them

There's only 1 cameraman here covering the whole track, and he didn't catch Rahal losing it on the exit of T2. Fortunately someone up in the stands caught it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZLbyLgT_U/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Taku is the 3rd victim of Turn 2 today

And Newgarden nearly took out Bourdais, that's what happens when you try to pass someone around here...

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

now add JR to the list of victims today. quite the repair bill for this test.

It's all my fault for asking him to remove his hat so I could see his mullet

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Best part of the weekend

That loving hair is amazing even if I had to potentially burn a bridge to get the shot

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I saw Pigot at Phoenix, but didn't get a chance to talk to him. He's a good, young driver and needs to stay around for awhile.

WindyMan posted:

I would like Sonoma a lot more than I do if it were than green and pretty all year round.

I'd like to go to Sonoma this year, but yeah it looks like a desert in September

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No sponsor money is worth drinking 101 Miller beers

Only if it's 101 High Life's and I've already been drinking

EDIT: It should also be noted that Miller is the official sponsor of IndyCar as a whole, so just picture every driver in front of that cooler. Probably should be Hinch doing that promo

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 20, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I doubt Hinch can bring himself to openly endorse any beer other than:

Sadly I've had Hammerdown and it's an average beer at best :saddowns:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yes Fantasy will return this year, just waiting on the website to reset for 2017. This year I'll have to set some kind of reminder to actually make my picks on weekends I'm at the track :suicide:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bestwick does a solid job, as does the coverage of the actual event. But ESPN proper doesn't seem to acknowledge it even exists, which is kinda tragic...

Yeah I like Bestwick and I'm still working up the nerve to actually talk to him.
For the 100th Running last year SportsCenter did do their broadcasts live from IMS, which was the most ESPN coverage of IndyCar I've seen in well over a decade.

We all knew that ABC/ESPN was just waiting for the 100th Running to come and go so they could shed their contract in favor of more baseball

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Flikken posted:

That sucks, I watch the races with an antenna so I got the ABC races but not the ones on NBCSN

Same here, really hoping that NBC broadcast gets some races

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Fantasy IndyCar is back for 2017!

Go here to register then go here and enter the code LLJK to join our league.

Our league name is Formula Juan and Friends

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, March 10 - Sunday, March 12

Track: Streets of St. Petersburg, 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit (clockwise) through downtown St. Petersburg, Florida.
Race Distance: 110 laps / 198 miles

Entry List: Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (PDF)

Push-to-Pass Parameters: 150 seconds of total time with a max time of 15 seconds
Firestone Tire Allotment: Seven sets primary, four sets alternate

Twitter: @GPSTPETE, @IndyCar, #FirestoneGP, #IndyCar
Event Website: https://www.gpstpete.com

2016 Race Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya (No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet)
2016 Verizon P1 Award Winner: Will Power (No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet), 1 minute, 0.2450 seconds, 107.561 mph
One-Lap Qualifying Record: Will Power, 1:00.0658; 107.882 mph, March 12, 2016 (Set in Round 2 of Qualifying)

ABC Race Broadcast: Sunday, March 12 (Noon ET)

quote:

Allen Bestwick is the lead announcer for ABC broadcasts for the fourth consecutive year alongside analysts Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever Jr. Pit reporters are Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch and Jon Beekhuis.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts: Mark Jaynes is the chief announcer alongside analyst Davey Hamilton. Pit reporters are Nick Yeoman, Brad Gillie and Michael Young, with Jake Query as the turn announcer. All Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on network affilaites, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Video Streaming: All practice sessions for the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg will be available on the INDYCAR YouTube channel and https://racecontrol.indycar.com. Live coverage of qualifying will also be available via live streaming.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Yeah every St. Pete brings up memories of Dan :rip:

But in a happier note, Susie Wheldon is opening up a boutique in St. Pete this weekend that I plan on checking out

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-07-Verve-opening

quote:

The new project in Susie Wheldon’s life is full of black and white but not as many checkers as some of her others.

Wheldon is opening Verve, a boutique in the hip, growing Edge District in downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. There’s a casual cool about her new space, much like Wheldon herself. Male and female shoppers can pick up fashionable, casual pieces. Her “elevated streetwear” looks include premium denim, high-end T-shirts as well as skirts, dresses and accessories in mainly black, white and grays. None of racing’s checkered flags, though. Not so far.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Marco is good at peaking early. He'll start out fast, then plateau while everyone else gets faster

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

And now.. a nearly one month wait for the next race. I really wish it was like 2 weeks to Barber, then 2 weeks to Long Beach, feels like a better use of the calendar. :smith:

Can't wait to go back to Barber even if it's 6 weeks away :smith:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Well worth the trip to Texas for 72% of a race, that finish was insane in person

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Milwaukee sucks, bring back Fontana. That should be the 2nd race of the season after St Pete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Another reason I loving love Will

• Locked thread