Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Derani to test with SSM for their third car: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138274-derani-set-for-sebring-indycar-test-with-spm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Juncos story confirmed, will enter 2 cars in the 500. One very likely for Kyle Kaiser, other seat open for someone with money.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138277-juncos-confirms-indycar-series-entry

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I believe the test is at Honda's request/funding. Also Aleshin's car is about to get unveiled, so Derani and Dorrbecker are both testing for a third car.

Sam has the open wheel rights for this year and next year for both of em, and apparently wants to run them both later in the year on road courses.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

Dorrbecker of course is the guy whose last win was ahead of a 13 year old Minardi being driven by a guy who owns a supermarket.

I'm sure he'll be great.

It's been a few years since we've had a real poo poo tier ride-buyer, get AMPED!! Coletti was pretty fast on occasion, same with Huertas and Rodolfo Gonzalez. I guess Dracone would be the last.

It's pretty amazing that 2 years from Dracone, Coyne is now running the Indy Lights champion and a guy with 35 IndyCar/ChampCar wins.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Guy who north american openwheel really shoulda hung on to Robert Wickens is also going to test an SSM car at Sebring, with Hinch then testing Wicken's DTM car in Italy after St Pete.

SSM really maximizing their extra test allotment for first time drivers, ha.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138315-hinchcliffe-wickens-set-for-indycar-dtm-ride-swap

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RHR seizing Gentilozzi assets, lol

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138322-hunter-reay-wins-protracted-suit-against-gentilozzi

My dad ran Gentilozzi's GTP Lights team in 86 as Whitehall Rocketsports, with his longtime friend Skeeter McKitterick and this Alba AR5 Olds. I'm pretty sure he still complains to this day that Gentilozzi never paid the crew the prize money he owed them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Everybody testing an IndyCar these days. The extra new driver test days have certainly added some fun to the off season, even if the tests arent serious. Ricky Taylor tested a Penske car at the HMS road course today:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/02/02-23-Taylor-Penske-test

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

indycar merged 9 years ago. tony george and his staff were removed from control of indycar 7 years ago. and CW is still goin'....

imagine being that lovely at living

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Panoz was owned by Don Panoz, hence the name. It was just a brand name of cars made by the consolidated Elan, Van Diemen, and G-Force groups. Together they were Elan Motorsports Technologies. The whole group was sold with Road Atlanta, Sebring, the ALMS assets, the racing schools, etc to NASCAR.

Ganassi helped fund the initial Delta Wing, but that's it. He bailed when Nissan and everyone else did I believe.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its been kinda bizarre watching ESPN disintegrate, they seems so unstoppable and ubiquitous 10ish years ago

not that them ditching IndyCar specifically means they are disintegrating (nobody watches indycar, afterall), i just meant more in general

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Non-story story, but IndyCar looking for more network coverage and single partner for the next TV deal (2019 on)

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138439-indycar-miles-looking-at-single-tv-partner

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dorrbecker:

(aleshin is going to run the awesome red scheme this year, without the Carlos Slim stickers/money obvi)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thats Stefan Wilson's chassis from the 500 with front and rear roadcourse wings from the 11? Also all of Stef's pit equipment from last year is up, but none of the 11's stuff, guessing that went to Juncos.

You can tell when a team really is tits up when they list their machining equipment and cabinets. :( sad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Very solid/rare pinball table, with Paul Page and Bobby Unser narration! Kicked my rear end a bit. Need to get me one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

You hit the pinball museum in Vegas today eh?

Oh you know it bud. I try to go whenever I'm in town.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ganassi wasn't joking when he was saying that Dixon's cars would have some familiar sponsors from the Target rotation. GE will be on the 9 for St Pete:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

from 2007-2011, indycar ran a series mandated muffler

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fiat (Alfa), VW, and Mercedes were all in the manufacturer pow-wow they did before the 2.2l V6 formula was chosen. I don't think BMW, PSA, or Renault-Nissan were, as far as I remember.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If I was a manufacturer, I would not bother entering IndyCar without Penske, Ganassi, or Andretti as an anchor, regardless of who else you can snag or bring into the series. Andretti is obviously the least desirable of the three, but they at least have the staff, cars, and institutional knowledge/experience to get you up and running. Without one of those, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Rumors on TF and other places mentioned the aerokit cost and lack of an available anchor as factors that kept the mystery 3rd engine from jumping in earlier, and that seems pretty logical.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's the history overall of FCA involved in IndyCar/Indy 500 racing?

I can recall Chrysler and Dodge both being pace cars. (1991, 1996). I also know full well about Alfa Romeo's background, how it was originally a project by Enzo Ferrari, etc.

Has Dodge proper ever entered into the Indy 500? Their history doesn't seem to pop up like Ford, Chevy or Buick, so i'm a bit curious.

LUCKY FOR YOU i have a gigantic 500 chronicle and nothing to do with my life!! Lets break it down by FCA brand.

• FIAT

There was a Fiat in each of the first two 500's. In fact, a Fiat driven by Teddy Tetzlaff would finish 2nd in the 1912 500. The baller rear end LA native himself:

There would be one more Fiat entered in 1925. No word if they also had those bad rear end sweaters.

• Chrysler

The first Chrysler shows up in 1930 driven by Roland Free:

Chrysler's would be entered in 31-33 as well. Best finishs looks to be in '33 when Paul Riganti finished 14th. Chrysler pulled out of racing due to the depression in 33, and wouldnt be back for a looooong time.

• Alfa

Alfa has a long, long history at Indy. Their first entry is in '37, driven by Rex Mays:

Alfa would make starts every year betwen 37 and 48. They would of course return in 90-91 briefly with Patrick Racing.

• Ferrari

Ferrari has 1 career start in the 500, running the legendary Alberto Ascari in a slightly changed Ferrari 375F1 in 1952, as the 351 was no longer eligible for F1 due to rule changes. Four cars were brought over from Europe with the factory team, but only Ascari qualified. They DNFed early when Ascari spun and broke the cars left front hub.

(suck it ferrari)

• AMC

Yes, that AMC. Did you forget they were absorbed by Chrysler? AMC was approached by Champion Spark Plugs about building a 209ci Iron-block Turbo V8 for the 500. Champion had determined that a 209 high pressure turbo would be the best way to exploit the current formula. Built in Long Beach, the engines proved more powerful than anything else in the field, but the crazy weight made the car uncompetitive in the corners. Engines were entered from 76-79

• Maserati

Saving the best for last!

Of all the FCA brands, Maserati undoubtedly has the longest and most successful history. Maseratis were staples for a long time period, ironically competing side by side with future conglomerate cousin Alfa for most of their time. They would be a strong presence from 37-49, but their highlight is of course the back to back wins of Indy 500 legend Wilbur Shaw. Shaw piloted an absrudly beautiful candy apple red Maserati to wins in 1939 and 1940.

Wilbur Shaw would of course go on to essentially single handedly save much of American racing (debatable) and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (undebatable) when he convinced a local grocer and coffee producer from Terra Haute named Tony Hulman to purchase a dilapidated IMS after WW2 for $750k. For his efforts, Shaw was appointed President of IMS and served in the role until he died 54, presiding over the speedway's transformation into the biggest race in the world.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

No. Nothing was worse better than San Jose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIOxPjPF5A&t=48s
(this was after they ground it overnight, lol)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iirc some people got fired cause of that incident

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that video makes me excited for the aeroscreens in 2018, weirdly

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gottdamn, Power did a lot of damage for such a small hit

e: looked worse than it was i guess, hes rollin

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 10, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I imagine we will get a more realistic picture when people use their red set in practice 2. Not gonna sandbag with those when you only get 1 chance on them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if you're trying to attract another OEM, thats definitely the set up you want... trying not to get too hopeful

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sato off his game, didnt crash until the 2nd practice of the year

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anthony Martin looked pretty good winning his first ever Pro Mazda race. Won 7 US F2000 races last year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sooo group 2 is a bloodbath

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New F2000 cars look pretty agressive and cool on track. Green for Race 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKtqt7kqL0

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bourdais :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helio and Sipag miss Q2, bloodbath session delivers

e: 9 hondas, 3 chevies in the fast 12

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 11, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hey now there is no need to point fingers... Kimball and Rahal are BOTH stupid as hell

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Newgarden in fuel save for sure

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also I'm watching the race on BT and their commenters during commercial breaks are actually noticing passes instead of talk about STORYLINEZZ

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pigot having an awesome drive. Passed like 6 cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Welp, leaders are boned

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bourdais closing in :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

This coverage sucks.

I recommend getting one of the pirate BT streams. They don't stop coverage during the millions of commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The leaders all day were Hinchcliffe and Bourdais... Honda looking strong, and season lookin fun

• Locked thread