Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

yeah that seems like the right emote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I found Spring and Chaos to be a little too navel gaze-y even for my tastes, but there's a scene in the middle that rules a lot

https://my.mixtape.moe/pyivtx.webm

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

are you going to watch Mike Toole's entire list

It's a lofty goal but I might try it over the course of the year!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think there must have been some sort of Takahashi anniversary recently or something, because there was a lot more Lum & Maison Ikkoku merch than I would have expected. I mean, not a ton, but a definite presence. I do wish I'd bought the good Lum card sleeves.

Looks like Inuyasha turned 20 last year and Ranma turns 30 this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been thinking of streaming stuff again with the theme of episodic anime, so that could happen sometime in the future.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm doing my best by going through the list of movies in the recent Mike Toole article on ANN

I'll be accomplishing the impossible: Sitting through the entirety of Odin: Space Sailer Starlight

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I have that on vhs lol

lol

vhs feels....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

but not in one sitting

I'm only human!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What list? I've followed that guy on twitter for awhile now but never bothered to read his articles until today.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-03-19/.113010

His column is incredibly good, dude loves to talk about a lot of obscure stuff. The premise of his list is that he saw this list https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/01/the-100-best-anime-movies-of-all-time.html

and decided, yeah there's a lot of good movies on there but a lot of them are the ones that are on every top X anime movies list, so he's gonna try and make his own top 100 that excludes everything from that list.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Three Cookies posted:

spoilers for your list i guess but the only thing i remember about this movie is that a guy fights by riding a chainsaw in the first five minutes

lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight sucks in the worst kind of way. It's dull as hell! Unengaging direction that's way more concerned with pointless technical minutiae than anything else. Even when explosions are happening there's no weight to them. It's hard to retain knowledge of what's happening on screen, let alone get invested in it. And since it was planned to be a trilogy but flopped, it means it also ends on a sequel hook.

There was a lot of talented people that worked on it, mainly a lot of staff from Yamato. So it's a mystery how they managed to create something that's just so incredibly boring when they had proven themselves in the past!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Even monkeys fall from trees.

Yeah...

Probably the hardest fall I've seen in ages!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Normies, like nerds, is good now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gamer hell yeah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Three Cookies posted:

:rip: planet plaston