Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is this thread by plutonis?
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Let's keep the thread from getting gassed.

Not Best Girl, but it'll do.

But Satella is the best girl :confused:

It's pretty amateurish that she's wearing the wrong color, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/kazz_10za/status/814864537698516992

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I don't know the character, but her eyebrows are on POINT.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
is that a Four?

i like

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Look at her face, she knows exactly how much of a fuckin' national shame she is.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Bucketsuu~

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Yes the helmet opens and closes

This guy's worksmanship is pretty great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

X

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

More good Holo by Atai cosplay :3:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

loving nailed it.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Happy new year, chat thread. Have a little service.

Is Free! still a thing? Sure, why not. X

I know FF is.

X

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

X

X

X

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait a minute....

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's an accurate cosplay

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tawawa on Monday

https://twitter.com/kaztsu/status/815710988334829568

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

A good Tawawa :3:

(unk source)

mermaid NozoxEli

X & X

X
She pops up in my feed a lot. Dunno why.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jK0ApLJn0g

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

That's super cool!

I've begun organizing a bunch of pics.

X

X

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

These are some ins anely sexy cosplay pics here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Takoluka posted:

These are some ins anely sexy cosplay pics here.

Here is some Luka and Marie cosplay for your name and avatar respectively.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakamoto

Mikataka hazekura

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

He's so cool :swoon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So why is it a lot of anime cosplay their materials don't look "real" when in real life? Like, they don't look like something someone would make for a consumer to be worn everyday. Even some school uniforms seem to sometimes make me squint in perplexity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Because art doesn't have to obey common constraints like "is this physically possible" or "would this be wearable" and artists can just draw whatever strikes their fancy, and the whole point of cosplay outfits is that they end up looking like the art they're based off.

People also make a lot of stuff from craft store material instead of necessarily using the same kind of materials that would go into making the clothes/outfit if it were a real outfit manufactured in real life, or make material and colour choices based on how something looks in art that is not actual real-life filmed footage.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 4, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Raenir Salazar posted:

So why is it a lot of anime cosplay their materials don't look "real" when in real life? Like, they don't look like something someone would make for a consumer to be worn everyday. Even some school uniforms seem to sometimes make me squint in perplexity.

On top of all of the above, lots of cosplayers take photos into consideration when making things. Some fabric types, paints, materials, and colors look better in photos than they do in real life. Given how we consume the art, it's often a prudent choice.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Pen pen!

X

Uuuuuh I forgot her name. I'll find it somewhere.

:nws: I'm pretty sure this is SFW, but there's a teeny bit of Nero butt. So it's linked.
Here's a SFW Nero from the same lady.

X

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Keep in mind that cosplaying is an expensive hobby, even if you don't go all-out and start getting poo poo 3D printed for your costumes or whatever. An artist can perfectly tailor a character's outfit (and frequently do for aesthetic/storytelling purposes), whereas getting every piece to fit you like a glove might not be possible for your average cosplayer. Megan Coffey's Olivier upthread is a good example of this: it's pretty well put-together in terms of details, but it looks frumpy and wrinkled in a lot of places, which is a (totally understandable) consequence of not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on custom-tailored stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yep! And very specifically, I'm pretty sure she bought that uniform because she really really didn't want to make it. She seems to enjoy making the custom stuff more.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here's a classic

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
thanks burbo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Burbs you're the best and now I wanna find that hairy man Ryuko from AX 15.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 5, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and the following year:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Vermain posted:

it's pretty well put-together in terms of details, but it looks frumpy and wrinkled in a lot of places,

This goes right back to material choice again. Thin cheap bullshit will always look like thin cheap bullshit, and probably means you can't really iron it either.

Some material will just never lay or fit right, and good luck fusing a collar. The Mikitaka just above looks like it was made with that metallicized spandex, which just makes the wrinkles look even worse when it's not something skin-tight (go figure the stuff is dirt cheap). Stretch materials are a great way to cheat a fit, but you always need non-stretch if you're trying to make a certain shape.

Another issue is overblowing a color just because of how it appears in the art. Olivier's and Mikitaka's uniforms would be navy blue, but closer to black, just like Sakamoto's. They use a lot of blue in the official colorations because you'd just have an amorphous black blob otherwise (also, black ink is expensive, which is why Dick Tracy wore yellow). It goes back to cerulean being the only seemingly useful blue in a box of Crayolas, because I know I was a dumbshit kid who didn't understand lighting or contrast.

If you're buying a China prefab costume, you're getting thin cheap bullshit in the most apparent overblown color, guaranteed.

Vermain posted:

consequence of not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on custom-tailored stuff.

When you're spending <$10/yard, the tailoring isn't the problem.

What you run into is a sort of 'Practicality Uncanny Valley', where it looks okay but you know it'd never fit the real purpose or withstand day-to-day wear. Anime and manga just happen to be a source where practicality is already shaky.

Goddamn I miss sewing real things.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 5, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I know how you feel - I have many similar thoughts while choosing materials for my cosplays. But at a certain level, cosplay is about having fun.

They have the costumes, they have fun taking photos and posing in the costumes, and cool. I'll then post the pictures in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah that was the part I wanted to throw in but forgot: Do at least have fun.

My ranting came mostly from that mention that cosplay is expensive because of tailoring, which is silly unless you've never sewn in your life and/or don't own a single machine. What might get expensive is materials that look, lay, and feel right, and cheap polyester that you can't even iron just makes everything harder.

Currently trying to find a pattern or basic idea for how to do that weird cavalry uniform/nehru collar for my Nephrite, which I've been promising to do for years now.

• Locked thread