Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

Oval rain tires, dammit. Drivers go as fast as they dare.

Brian Barnhart agrees, but wants to just use slicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Much less of an accident than Helio's career at Penske. People knew Dixon was really talented so he probably would've been picked up by one of the big teams eventually.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

i went to TF to see if some goober had already posted a "MAYBE CARL IS COMING TO INDYCAR" post, and there was already a 26 post thread about it. drat, theyre quick.

also a potential young Mexican driver with Carlos Slim support testing for SSM's third car:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137620-indycar-auto-gp-champ-to-test-with-spm

seems to have been driving all over the place with mixed results, but some wins. apparently won the Auto GP title last year, which i forgot existed.

I remember AutoGP was pretty weak back when I first heard about it (probably when Pippa Mann contested the Sonoma rounds way back when). Can't imagine the field has become much stronger.

e: LOL in the 2016 season only 9 drivers started a race in the series and only 2 drivers competed in all of the rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Auto_GP_Formula_Open_Championship

gret fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 11, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

When Kimiya Sato absolutely dominates a season there is a problem.

Managed by world renowned shitposter Taki Inoue...

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I like CotA.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Buy all the shares of Dallara stock.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

wicka posted:

Who the heck spends money on a custom title for another poster and makes it ALL TEXT?

You're just asking for somebody to buy you an all-text custom title.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DCR 1-2 :getin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Gentilozzi always seemed a bit skeezy. Doesn't he own or use to own a bunch of strip clubs too? Still, stiffing a young driver was a majorly lovely thing to do.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Geely or Great Wall Motors.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think I'm the only IndyCar fan who likes the look of the rear bumpers. v:shobon:v

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wish IndyCars could get guys like Rosenqvist and Gasly to slum it over here instead of in Japan.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Although Mercedes Benz was a supplier in the CART days, I don't really see a great reason for them to get back into American open wheel racing. Alfa seems more reasonable given the recent reintroduction of their brand back to the U.S. market.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So hh gregg just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Can't be good for their sponsorship deal with Andretti.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

My favorite thing about this Derek Daly's reaction at the start of the race, marveling at the sheer dumbfounded spectacle.

Despite this, and because of it, San Jose is the biggest street course shitshow ever. Emergency chicanes, hardline passing rules into the hairpin that cars could barely get through, and even a reversal of the circuit. What a hot mess that one was.

I went to the next two races held there and it was fun. It was kinda weird that the paddock was in the convention center, and the crew would work on the cars in there. Saw Katherine Legge jump out of a trailer in there and ambush her crew with a spray bottle.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

:siren: IndyCars on track at St. Petersburg :siren:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The fastest 4 cars are Hondas, as are 8 of the 10 fastest cars.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There was a kid named Sting Ray Robb in the Pro Mazda race.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL Marco.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CactusWeasle posted:

I had no idea the race was this early

Me neither. Went onto Indycar's live streaming page and was surprised when the leaderboard of the Indycar race was on instead. I don't remember St. Pete being on this early before.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ugh. Hate this yellow flag lottery.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Siigh. ABC provides no mechanism for streaming live with a PS Vue subscription, only previously aired poo poo, even on their own app. This is why we can't have nice things.

It should be streaming on WatchESPN.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

HPD >>> Honda Japan.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah and I think they still owe IndyCar and/or Andretti a bunch of money.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Charlotte roval.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Max Chilton second fastest in the afternoon!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I have no idea what's going on. Surely some social media influencer isn't dropping $100k+ to sponsor a car?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/850180973182328833

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hot drat. This is the biggest positive boost in PR for IMS, the Indy 500, and IndyCars in a long time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

In any case Super Formula is arguably a better place than IndyCar for F1 teams to stash drivers. No ovals or bumpy street circuits, the cars are faster, etc.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I hope she's just trolling... right?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somebody invite Jenna to the F1 thread. She'd fit right in.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It's astonishing she got so many facts wrong. Did she not bother to call Andretti or IMS to confirm? I mean, she's writing for the AP for crying out loud.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL Jenna still being all butthurt on twitter.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

He's fine as long as he's not defending NBC's F1 coverage.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Mario is pretty mad at Jenna. https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mario-andretti-livid-over-critical-alonso-indy-500-column-895959/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Norns posted:

I'm so stoked for Nando to be racing in the 500 I'm getting tickets.

You guys recommend general admin for my first live indy race?

Where and what should I eat?

I think having a seat in the grandstand is probably a better way to go.

Somebody posted this earlier:

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I sat in Upper H Stand, Sec 22, Row Z last year, and was quite happy. It was too far away to see the pole, but the view of turn 4 and the pit entrance was excellent. I just did a search for Upper H Stand, and came up with Sec 24, Row Y (approximate view - the fence is closer in reality), which is even further from the pole, but would compensate with a better view of the turn 4 entrance.

Tip: If at all possible, get a seat close to the aisle (at least in regards to H Stand, numbers closer to 1 - sections there are paired, with each one being 15 seats long). The bleachers are crammed like sardines. Also, absolutely wear sun protection, hearing protection (unless you're half-deaf already), and bring or rent a cushion. Plenty of water too. A covered seat is far preferable, if you can find one. In fact, I also did a search for C Stand, and found some covered, high row seats (approximate view). Better pit viewing than H Stand for sure, though I personally prefer seeing the turns up close.

I've only been once, so you'll need ask/look around for info not about turn 4 or the front straight. Try futzing around with that 3D viewer, this guide, and the available tickets until you find a sweet spot.

And don't forget about parking. You can buy a pass, though be warned that the closer to the lots you get, the worse the traffic is. If you want to park quicker, there's a good amount of unofficial parking available (people's front yards), at similar prices to the official parking.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I assume Sato's ride is fully paid for, so it's really just 2/4, which is still not great.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think NBCSN shows qualifying on tape delay so they can pack in as many ads as possible into the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IndyCar isn't F1 and that's OK.

• Locked thread